Let's review the goals on Brodeur

SterioDesign

DevsMan does have a point. Marty struggled a bit on his return from injury and I think he was played almost every single game from his return to the playoffs. The thing about having Clemmenson play in the playoffs isn't entirely insane. Like I've said before, you had a team with a heightened sense that their goaltender isn't a Brodeur caliber net minder which keeps them on their toes. Perhaps if Clemmer were in net then the defense doesn't get lazy a Gleason doesn't manage to keep a clear in the zone and the Canes don't score a backdoor shot.

Great point with the bolded part. I've said the same thing. We didn't win games in 2009 because of him; the whole team got their act together and realized the future HOF goalie wouldn't be there to bail them out.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recall us limping into the playoffs. I don't have anything on hand but I believe we were something like 0-6 in our final 6 games in 08-09

Yeah and that has been fairly consistent with the Devils in recent seasons. In the 06 and 07 playoffs, the Devils were in riding on a winning streak. In the past 3 seasons, the devils went into the playoffs either in a losing streak or having consistency issues. I wondered before on another thread that maybe the Devils are getting the suckiness stink out early in this season, and maybe have a great 2nd half to have momentum going into the playoffs.

No. I'm saying that a rested Brodeur could have given this team a chance to win the Cup a few more times.

I remember many more years pre-lockout where the team just sucked offensively and Marty would lose series with a GAA of 1.5. Rest hasn't been an issue until post-lockout and most of those teams weren't good enough to contend for the Cup anyway.

You are comparing replacing a quarterback who was injured in his prime to a goalie who was injured on his decline. Should the Pats keep Brady forever and disregard any type of replacement, even if Brady is throwing interceptions constantly?

How has Brodeur been 'throwing interceptions constantly' when he's been a finalist basically every year for the Vezina and won it a few times? I think it's valid to say he should sit more for the good of the team in April, but there's a big difference between that and just kicking the guy out on the street altogether. It's like Yankee fans who want to start life after Rivera every time he blows a save.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Blocker, glove, he lets in goals constantly coming off the wings. I don't know if it's because he's squaring up or what but that's been his weakness. Who was the Pen that scored the goal on that Kovy turnover? Almost the same angle just a little closer on the Cody McLeaod goal. He gave up the same kind of goal from Eric Staal in game 7 of the 08-09 playoffs. He's just no good at guarding shots off the wings.

I have one thing to say about this and that is to say Marty's skills are declining is reasonable and no one should have expected this to not be happening at his age, but to say we, instead of starting Marty, should have started a career AHL goalie with absolutely no real NHL experience beyond that stretch where he filled in while Marty was hurt is absolutely a ridiculous and outrageous statement. To say that is truly heresy and an attack on all that is the Devils. You can't possible say something to a true Devil's fan that would incite more rage and anger than something like that. How could you have expected to get any other types of responses than those of people saying you're retarded when you said the things you did. In my eyes and what I think every true Devil's fan should believe is that Lou is God and Marty is the second coming of Christ. To say such heretical things against the church of the Devil should garner the type of responses you got.

I'm a fan, good times or bad, but everyone needs to chill out about everything going on this season. It's only 6 games and everyone wants to trade our captain, Devils lifer Elias, and bench Marty. You're all retarded for thinking such things. Stfu and watch how this season gets turned around real fast and you're all saying gee wiz, Marty at his age is still the best and blah blah blah blah. If the season doesn't get turned around, well I guess we'll see who are the true fans and who were only the fair weather types.

Oh and Ungar, that justintv feed you watched, no one liked you there because you were being a troll and saying retarded sh!t. Be dumb and you will be treated as such.

Edited by ATLL765

In my eyes and what I think every true Devil's fan should believe is that Lou is God and Marty is the second coming of Christ. To say such heretical things against the church of the Devil should garner the type of responses you got.

LOL!

Oh and Ungar, that justintv feed you watched, no one liked you there because you were being a troll and saying retarded sh!t.

No, it was because their was an anti-DR bias over there, and I was discriminated against by mods that who objected to me posting a DR.com link. BTW-that particular feed is now history because of what happened that night.

No, it was because their was an anti-DR bias over there, and I was discriminated against by mods that who objected to me posting a DR.com link. BTW-that particular feed is now history because of what happened that night.

There was a strict no-link policy there. They don't want people advertising various websites. It didn't seem too anti-DR.com to me, until you made it so.

Those toolbags were attacking me for wanting Brodeur to be rested!

I'm not going to pretend to have watched that entire fiasco go down (I was in the njdevs chat), but it sure seemed like you instigated it. Forgive me if I'm wrong here, but, like I said, it seemed like you came in, posted a link, got kicked, and then started flaming people. I could very well be wrong, but it seemed like the entire situation could've been avoided if you had just accepted the no-link policy :noclue:

SO you would start an aging goaltender who has lost a step or 2 over a goalie who has put up similar numbers during the same season? If you believe he had any real chance to win the Vezina, then again that is a Kool-Aid drinker hallmark. Even Puck Daddy Greg W questioned it and he is huge Devils homer.

