Most Hated/Most Respected Former NJ Devil?

grcenter47

I got this from another hockey message board, but they were talking about different teams

I was just wondering who everyone thinks is the most hated Ex Devil and the most respected Ex Devil. By this mean, they were Devils and then went to another team to play either for money or for other reasons...etc

My obvious answer would have to be Scott Gomez as the most hated or possibly a Bobby Holik

When it comes to respected, I want to say Brian Rafalski or maybe a Scott Niedermayer?

Any thoughts?

Edited by grcenter47

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nieds is probably most respected. Just look at how many people still want to retire his # even after he left :koolaid:

I don't know how many people still hate Scott Gomez that much since he became such a laughingstock. idk if Sutter counts, but he's probably right up there too. It's probably one of those too just because Holik eventually came back and really not too many guys have left via free agency or by their own will.

Nieds is probably most respected. Just look at how many people still want to retire his # even after he left :koolaid:

I don't know how many people still hate Scott Gomez that much since he became such a laughingstock. idk if Sutter counts, but he's probably right up there too. It's probably one of those too just because Holik eventually came back and really not too many guys have left via free agency or by their own will.

Rafalski was the one player who made my heart drop when he was not a Devil anymore. He always will be my favorite player right up there with Scott Stevens

I would agree also about Brent Sutter as well

Most respected is definitely Scotty Nieds. The guy wanted to win a Cup with his brother, just a class act altogether. Sutter also left to be with family but it was just shady the way it went down.

Most hated for me is Gomez, even though he's not the player he once was. Holik was in the same category until he came back as an old man and I think all was forgotten.

I loved Madden too and I'm glad he got to win another Cup.

I find Gomez, Holik, Madden -- they're all kind of pathetic to me :noclue:

Madden was always though, I just get to say it now. Love him on ice but he's just one pathetic dude by choice. Not bad - just a guy I'd be emotionally exhausted to be around and... if he's too much to even be one of my "projects" you know -- just blahhhh. he has very specific values that I partially approve of - but he gives himself permission to be a weak weak person. :yucky:

I don't hate Niedermayer - I think he's a schmuck. I don't respect him. He's nothing a but a sack of wasted potential to me. ESPECIALLY when you see his successes. He picks and chooses and does as little as possible. I'm sure he laughs his ass off on his Norris winning season -- or else feels all put upon and whiney like he earned it or something - leading the Devils to another sh!tty playoff exit. " :evilcry: But I didn't have Scott Stevens... whawhawha..." the only guy who gets a Norris for merely carrying on without a non-Norris winning defenseman. never ceases to piss me off.

Gomez is just sad. Luckily he's stupid so he'll be happy -- he's also smart enough to know he made a massive miscalculation and I have no problem with him being able to hash it all out and feel it's all for the best. Because he knows it's not deep down :giggle:. He can hate Lou for it but he's the losing a$$hole in the end.

:giggle: OK -- the kool aide drinker in me respects What Tommy Albaline (Albelin -- albalene is my make-up remover - I can't keep em straight!) did a lot. Now THAT takes quite a set. He just didn't take no for an answer. He was like Milton from Office Space. He was SUPPOSED to be an ex-Devil but just wouldn't let it happen. How adorable is that?

I guess the worst most selfish man who knew exactly what he was doing - just a weak willed zero pride zero loyalty zero character - the antithesis of who he was thought to be -- is Brent Sutter. Even then I dont hate him... guys liek that you're always better without.

The only guy we could have used and could have stayed but was just a dick because the temptation to be one was just too awesome was Niedermayer though.

I dont hate or respect anyone who chose to leave the organization I guess is the bottom line. They basically lose all relevance once they leave. You just get to see their true colors more clearly.

Edited by Pepperkorn

Stevens is definitely much more universally respected than Niedermeyer or Rafalski. I would say even more so than Brodeur.

I don't think anyone would debate that, but it's not the point of the post: "they were Devils and then went to another team to play either for money or for other reasons...etc"

Steve Thomas :puke:

Respected? Not Rafalski after the parking lot comment shot.

I'd have to go with Laurie Boschmann even though he was claimed in the expansion draft. He was devastated.

Albelin too, good post above about how he fought to come back. He was at the 2000 Cup Clincher in Dallas being interviewed following the game even though he had no part of the organ-EYE-zation. Just there supporting the boys. The guy was/is a KoolAid drinker.....and a two time Cup Winner.

I feel like it's a lot easier to think of guys for the Respected list than it is the the Hated list (and people say we're a negative fan base ... pssshhhh). Add Sarge and Zelepukin to the Respected list for me.

Edit: Gilmour too. Tough not to respect that guy.

Edited by DaneykoIsGod

Most hated would be Gomez to me. Most respected Nieds.

Mike

Eventually, people will remember the good from the Scott Gomez years. Most have already softened their stance on Holik. The same will happen for Gomez, who had a pretty good run here.

I love Gomez! I don't respect him. I don't really want him back either. He'd have to show he really wanted to be back. I don't think he'd ever want to!

I love Gomez! I don't respect him. I don't really want him back either. He'd have to show he really wanted to be back. I don't think he'd ever want to!

I liked that he wasn't the typical drone who plays for us. Plus, he could pass the puck ... I don't even know what that looks like anymore!

Play maker... Gomez was a play maker -- like he goofed around a lot? He played around with women?

What is this playmaking of which you speak?

I wish they could grow another Gomez -- except breed in some Parise work ethic and patience.

Yes, Gomez's personality and playmaking with Parise's work ethic would be some combination.

Traveling alone?