Hatcher To The Devils

Derian Hatcher will be an UFA at the end of this season. Now I'm sure Dallas is going to resign him but should he hit free agency on July 1st the Devils should do everything they can to get him.

Give him the money that was allocated for Holik, give him 9 mil if he wants, but bring him to the swamp.

Hatcher on the Devils would give the Devils the best defense, maybe in the history of the NHL. More importantly, getting Hatcher gives the Devils someone to lean on when Stevens retires. When he does retire the Devils will have a huge void to fill, Hatcher will fit it.

Think about it, it could work.

Devils do need someone like Hatcher, but not Hatcher himself... Colin White, if he stays with the Devils for 5 or 6 more years, has the potential to become Hatcher..I've never been impressed with Derian and I never will be, he's a bit of a pylon and uses the stick way too much.

When Stevens leaves, the Devils should actually dip into the UFA pool and try to pull someone out .. use Stevens old money to buy a defensive defenseman of his caliber.. hard to say who'll be available in 2 years, though. There's no way Hale will be ready for top-4 duty in 2 years, even if he does leave college after this year..

Rumor is that the Stars are offering a Hatcher-Arnott package around the league..

Gee why do you want to improve the Devils so much? (Or is it an improvement? I'm not so sure Hatcher isn't on the downward spiral in his career.) Why don't we combine your last posted trade proposal with this one? Why don't the Devils trade Brodeur for Hatcher? :P

Right now the D definitely doesn't need improvement. But next season Daneyko will be gone and Stevens can't fight off old age forever.

Fact is Stevens is the glue on the team and you have to prepare for life after Stevens now, not once he's gone. Getting Hatcher after this year would do the trick.

If people think that White or some other kid can replace Stevens prescene on the ice fine, but I just don't see that happening.

Why would Buffalo want Niedermayer and Madden?

They already have Zhitink and Woolley as offensive defensemen. Campbell is waiting for his shot to replace Woolley.

Why Madden? He's just another Todd Marchant. He's not likely to score 30 goals.. Johnny doesn't have very good hands. Plus, he's not very big. He's probably the best 4th line center in the league, but as a 3rd line center, I'm not convinced he'll be effective.

The Sabres would be throwing away 55 goals a year for 25. They don't particularly need Niedermayer, their defense is actually fairly solid, although losing Smehlik will hurt. They need Afinogenov and Connolly to step up their games a notch.

WHY ARE WE SO SET ON TRADING NEIDS????

Has he played that bad??? I know he has not lived up to his expefctations...but those expectations had him swecond to only the great Bobby ORE....NOWAY he could have ever fulfilled those expectations!!

Neids is the most talented devil right now...like I said earlier if you are not bring back Forsberg...then it no deal.

This is why Hatcher makes sense, you don't have to give anything up.

Whether or not Hatcher is overrated he is undeniably one of the top 10 defensive d-men in the league, just like Stevens is.

Like I said, don't underestimate what Stevens retirement is going to do to the Devils. Getting Hatcher next year would be smart.

This is why Hatcher makes sense, you don't have to give anything up.

Whether or not Hatcher is overrated he is undeniably one of the top 10 defensive d-men in the league, just like Stevens is.

Disregarding his lovely elbow to Sykora's head in the playoffs, I've still never been a big DeriASS Hatcher fan :P . I agree with those who feel he's over-hyped and over-rated. If we are going to dip into the UFA pool with the intent of replacing Stevens (which is doubtful, when is the last time Lou kept his own UFA much less TOOK someone else's?), I'd prefer it to be someone else and not Hatcher.

With Hale and Cole in the minors hopefully we'll have 2 solid blueliners in our future. I not only hope we don't get Hatcher but I hope he has the worst year of his career before contract time. Cheap shot artist now, will only get worse as his skills erode. I am all for us making a move but not this one.

#32.....here is my list of Defensive D-men better than Hatcher (in no order.....just all better):

Chelios, Blake, Foote, Lidstrom, Pronger, McCabe, Salei, McLaren, Stevens, Chara, Kasparatis, Hill, Jovonoski, Witt, and even Matvichuk