Hatcher: I'm A Red Wing Now

Nieuwy25

http://www.dallasnews.com/latestnews/stori...t.51dcace1.html

By MIKE HEIKA / The Dallas Morning News

The Detroit Red Wings fortified their bid to challenge for another Stanley Cup, signing longtime Stars captain Derian Hatcher on Thursday to a five-year, $30 million deal.

The signing ends two days of negotiations that had Hatcher bouncing back and forth between the Stars and on of their fiercest rivals. The Red Wings kept upping their offer to try to pry Hatcher away from Dallas and the Stars kept trying to come in a little under the Red Wings

Hicks sounds more like he's trying to dump salary...... first dumping Turgeon to the waiver wires, then trying to move Billy Guerin, now Hatcher

too bad we can't have Guerin back in Beantown, especially since supposedly the Red Wings want him back (please, take him!!!!!!!!!)

But alas, that is but a pipe dream.. no way Ebenezer Scrooge would dump Lapointe's 5 mile and add Guerin's salary.. Dumb*ss's should have signed guerin for the 4 year contract he wanted 2 years ago... he'd be making 4mil this year.

ps... according to ESPN. Modano is now captain

http://msn.espn.go.com/nhl/news/2003/0703/1576483.html

So this is what it's like for a player to leave a team he's been with for a long time and actually be civil about it...

Jeez....did Bobby ever thank the fans or anything when he left? Did he ever thank the organization?

I think I remember Bobby saying things more along the lines of "New Jersey is the past. I'm a New York Ranger now."

:angry:

Ilitch says they're going to use Hatcher on the point on the PP?

Geez, to put it in terms he understands, that's like having the pizza deliveryman also making the pizzas, without having any idea how to do it..

Huge signing though. With the return of Jiri Fischer, the Wings should have the best D in the league.

dd15 - I'd love to hear your reasons for not wanting Mo as Captain. Under the present circumstances I think he's the logical choice, though he wouldn't have been my first choice if certain other things hadn't happened. ;)

dd15 - I'd love to hear your reasons for not wanting Mo as Captain.  Under the present circumstances I think he's the logical choice, though he wouldn't have been my first choice if certain other things hadn't happened.   ;)

I mean right now he is the best choice. Billy is prolly hurt how they wanted to get rid of him, plus he hasn't been around for a very long time. Remember this is just what I think, I already had a huge fight with a modano friend of mine about this today. First off, Modano seems to be alittle immature, I am sorry but he just comes off that way to me. I know hes an amazing player but at times he tends to go back to his old ways of being a wuss. Most of the time when he gets taken down he will sit there and complain to the the ref about it rather than getting back up and skating to get caught up with the play. Then the rest of the game he will keep away from other players so he won't get hit and his game totally changes.

I know that doesn't effect his captain skills though. But the main thing is that I don't think he can take the pressure. I really don't and in the interview with him he made it clear that he would have to get use to that. I dont know what will happen but I just hope they get around the loss of a captain and a main player for the team. But wow, now that I think about it, Joe would have had my vote for capt if he was still in Dallas.

Im kinda curious as to why Guerin is looked at as such a leader in the locker room. I dont remember seeing any of that here or when he was in Edmonton. Hell im kinda suprised that players dont look at him poorly. He has been run out of 2 teams due to contract demands, and left a 3rd over the same issue. Just doesnt sound like a team player at the surface.

Would any of our ever so helpful dallas fans care to comment?

From what I heard though he's a big vocal guy on the Stars. They got rid of most of that when Hitch was there. Hull left, Keene, etc. Modano isn't that vocal from what I heard. Muller was a leader as well and he looks to be gone as well.

Im kinda curious as to why Guerin is looked at as such a leader in the locker room. I dont remember seeing any of that here or when he was in Edmonton. Hell im kinda suprised that players dont look at him poorly. He has been run out of 2 teams due to contract demands, and left a 3rd over the same issue. Just doesnt sound like a team player at the surface.

I can't really comment too much on the Dallas days, but I can on his Boston days.

He was the unspoken Captain while he was here (especially the year that Allison was Napoleon err.. captain), Guerin's second year there was no "official" captain, and Billy was it. He was a leader in the room, on the ice and off it too.

Maybe alot of it was because of him being from Mass (can't say boston, because Wilbraham is closer to NY than Boston), but he was well respected by the fans, media (hard thing to have happen here) and his teammates.

I've heard he was a bit of an arse in NJ and EDM, but that never was the case here, his contract demands weren't obscene, he went to arbitration and got his one year, and left his multiyear contract offer open for management to bite at. He wasn't looking for "Forsberg/Jagr" type money, heck, he wasn't even looking to get "marty Lapointe" money, BOS could have had him for 4 years at 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5mil respectively. Last year, BOS didn't even offer him a contract, or even attempt to call his agent back, even though his agent repeatedly called Mike O'Connell. He told the Boston Media he would have stayed for a lot less money then Dallas offered. That's Boston management for ya. Billy loved it here, and had 2 amazing years here, statistically, and we loved having him here. He was the best thing to happen to BOS since Cam Neely, and still the only good trade that Mike O'Connell has made in his tenure.

I'll second what dallasdevil15 said. Guerin isn't afraid to speak up and the Stars don't have any of those guys anymore. A very different kind of team than the one that won the Cup. They had a Who's Who of leaders on that team - Carbonneau, Keane, Skrudland, Nieuwy, Hatch, Hull - all gone. :(

This is great Colorado adds 2 of the offensive players in the league and detroits adds a top defensemen. Colorado still doesn't have a goalie they will be nothing next year and the cup will be back in hockey town. And last of all the devils suck

How did this nick get approved? :blink:

Guerin was a good Dev while he was here but seems like a bit of a snake in the grass, he bitches about money alot (well he did here). I don't see him as a C, he may have the nouth for it but not, IMO, the right attitude (makes me wonder about Hatcher....). Modano doesn't seem to have enough backbone to be the C (that sounds negative but I am thinking the same as Twisted). I'm not a Stars fan so I don't know.

Guerin was a good Dev while he was here but seems like a bit of a snake in the grass, he bitches about money alot (well he did here).

Worse yet, Billme complained bout $$$, sat out, and wanted that huge raise after he BLEW for us in the playoffs in '97! How can I forget his "stellar" performance against the Ranger$$$?????? :blink: After that point on, I couldn't wait for his ass to be traded!!!