Jagr Confirms Trade Rumors

insanity_gallops

Jagr confirms Rangers trade rumors

TSN.ca Staff

9/12/2003

Jaromir Jagr says he expected to open training camp in New York this fall, rather than Washington.

Jagr confirmed on Thursday that the Capitals were close to dealing him to the New York Rangers this off-season.

"It was not just rumors, it was pretty close to happening and then it didn't happen," Jagr said on the opening day of training camp.

Jagr harbours no ill-feelings towards the Capitals, acknowledging that its all part of the business of hockey.

"It happens. For whatever reason they wanted to trade me. Maybe I didn't play the way they expected me to play, maybe it's money problems or maybe it's because the lockout is going to be next year."

"If I was the owner I would try to do the same thing. There is no hard feelings."

The big obstacle in trading Jagr is the $55-million remaining on a seven year, $77-million deal he signed two years ago following his trade from Pittsburgh.

While team officials have refused to confirm it, the Capitals reportedly gave Jagr permission to speak to the Rangers about a possible deal back in June. The Capitals were even willing to assume some of Jagr's salary as part of any deal. However, the 31-year-old refused to alter terms of the option year of his contract and the deal never happened.

The news that New York will likely be without sniper Pavel Bure for the season could re-ignite trade talks between the two teams.

Jagr says he's prepared to deal with whatever comes up.

"I am happy to be here and if [a trade] happens next week, then I will pack my stuff and go."

In two seasons with Washington, Jagr has failed to score more than 40 goals or 80 points while the team has failed to advance past the first round of the playoffs.

Just when the Rangers lines were looking sane, they're trying to go out and acquire another chemistry killer. Jagr isn't going to get 90 points as a ranger for sure and will probably get traded for prospects and take away palying time from prospects that won't be traded (Lundmark?) O well, have fun after 2004 NYR.

I don't buy it. Jagr is a nutcase and as believable as the Warren Commission. This is a garbage story and everyone always like to believe stuff with the Rangers. Jagr is desperate to get out of D.C. and he'd even lie to the press to get his wish.

He'd lie to go to New York?

At least in Washington there's no fans to get on his case.

I'd believe it. Why wouldn't the Rangers go after Jagr? Plus, he can get 90 points in his sleep. He did it the last two years, practically.

I think he'll re-assert himself this year, and despite not being dominant like he was in Pittsburgh, he'll put up near 100 points.

He would make the Ranger$ dangerous -- but see i have a feeling dangerous literally -- Holik and kaspar are going to have chips on their shoulders and -- I don't know I just think they're going to be mean and sloppy and add a nasty self righteous scoring threat like jagr to that and I don't know -- it just makes for some serious bullsh!t f^cked up mess play that's going to drive me crazy. I don't trust Holik to hang on to his maturity to be perfectly honest - not only is there no one their to keep him honest there are poeple there telling him to get dirty. Glad McCarthy is gone.

He'd lie to go to New York?

At least in Washington there's no fans to get on his case.

I'd believe it. Why wouldn't the Rangers go after Jagr? Plus, he can get 90 points in his sleep. He did it the last two years, practically.

I think he'll re-assert himself this year, and despite not being dominant like he was in Pittsburgh, he'll put up near 100 points.

The fans do get on his case. He is looked at as the sole reason why the Capitals don't win, if they don't win, or win, if they do win. They act like he IS the team.

Baah...Jagr is trying to find an out, and he's just not getting one.

It's nice to see I'm not the only one who sees Jagr for what he really is. With camps beginning, Jagr isn't getting moved. So, he's trying to create more aggravation for his current employer so that he gets out of there.

It's nice to see I'm not the only one who sees Jagr for what he really is. With camps beginning, Jagr isn't getting moved. So, he's trying to create more aggravation for his current employer so that he gets out of there.

That may be true, but who's to say the Caps weren't trying to move him to the Ranger$; I'm sure they don't want to be paying $55 million to any player if they're gonna be no better than a first round out in the playoffs, especially a $55 million malcontent. How many other teams can afford that? And the Rangers almost traded for Jagr before the Caps did too, so they've had interest before.

That may be true, but who's to say the Caps weren't trying to move him to the Ranger$; I'm sure they don't want to be paying $55 million to any player if they're gonna be no better than a first round out in the playoffs, especially a $55 million malcontent. How many other teams can afford that? And the Rangers almost traded for Jagr before the Caps did too, so they've had interest before.

