Rats To Play Regular Season Game At Caa

RowdyFan42

The American Hockey League released its schedule yesterday, and for the first time ever the Albany River Rats will play a regular season home game away from the Pepsi Arena. The Rats will take on the Bridgeport Sound Tigers at Continental Airlines Arena on Thursday, January 22, 2004 at 7:00 PM. The Sound Tigers are the top minor-league affiliate of the New York Islanders. Ticket info for this game is not known at this time.

Also, the AHL will follow the NHL's lead this season by having home teams wear their dark uniforms while road teams don their light jerseys.

You can download the 2003-2004 AHL schedule here: Composite / Team-By-Team

(How'd you like that? I did it all press release-y and everything! :uni: )

I know you guys probably like this, but it doesn't seem to be going over well up here. I know I'm a little ticked myself, but I guess it'll be good exposure for the team. Just do us a favor and pack the joint, mmkay?

Wouldn't you be a little upset if you were a season ticket holder and payed for 40 games, yet only received 39. The main selling point for season tickets is the same seat for every game. They are probably going to only offer a ticket voucher for a seat. How do you think the corperations who own the prime seats would feel if the Devils played a regular season game in Albany and they were not guarenteed the prime seats and had to take seats in the upper level? Besides even if I was able to have the same seats at the CAA as I do at the Pepsi. I would probably not be able to go anyway. Who can drive down there on a week night and make it to work the next day. Very poor planing by management.

Personally, I'd like to see the Rats play in Jersey all the time. Philly has the Flyers and the Phantoms in Philadelphia.

Aren't they the only team with that setup though? What other team has their farm team in the same city? None I think.

Nah, this hell's pretty stale. I believe NewarkDevil5's been proposing the Rats move to the CAA for quite some time now, and a couple others here and there seem to like the idea.

Besides, PK, as you well know, Albany is a graveyard for minor pro sports teams. It's only a matter of time before they leave.

(Sorry to be so depressing, BTW...)

Actually, at this time the only thing that the Devils could do is not renew there working agreement with the Rats after the 03-04 season. I've heard that the management/ownership of the Rats has been looking to build it's own 4 to 5 thousand seat venue in the Albany area as I believe the lease with county for the Pepsi arena ends in 03-04 as well.

If the affiliation is not renewed there would be 4 possible options for the Riverrats:

1) Operate as an independent team in the AHL.

2) Sign a new agreement with a different NHL team.

3) Move down to the UHL or ECHL

4) Fold

As stated above with the rumors of them trying to build a smaller venue options 2 and 3 seem the most logical.

However, there could be a good chance at renewel of the working agreement with the Devils. Location and less pressure being in a smaller town could help the prospects, adjust to pro hockey.

but any frac, HERE in my opinion anyhow you've hit the nail on the head as to why they should stay put:

However, there could be a good chance at renewel of the working agreement with the Devils. Location and less pressure being in a smaller town could help the prospects, adjust to pro hockey.

And upstate is sort of burghy like most of these guys' home towns!

Personally, I'd like to see the Rats play in Jersey all the time. Philly has the Flyers and the Phantoms in Philadelphia.

Yes, but don't they practice & hold their press conferences in NJ at the Flyers Skate Zone in Voorhees? It's not like all of their business is in Philly. In this case, I wish it did. It makes me :puke: to think that JR lives in NJ.

I was LIVID when I heard this, being a season ticket holder to the Rats! Frac was right, we payed for 40 games but are only going to get 39 in Albany. Also, prices for the tix went up about $50! Instead of paying $9/game for 40 games, we're paying $10 for 39! Trust me, the angry letter to the Rats is going out on Monday!

The way they're going to squirm their way out of this one is saying that a ticket to the CAA game will be included with the rest, so we did actually pay for 40 games, and we are getting tickets to 40 games. They'll probably suggest that we still can exchange the tickets for tickets to another game, but that's not the point!

As for the Rats staying in Albany, it's just not the best financial situation. They have to be losing a lot of money every year (when you rent out a 14,000 seat arena and only have 3,000 show up, it's got to cost money). I've always believed that the Rats have to fire every single person in the front office and hire people who actually know how to promote a hockey team. Last year, I saw a commercial for the Rats (which in itself shocked me to no end) for a game that had taken place the previous weekend!

Sorry for the long post. When I get mad, I get wordy!

Fidgetess:

"Last year, I saw a commercial for the Rats (which in itself shocked me to no end) for a game that had taken place the previous weekend!"

I guess Jon Scherzer isn't doing a good job :P .