For all you Langs haters

Neb00rs

I thought it pithy to point out that despite our failures this season and all the hate for our captain, that he has actually played very well this season and has been a good leader. He also leads our team in points.

I'd like to point out that he was the one to score in the shootout last night - and he did it confidently even under pressure. And then who was the first one to skate over to Kovy after his screw-up?

Just wanted to start this thread to point out that there ARE people behind Jamie as captain and that not everyone wants to use any excuse to give Parise the C.

I think after that hit it kind of woke him up. He scored a goal and then saved us for a moment in the shootout. For the "C" talk, Parise is my favorite on the Devils and all but that's not the reason I believe he should get the "C". Kinda like Carolina did last year with Staal. They realized Rod Brind'mour wasn't going to be around much longer so they looked to what the future should be and might i stat they were having a garbage start like we are now.

I think after that hit it kind of woke him up. He scored a goal and then saved us for a moment in the shootout. For the "C" talk, Parise is my favorite on the Devils and all but that's not the reason I believe he should get the "C". Kinda like Carolina did last year with Staal. They realized Rod Brind'mour wasn't going to be around much longer so they looked to what the future should be and might i stat they were having a garbage start like we are now.

Nothing against Parise, but he would probably be second or third in line if the C became available after guys that have won it: Elias & White (who Lemaire wanted to give the C to for a few games last year),

Oh fer crying out loud, one shootout goal makes up for quitting down the stretch and in the playoffs last year? Some of you have pretty low standards. Besides, Viktor Kozlov was the greatest shootout player ever and nobody confuses him with clutch.

Langs isn't going to make up for quitting last year in the regular season (certainly not in a skills competition no less). It's nice that he's finally remembered how to score with goalies in the net but he's got a LONG way to go. I just hope we don't see these threads every single time he scores, because people have good reason to be down on him.

Oh fer crying out loud, one shootout goal makes up for quitting down the stretch and in the playoffs last year? Some of you have pretty low standards. Besides, Viktor Kozlov was the greatest shootout player ever and nobody confuses him with clutch.

Langs isn't going to make up for quitting last year in the regular season (certainly not in a skills competition no less). It's nice that he's finally remembered how to score with goalies in the net but he's got a LONG way to go. I just hope we don't see these threads every single time he scores, because people have good reason to be down on him.

Oh for crying out loud, I ain't going to continue to hold a grudge against my team's captain if he shows he wants to make up for his quitting. You don't want to give the guy a break unless he rids the world of cancer. No, one shootout goal does not make up for anything - but he has played well all season and has acted like a leader. Time to relax a little and move on from last year. Or you can go on being angry at a guy for quitting when everyone else around him quit too and you forgave them.

Ask yourself - what are you really angry at? Move on dude...seriously. Your acting like the guy killed someone and now he has to do something amazing to attain your forgiveness. rolleyes.gif

Edited by ben00rs

I'm not holding a grudge against anything, especially since I figured no matter what any of us said he'd be back this year with a chance to redeem himself. I'm just tired of the blind defenders who refuse to acknowledge his culpability in last year when the entire team gave up Dallas Cowboy-style the second half of the season and in the playoffs and as the captain he bears the responsibility of that.

And yes he has been a good leader this year (standing behind Hedberg and Kovy when the crowd booed them out of the building) but wtf does that mean on a team that's 4-10-2? To steal a CRASHER analogy being a good leader on a team that stinks is like winning the Special Olympics.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I'm not holding a grudge against anything, especially since I figured no matter what any of us said he'd be back this year with a chance to redeem himself. I'm just tired of the blind defenders who refuse to acknowledge his culpability in last year when the entire team gave up Dallas Cowboy-style the second half of the season and in the playoffs and as the captain he bears the responsibility of that.

And yes he has been a good leader this year (standing behind Hedberg and Kovy when the crowd booed them out of the building) but wtf does that mean on a team that's 4-10-2? To steal a CRASHER analogy being a good leader on a team that stinks is like winning the Special Olympics.

Ok, you're changing your argument - now it's: the team is losing and so it's not time to forgive anyone - this is a better argument and the one I was waiting for. I still think the way Langs has lead this team through this years adversity has been impressive - he hasn't lost his head or done stupid things this year ala Kovy. And you ARE holding a grudge - you're angry at Langs for his quitting LAST season - that's the definition of holding a grudge.

Also to call me a blind defender is so unfair. I spent May-September being angry at Langs, that's enough. Now I'm past that and am excited to watch Langs redeem himself.

