Game Thread

Devils731

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the game was very good. The Devils played well but not great. The Nieds goal was bogus and when he clipped Belanger it was because of unavoidable contact. Way to go Devils! Let's keep it up against the Quackers!

Have you watched any of our games 783? We hardly get any breaks. They invented some phantom calls on Holik the other night and tonight was similar on one instance. The Devils get away with more stuff than any other team. That's one of the reasons your team is always least penalized.

Come on Derek! The Devils are called as much as the rest of the league. Would that they were given the leeway the Wangs and Divalanche are! Leafs and Rangers tend to push the envelope when they know they're getting away with stuff and then they'll suffer a little backlash in following games. I HAVE noticed that.

And in defense of Derek I think of all Ranger fans, if one would say they got away with something it would be Derek. But you would probably insert a clapping smilie! :P

but who gives a crap it was a shut out anyhow - I don't think it was such a moral booster or buster normally that kind of thing works against anyhow firing up the offended team..

I'm multi tasking so I hope this makes sense.

I think what Derek was getting at - and I don't mean to start a war here, I'm not sure what he was getting at - was that the Devils take more interference penalties, such as holding or obstruction, than other teams. These penalties don't get called. He's not saying that they go out high-sticking guys and get away with it. Sure, they did last night, but that's not typical. If you don't think the Devils hold and obstruct players a lot and get away with it, I'd suggest opening your eyes while watching Devils games.

Another point I'd like to make is that referees are biased. Read a book by any former NHL referee and they'll admit to their bias. I mean sure, Bertuzzi is a rough player, but some of the penalties he gets are just cause of his bad reputation. The Devils, for the most part, have a good repuation. I mean, if you were reffing a game with Rafalski, would you call many penalties on him? He had 14 PIM's last year! But at the same time, watch him play. I am willing to bet my life that every single game he commits a holding or interference penalty seven times.

Now that's bias.

No I think Derek said what he typed or else he would have specified exactly what he meant, like interference, holding, etc. He said the Devils get away with the most than any other team. A statement only to laugh at.

Do you watch the games, NJay?

I'll continue with my example. Say a guy dumps a puck into our zone. His goal is to race for the puck and beat out the defenseman. When they do it against Rafalski, #28 holds him up just inside the blue line while Stevens collects the puck. Same if you reversed the roles. That's interference. They NEVER get called for it.

That's the truth.

You can not say Rafalski doesn't do that. He does it all the time. Same with Stevens and White.

We get away with a lot of interference penalties. That is FACT. If you want to laugh at it, feel free.

The Devils get away with more stuff than any other team. That's one of the reasons your team is always least penalized.

:blink: Uh, Derek, sorry bud, but rationally you can't believe this statement. How can you honestly think we get away with more crap than ANY team in the NHL?? Not true at all! In fact, you know it's pretty sad when I'm watching the game last night going "Hmm, this is a rarity, FOR ONCE the ref's actually calling things in favor of NJ over the other team" :lol: . Typically the game is called neutrally or WE are the ones getting hosed.

As for some of the questionable calls, I did think the Miller penalty was bogus since it seemed like a Dev (Langenbrunner?) partly pushed him into his own net. About the Nieder high stick that wasn't called, I've seen those let go for other teams too so it's hardly necessarily the case of the refs being biased in our favor. It looked like Nied may have been trying to clear or get to the puck and missed. Or as Don said, he maybe was off balance. I really can't have that much sympathy for L.A. on the Nied goal because it looked like their goalie Huet was OUTSIDE the crease; if so, isn't he fair game then? Plus he seemed to embellish :P it a bit as it seemed like Elias made more incidental contact rather than bowling him over.

Edited by MaddDog

I usually think the commentators on fox covering LA are good, but today they where i a whining mood... it started even before the game when they heard that Palfy wouldn't play.

No doubt, I noticed this just like you and Scott did. I actually don't typically watch alot of Kings games due to the time constraints (can't stay up that late most nights) but these guys were such whiny bitches last night, especially the color commentator :P !!!! It got to the point where I was GLAD they were getting screwed on a couple of calls because they kept crying about everything!!!!!!

Edited by MaddDog

We get away with a lot of interference penalties. That is FACT. If you want to laugh at it, feel free.

But using this logic, I think almost EVERY team in the NHL gets away with such interference penalties then, because NJ isn't the only team to utilize such strategies. Therefore, I can't say it's fair to single out just the Devils. Now that I have Center Ice, I've caught bits and pieces of quite a few games around the league and NJ is hardly alone in this regard.

I mean sure, Bertuzzi is a rough player, but some of the penalties he gets are just cause of his bad reputation.

Wait, wasn't Bertuzzi the a-hole that blatantly crosschecked Rafalski or something in front of the net, got away with it, scored a goal on us, and the goal counted?? :P Boooo!!! Seems like he also benefits from biased officiating, not just gets hampered by it.

We get away with a lot of interference penalties.  That is FACT.  If you want to laugh at it, feel free.

But using this logic, I think almost EVERY team in the NHL gets away with such interference penalties then, because NJ isn't the only team to utilize such strategies. Therefore, I can't say it's fair to single out just the Devils. Now that I have Center Ice, I've caught bits and pieces of quite a few games around the league and NJ is hardly alone in this regard.

I agree, and every team does interference stuff that should be penalized. But the Devils are one of the worst teams at it (as in they do it more than most teams).

I'll continue with my example. Say a guy dumps a puck into our zone. His goal is to race for the puck and beat out the defenseman. When they do it against Rafalski, #28 holds him up just inside the blue line while Stevens collects the puck. Same if you reversed the roles. That's interference. They NEVER get called for it.

Actually, Doc and Chico mentioned something about this during a recent game.

And I sorta quote (if my memory serves correctly) "A defensemen is allowed to hold his lane." Which is what Rafalski and the rest do. They basically force the oncoming player to the outside or hold their ground. Either way, it's not interference as long as the player is positioned in the lane to begin with. Maybe that's why the Devils' don't get as many Interference penalties as the other teams?

As for Niedermayer along the wall... That's another story.

-Dan

I guess a few of you got the gist of my point. There were numerous examples of it last night. Friesen grabbed a King a couple of times. Madden did it as well. This is the norm for the Devils. They hold guys up away from the puck. Most of this happens when the other team is able to get a cycle. That's interference as defined by the rulebook. The officials let it go. Part of this is because of the Devils reputation. They are one of the best teams and because of that, more leeway is shown.

Dew, you think I'd prefer the homerite Davidson rambling on and on over a missed call??? Not at all. You missed me in chat last week complaining about JD. He's gotten a lot worse. I got no problem with Rosen. But JD I have lost a lot of respect for.

PK is right about one thing. If there's a Ranger that gets away with something, I will admit it. Poti got away with four chops in a row on a Tampa player last night and I thought it should have been assessed. They wound up penalizing Kaspar right after as it turned out. But they should have called Poti earlier.

I do think there's a double standard in some of these games. That's something I'd like to see change.