2010 NFL thread

MadDog2020

Well that's one factor...along with the Leon Washington situation (he played without his contract last year, got hurt and then dumped), Sean Gilbert being related to him - the former defensive end who held out for a year but got his money and Revis's own greed since he did hold out before he ever played a game and wants Asomugha money without finishing his rookie contract like Asomugha did and becoming a UFA.

One factor??? He wants to be paid as the best at his position, which means he makes more that Assomugha. If the standard for the position were $8 million per he would have signed already. Yes, he learned a valuable lesson, not just with Washington but also the Pete Kendal situation as well. I don't blame Revis.

Edited by MantaRay

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, like completion %, yards, TD's, and passes over 20+ yards for each guy.

I don't have the stats, but my guess is that Revis' completion percentage is off-the-charts good (bad for QBs). Did any receiver have a good game against him except Ted Ginn? That's what baffles me ... the guy was clearly a stud, yet teams kept throwing his way ... a lot. Rex Ryan's defense must have had something to do with that IMO.

Edited by Jerrydevil

I don't have the stats, but my guess is that Revis' completion percentage is off-the-charts good (bad for QBs). Did any receiver have a good game against him except Ted Ginn? That's what baffles me ... the guy was clearly a stud, yet teams kept throwing his way ... a lot. Rex Ryan's defense must have had something to do with that IMO.

I agree, I think teams think if they can beat the blitz they make that long gain against a lesser defended secondary. Its more a result of Rex Ryan's mad scientist D as an invitation to throw. But Revis just destroyed the leagues best.

I agree, I think teams think if they can beat the blitz they make that long gain against a lesser defended secondary. Its more a result of Rex Ryan's mad scientist D as an invitation to throw. But Revis just destroyed the leagues best.

I would think that without Revis, the Jets need to be a bit more conservative when they blitz (maybe that's one of the adjustments Rex Ryan has been talking about?). For good reason, it appears Ryan was willing to strand Darrelle on "Revis Island." One-on-one, even the best receivers couldn't beat him. That wouldn't be the case with anyone else.

That is inaccurate Crasher. He is holding out for all this stupid money because of stupid Al Davis.

And if Fat Boy didn't spend every waking second talking his man-love for Revis and getting him to the point of borderline over-hyped... you don't think he might have a more realistic approach?? But apparently the guy is so good he can father babies without impregnating a woman... so he MUST deserve all that money right???

I have found a lot of receiver stats but not a ton of QB stats against, and I really don't have the time to start looking at game logs for passes thrown at someone; I'm sure someone gets paid hansomely to do so.

The basics facts I can gather from a quick web search is as follows:

1) Revis is thrown at more. This is somewhat by design, as Ryan's schemes try to leave that as your only option, and the Raiders don't have Nnmadi play straight man against the opposing team's #1 receiver all game like the Jets do for Revis. And it's also by outside factors: the Raiders other corner (Chris Johnson?) is at best average, and their run defense was horrid.

2) Revis is a better tackler, having about 20 more tackles in 3 years than Nnmadi has in 7.

3) Revis had the better 2009. Revis' numbers against opposing wide receivers in 2009 were sick. Some stat analysis, courtesy of Profootballfocus.com:

-Allowed just 37.8 percent of balls thrown his way completed

-Surrendered a passer rating against of 32.3 during the regular season — 12.1 points lower than the nearest challenger

-Led the league with 23 pass deflections

I saw a stat somewhere on some forum that Nnmadi had a 128 QB rating against, but he was only thrown at 29 times in 9 weeks while Revis was thrown at 100ish during that same time. But it's pretty clear that, statistically and production-wise, Revis had a better year.

4) We have no indications whatsoever that Revis' year wasn't a "career year." It's impossible to tell, since he's not playing yet this year. And to be brutally honest, I can't blame him, in a business where the avg career is about 5 years, for looking for the most possible guaranteed cash. Even if it costs him 2010 (which I think will kill the Jets' Super Bowl championship hopes), he's doing right by himself.

And if Fat Boy didn't spend every waking second talking his man-love for Revis and getting him to the point of borderline over-hyped... you don't think he might have a more realistic approach?? But apparently the guy is so good he can father babies without impregnating a woman... so he MUST deserve all that money right???

No. Revis and his agents have been consistent about making more than the Raiders CB. Benchmark was set there.

Ryan was just psyching/boasting about the strength of the team and inadvertenly the PSL's.

No. Revis and his agents have been consistent about making more than the Raiders CB. Benchmark was set there.

Ryan was just psyching/boasting about the strength of the team and inadvertenly the PSL's.

and having your coach open his big stupid mouth about it is only fueling the fire and justifying what the agent is saying/demanding.... it's a dangerous game he's playing.....

and having your coach open his big stupid mouth about it is only fueling the fire and justifying what the agent is saying/demanding.... it's a dangerous game he's playing.....

To a minor degree. His stats and All-Pro status speak for them selves. Again if the Raider CB is making $10 million per, the deal would be done already.

He probably heard footsteps when you typed this. :lol:

Interesting to see this, as I remember Joe and Evan on 660 saying how they wished they had gotten Bulger as a backup instead of Brunell.

I love when Joe goes on these long rants about how he hates being a Jets, Mets, Knicks, and Rangers fan :giggle:

The starters will play a quarter each and will combine for about 6 points. The final will probably be closer than Manta prdicts, but it doesn't matter, as much as the teams/media make it matter. 24-20 Giants.

I made my predictions based on Keith Bullock's comments in an article in today's NYTIMES.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/16/sports/football/16rhoden.html?_r=1&ref=sports

“If you’re from New York, you know who New York’s football team is: the New York Giants,” Bulluck said. “The Jets haven’t won nothing since Broadway Joe.”

Someone noted that the Jets trotted out Namath during a recent Jets practice.

“Well, he might need to play,” Bulluck said.

I'm not going to be concerned with a win or loss one way or another. Steve Smith, Kenny Phillips, Keith Bulluck, Kevin Boss are some of the guys who aren't playing. The Giants actually have one tight end who is healthy right now (Bear Pascoe), so Herb Taylor (a rookie OL from TCU) and Dave Tollefson (a DE) are both going to be playing TE tonight :lol: The thing that intrigues me the most is if Osi backs up what he's been saying about him being back to Pro Bowl form.

Also, what's the over/under on the number of times the camera cuts to Rex Ryan on the sideline?