Also, to posters who don't feel that this deserved a thread: I never start threads so complaining here is uncalled for. I started this thread because no one was talking about Langs improvement and I felt this was the best way to get him back into the conversation.

Edited by ben00rs

I don't get this "he made a decision to quit", "actively quit" BS.

Did he tell you this? Did you know if he was injured? The guy suffered a knee injury the year before and was back in 1 week through surgery to play and scored to boot.

Does that sound like a guy who would "quit" the minute he got back to that place?

I love people that take the media hype as gospel. Maybe he couldn't lead the team because Lemaire and the team were at odds?

Who knows.... were you there?

I'm not forgiving him, but people love to look at a small sample of a players performance and extrapolate a future. Such "Zubrusarus", this overpaid, stone-handed, guy who has never lived up to what he was signed to be. "He works hard" - has everyone forgot the turnovers and blind passes through the neutral zone that cost us games last season? I guess you only have to show up to 4 games in the playoffs to earn respect here. The guy does a lot if he were being paid under $2M - sorry.

There are folks here that will continue to blame last failures on Langs, and as result will NEVER forgive him barring a Stanley Cup winning goal. So be it.

The Special Olympics analogy is BS - Its easy to lead a great winning team, much harder to lead a bad one.

Just like 2009 was all Havelid and Mottau....

2008 was Rachunek, Vishnevski and Oduya....

Let the SD scapegoat mantra ring out for and wide....

Edited by DevilinLA

Also to call me a blind defender is so unfair. I spent May-September being angry at Langs, that's enough. Now I'm past that and am excited to watch Langs redeem himself.

Also, to posters who don't feel that this deserved a thread: I never start threads so complaining here is uncalled for. I started this thread because no one was talking about Langs improvement and I felt this was the best way to get him back into the conversation.

Fine, but do you realize how it looks when the team's 4-10-2 and you start a thread that in effect says 'suck it people' cause player x scored a shootout goal last night? Big deal, it's not like he'd been tearing it up this season on the whole, in fact he'd been terrible until the last few games as one other poster pointed out.

I don't get this "he made a decision to quit", "actively quit" BS.

Did he tell you this? Did you know if he was injured? The guy suffered a knee injury the year before and was back in 1 week through surgery to play and scored to boot.

He admitted publicly he wasn't emotionally where he needed to be during the playoffs and it showed in his play anyway. Not just the fact he didn't score goals but little things, like Game 1 when he lost his stick and then just stood at the blueline aimlessly for like seven seconds as if he was going to kick the puck in the net or get a penalty by going 'come on'.

Just like 2009 was all Havelid and Mottau....

2008 was Rachunek, Vishnevski and Oduya....

Like you don't have your scapegoats, flogs, etc? You're just as bad with Elias, Greene, Zubrus as you claim the rest of us are with your favorites.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Bring PL3 up and give him the C, if anyone isn't playing their BEST he can beat their ass... I mean he can fight his own team on the ice and NO penalty correct? :doh1::giggle::rolleyes:

Seriously though Jamie KEEPS the C!

Zach is next in line :)

Edited by Dead

Fine, but do you realize how it looks when the team's 4-10-2 and you start a thread that in effect says 'suck it people' cause player x scored a shootout goal last night? Big deal, it's not like he'd been tearing it up this season on the whole, in fact he'd been terrible until the last few games as one other poster pointed out.

Now you've changed your argument to: Actually he has sucked the whole season. First of all: not true. Langs has played very well this season and I'm sure you know that from watching the games - his 9 points are very good from how bad this team has been. So I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you were just carelessly throwing that out there.

Secondly, do I have to say again and again that I am not defending Langs because he scored one shootout goal last night? He is tied for the team lead in points first of all. I am also not telling anyone to "suck it" - those are your words. I am simply pointing out what no one else is willing to: We have a good captain. This was the right time in my eyes to start this and watching him be the first one to skate over to Kovy last night was the motivation to do so. However, I have been talking well of Langs the whole season. Before the season even started I believe my sig had Langs in it with the words "redemption 10-11" written in it. So you lose the argument that says it was his shootout goal that changed my mind about anything.

As another poster pointed out, I also like the way he stood behind Hedberg. I think Hedberg deserved to get boo'd but Langs was right to back him up. We ALL have to realize as fans that the team captain is not democratically elected - the fans have and should have NO say in who is captain. JAMIE IS THE CAPTAIN OF THE DEVILS AND NOT CAPTAIN OF THE FANS. And the players repspect him as captain and that's what counts.