I am not pulling any kind of victim card, I am just stating how it is that people who think Brodeur is any less than stellar are called trolls. If I am the only one to think Clemmer should have started that series, then lets leave it at that and not call for my banning.

Also loved your back-handed comment about my Hockey IQ. I may not know everything or as much as some others on the board about hockey, but I think I know at least a decent amount.

If I would state that I wanted Clemmer to start in goal rather than Marty because I wanted the Devils to lose and to show everyone how much Marty sucks, then I can def see that as a troll comment. No arguement there. But what I am saying is that Clemmer was playing well, and the team also happened to play a tighter defense around him as well, which helped him too. I thought it would carry over into the playoffs against Carolina. And what happened at the end of game 7? A defensive breakdown that lead to a goal by Staal that Marty most likely would have caught years ago. Marty is getting older and his glove is slower. Take a look at the Pittsburgh and Colorado games this year for an example of that.

I was going to let this die but have a couple points. did I say he would win the Vezina? no I said he was a Vezina finalist. My understanding is that the 3 finalist were the 3 top vote getters (gm's voting). Meaning that enough GM's thought Marty was in the top 3 to put give him votes. As I said earlier, marty may not be as good as he once was, but he is still a top goalie. And to compare a career ahl'er to him is an insult. Simple as that. That has nothing to do with being a devils fan. Simialr numbers does not equate similar skill.

If you are arguing that they should have put a lesser skilled player on the ice to make the rest of the tem play better that is almost as bad. Suppose you are a player and your coach puts in a player (in the most important position) that everyone in that locker room knows isn't as good(and for for an injury which would be different). You think they will react favorably? I'm going to give it my all? know, you are going to give up becase you coach has already given up.

You really think colin white woulnd't have gone for the big hit and put himself out of position if clemmer was in net?

As for the nhl IQ. It wasn't a back handed slap(although again, everytime someone disagreed with you you called them a devils dancers, kool aid drinkier, you need to get a thicker skin). It's more along the lines of if that you feel clemmer is in Marty's league, i don't know what opinion of your I would trust when it comes to hockey. I really don't know any of your other opinions, but to me they are tainted.

If I said that the buffalo bills are going to win the superbowl this year. Would you trust anything I said about football from that point forward?

I was going to let this die but have a couple points. did I say he would win the Vezina? no I said he was a Vezina finalist. My understanding is that the 3 finalist were the 3 top vote getters (gm's voting). Meaning that enough GM's thought Marty was in the top 3 to put give him votes. As I said earlier, marty may not be as good as he once was, but he is still a top goalie. And to compare a career ahl'er to him is an insult. Simple as that. That has nothing to do with being a devils fan. Simialr numbers does not equate similar skill.

If you are arguing that they should have put a lesser skilled player on the ice to make the rest of the tem play better that is almost as bad. Suppose you are a player and your coach puts in a player (in the most important position) that everyone in that locker room knows isn't as good(and for for an injury which would be different). You think they will react favorably? I'm going to give it my all? know, you are going to give up becase you coach has already given up.

You really think colin white woulnd't have gone for the big hit and put himself out of position if clemmer was in net?

As for the nhl IQ. It wasn't a back handed slap(although again, everytime someone disagreed with you you called them a devils dancers, kool aid drinkier, you need to get a thicker skin). It's more along the lines of if that you feel clemmer is in Marty's league, i don't know what opinion of your I would trust when it comes to hockey. I really don't know any of your other opinions, but to me they are tainted.

If I said that the buffalo bills are going to win the superbowl this year. Would you trust anything I said about football from that point forward?

And remember the controversy and semi-outrage from pretty much every non-devils hockey fan when he was even nominated for a Vezina? Most people would agree that last year he should have not even be in the top 3, and that his regular season numbers were inflated playing in from of a tight defensive system of Lemaire.

Also, I call people Devils Dancers and Kool-Aid drinkers after they call me to get banned or call me a troll for posting my opinion. If you said Buffalo was your favorite team and are still going to win the Super Bowl, then I would say you are a homer and leave it at that. I would not berate you and say you dont know a touchdown from a fumble.

I do take criticisms well, as long as they are constructive and not making back-handed comments at me and assuming that I dont know a puck from a helmet. I also do not like it when after I post a comment that disagrees with most of the board that I get instantly called a troll.

Again, I suggest Clemmer should have been in net because I thought and still think the Devils would have played a little more responsibly in their own zone and would win that series. I am NOT saying that Clemmer should have played as a big "fvck you" to Marty and that I wanted them to lose on purpose. Now THAT is a troll comment.