They probably were. If you read some of Larry Brooks' columns back in June, it was the Caps that were floating Jagr out there. They were desperate to get rid of him and not even the Rangers would bite. If they didn't get him when Pittsburgh put him up, they never were going to. Pitt held Sather up for a randsom of prospects. That's why the Rangers bowed out.

If you've read the recent quotes from Slats on Bure, he was preparing for life after Pavel with the acquisitions of Kovalev and Carter. Just another reason Jagr to NY makes no sense. They don't need Jagr and have a very formidable lineup up front.

If you've read the recent quotes from Slats on Bure, he was preparing for life after Pavel with the acquisitions of Kovalev and Carter. Just another reason Jagr to NY makes no sense. They don't need Jagr and have a very formidable lineup up front.

eXactly. Why bring in another top-line RW, with an $11 million price tag when the Rangers already have two fantastic RWs?

To deal Carter somewhere else for defensive help. I'm sure he could fetch Jiri Fischer from Detroit, for example. As the season progressed, a trade would easily open up that could involve either Carter or Kovalev, and since neither developed any chemistry with the Rangers anyway, it would be a worthwhile upgrade.

Jagr gets 90 points in his sleep. He's a better team player than Bure, and Lindros with Jagr could be a very frightening thing indeed (although not really since they both need the puck to succeed).

The Rangers already defied logic by acquiring an extra RW last season, and by shifting players out of position to justify other players' presences in the lineup. Why should it be any different this year? And since it's obvious money is no object to the Dolans, why should Jagr's price tag matter?

Triumph:

"Why should it be any different this year? And since it's obvious money is no object to the Dolans, why should Jagr's price tag matter?"

Because it will be. Slats is running the show and has his players in place. He brought two guys back he was familiar with to fill the LW void. He already has his first two lines in place. Mark it down:

Rucinsky-Lindros-Carter

Hlavac-Nedved-Kovalev

There aren't many spots left. Lundmark has the open chance to play RW on Holik's side. Originally, the other side was Simon's but the new kid from the University of Harvard Dominic Moore has impressed early on and could make a push for that spot. That leaves Messier (team's biggest obstacle) to center the 4th line with grunt guys like LaCouture and Petrovicky competing to play on the other side with Barnaby.

There seems to be an actual plan this time. There's no room for anyone else up front.

I'll go on record and echo the sentiments of Sheeps: "This is the best roster the Rangers have had in 6-7 years."

It doesn't guarantee success and I have my doubts with the D. I have no expectations and am done making predictions. This goes for the rest of the NHL too.

Any deal concerning Jagr, to the Rangers or any other team will require players with significant contracts going back to Washington. The only time any sort of deal made sense was BEFORE we found out Bure was done. Right now there is just no one the Rangers would or could deal to make this move happen.

Rangers deal Bure and his 10 for one year, get Jagr's 11 for the next 5. Even then, 4 more years @ 11 per has got to be a huge sticking point. This isn't a couple of million, this is more money then the Rangers or just about anyone (less Yashin's contract) has ever given to a player. I know they appear to have no budget, but 55 million clams is 55 million clams.

Carter makes 2.6 this year and is UFA after the season (makes you really wonder why Edmonton dealt him for Dvorak at 2.0). Cannot trade 55 million for 2.6. Lundmark makes what a 1st rounder makes, 1 and change. Again, cannot deal him for 55 million. The only players with significant $$$ that could be dealt, Holik, and Lindros, they just do not make any sense to deal for Jagr.

Could the Rangers deal Nedved? Sure, but he was apart of that Pitt connection when he had his two best years. If you were keeping Jagr you'd probably want Nedved on that team.

Jagr is still a great player. If he's right, he is right up there with anyone. At a time where very few score a point-per game, he still does.

It appears the Rangers probably have some left over cash with the insurance money they will be getting from Bure. Now they have certainly spent some with the contracts to AK, Carter, Rucinsky, and Hlavac. This season's deadline is going to be VERY interesting, impossible to predict. Will teams be loading up for guys who's contracts run out after this year, making guys who have contracts past this year available for pennies on the dollar? Who the heck knows. If the Rangers could somehow get their act together for 65-70 games, and play like the names on the back of their jersey's, they can be in a very good position.