Now you've changed your argument to: Actually he has sucked the whole season. First of all: not true. Langs has played very well this season and I'm sure you know that from watching the games - his 9 points are very good from how bad this team has been. So I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you were just carelessly throwing that out there.

Secondly, do I have to say again and again that I am not defending Langs because he scored one shootout goal last night? He is tied for the team lead in points first of all. I am also not telling anyone to "suck it" - those are your words. I am simply pointing out what no one else is willing to: We have a good captain. This was the right time in my eyes to start this and watching him be the first one to skate over to Kovy last night was the motivation to do so. However, I have been talking well of Langs the whole season. Before the season even started I believe my sig had Langs in it with the words "redemption 10-11" written in it. So you lose the argument that says it was his shootout goal that changed my mind about anything.

As another poster pointed out, I also like the way he stood behind Hedberg. I think Hedberg deserved to get boo'd but Langs was right to back him up. We ALL have to realize as fans that the team captain is not democratically elected - the fans have and should have NO say in who is captain. JAMIE IS THE CAPTAIN OF THE DEVILS AND NOT CAPTAIN OF THE FANS. And the players repspect him as captain and that's what counts.

I'm not changing anything, I wasn't arguing about his play, effort level or leadership this year I'm saying it's way too soon (and in bad taste) to be crowing about 'redemption' in Game 16 of the regular season when the team stinks anyway and he himself hasn't really put up production.

9 points in 16 games (with a few of them coming recently) is still LOUSY for a top six forward, I don't care if he's first on the team in points or not. That just means everyone else who's expected to score has been just as or more lousy too. 9 points in 16 games - with one being an empty-net goal - is a 45-point pace, would you be happy with that for just about any top six forward other than maybe Zubrus, whose celing most years is around that?

I'm not posting with a grudge, just stating facts (and if I'm annoyed at anyone in particular right now it's Kovy, based on all the nonsense this year). Arnott and Sykora got traded away for far less than what Jamie did last year. The reasons Jamie aren't gone are because he built up a lot of equity from 2003-the first part of last year and because he's only got a year left on his deal anyway.

Plus at least he took ownership of his struggles last year after the fact, which is more than many here have been willing to do.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I'm not changing anything, I wasn't arguing about his play, effort level or leadership this year I'm saying it's way too soon (and in bad taste) to be crowing about 'redemption' in Game 16 of the regular season when the team stinks anyway and he himself hasn't really put up production.

9 points in 16 games (with a few of them coming recently) is still LOUSY for a top six forward, I don't care if he's first on the team in points or not. That just means everyone else who's expected to score has been just as or more lousy too. 9 points in 16 games is a 45-point pace, would you be happy with that for just about any top six forward other than maybe Zubrus, whose celing most years is around that?

I'm not posting with a grudge, just stating facts (and if I'm annoyed at anyone in particular right now it's Kovy, based on all the nonsense this year). Arnott and Sykora got traded away for far less than what Jamie did last year. The reasons Jamie aren't gone are because he built up a lot of equity from 2003-the first part of last year and because he's only got a year left on his deal anyway.

You're misstating again. No one is saying Jamie has redeemed himself from last year. That would be in poor taste. I'm simply pointing out that Jamie has been a good captain this year and that we should all be behind him. We should all forgive him already for whatever happened last year - it's a new season and as I SAID before, we should all be excited to watch him redeem himself. Sure, this team is losing but if everyone on the team was playing like Jamie we wouldn't be.

I have always loved Langenbrunner and am the proud owner of a jersey with his name on it (granted it still has an A on it).

I've met him once and he was very respectful and I certainly believe he is a good captain. Plus, he NEVER lets me down in the shootout :) (this is NOT a Kovalchuk diss because I'm a big Kovy fan too, but I love seeing Jamie take a shootout shot because I know he is going to score)

You can see it in his face how hard he tries sometimes. He tries to not let the game get to his head (hence the not so much smiling ever) He takes it serious and I believe thats a good quality.

I dont hold anything against him last year. That was then, this is now.

I thought it pithy to point out that despite our failures this season and all the hate for our captain, that he has actually played very well this season and has been a good leader. He also leads our team in points.

I'd like to point out that he was the one to score in the shootout last night - and he did it confidently even under pressure. And then who was the first one to skate over to Kovy after his screw-up?

Just wanted to start this thread to point out that there ARE people behind Jamie as captain and that not everyone wants to use any excuse to give Parise the C.

The C to Parise....Kovalchuk and Langenbrunner to anyone with a bag of pucks..... :whistling: