Rolston on Waivers

jagknife

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, so let me see if I've got this straight. Just like waivers, teams will have 24 hours to claim Rolston once he's on re-entry waivers. And if he goes unclaimed, he's back on the roster, same as before. Right?

Say this is how it plays out. Is there anything stopping the Devils from waiving and re-entry waiving him again? Or is there a limit to how many times/how frequently this can happen?

they would have to wait 30 days to try it again.

Salvador is going to play eventually. We can't just keep him on IR all year. Anyways, I think my logic makes sense to me. I'm not a cap expert, but to start the season off at max cap hit and bring people like Salvador, Salmela, and Albany people into the lineup and only clearing 2.5 mil from Rolston means we'd be over the cap at some point.

If Salvador does not come back you are right. But, why is he starting off ice workouts if he's not coming back at some point in time? Either way, the point is I'm tired of Lou paying guys not to play to bail himself out.

it's not a guarantee that salvador plays eventually. he is starting off-ice workouts, but what if he experiences symptoms again?

you are correct that the devils would be over the cap in that scenario. however, it's not very likely to come out that way imo. salvador has to be weeks away from returning. the devils will almost certainly clear some salary at the deadline. if someone else gets long-term injured, that would likely clear up adequate space.

rolston already hasn't been playing ever since he got to NJ, so this is just a good way to get rid of a straggler.

Edited by Triumph

Tom Gulitti

On Tuesday 14th December 2010, @TGfireandice said:

Rolston on being placed on waivers: "It’s not a huge surprise. Obviously. I didn’t know it was going to happen today, but I can’t say it’s a surprise. We all know that since September our whole team has been waiting for something to happen and, again, we’re in a situation that with the way the season has been going, it can’t really be a surprise.”

We couldn't even get under the cap really to start the season. The way things go around here, it's hard to say that they'll do something to get under the cap. Anyways, if you guys are happy to have 3.5 mil against the cap next year for Pandolfo, Rolston, and Peters not to play then fine. We're already struggling, that 3.5 million would have been very useful in the off season.

Interesting. Here's to hoping he gets claimed on re-entry, but I doubt he will.

But I guess this frees up plenty of space once parise returns...months from now :noclue:

I actually wasn't all that bugged by Rolston thus far this year...but maybe he was just slightly less sh!tty than the overall product and didn't stick out.

@Hurricane-Parise swon't have to sit, when he comes back, his cap hit will be prorated to something around 1.2-3mil. You have to keep that in mind, we'll fit him in when he gets back. If we fit him in before he was injured, who is that we added that is taking up the cap space he had been? Also, it is quite possible that Salvador may not return at all this season, especially if we're doing so badly. No need to risk further injury for a team going nowhere when we're talking about concussions/brain injury. Then again, this may just end his career, he's no spring chicken.

We couldn't even get under the cap really to start the season. The way things go around here, it's hard to say that they'll do something to get under the cap. Anyways, if you guys are happy to have 3.5 mil against the cap next year for Pandolfo, Rolston, and Peters not to play then fine. We're already struggling, that 3.5 million would have been very useful in the off season.

you do realize that there's no other way to get rid of rolston, and so the alternative is not having 2.5 million to spend on stuff because we're spending it on brian rolston, right?

sigh lou says he's playing if he isn't claimed, and that he's not going on re-entry waivers yet.

There had to be SOME other option. Langenbrunner, Clarkson, anything for a bag of pucks. I mean come on, trading Clarkson for a sh!tty pick would be much better.

that can maybe be done. that still doesn't change the fact that rolston sucks and costs $5 million on the cap.

@Hurricane-Parise swon't have to sit, when he comes back, his cap hit will be prorated to something around 1.2-3mil. You have to keep that in mind, we'll fit him in when he gets back. If we fit him in before he was injured, who is that we added that is taking up the cap space he had been? Also, it is quite possible that Salvador may not return at all this season, especially if we're doing so badly. No need to risk further injury for a team going nowhere when we're talking about concussions/brain injury. Then again, this may just end his career, he's no spring chicken.

Once Rolston is picked up by another team which will happen, talk will begin for Parise and a long term contract. Now, Salvador. Like you said, IF and that is a HUGE if, he comes back he is taking a huge risk for something that is not worth it. Its not worth it even if the Devils were undefeated. Like I previously said, he is still out of it and has the "concussed state of mind". I agree, I think this is the end of Bryce Salvador's hockey career. :(

What needs to happen is there needs to be a release of information about Bryce. How is he doing? Is he on track? What are the chances of him coming back this season if at all? The last bit of info on him came out what in the beginning of October?

Edited by Quinn01

Parise's cap hit would still be the entire contract though, would it not? I'm pretty sure it would be, but I'm not positive. What I said is based on Salvador coming back (which I think he will).

No, cap hits are prorated, not the actual salaries lol. The players wouldn't be happy if they got their pay cut for being injured and missing games. The salary is prorated by # of days played over the total # of days in the season, which I think is 185. So basically it's # of days active on the roster divided by 185 and then multiplied by the cap hit and you have the prorated amount.

His hit might be somewhere around 1.3-6mil, I'm not sure. It depends on when he comes back and I'm not positive on how many days he was playing before he got hurt, but he's basically going to end up playing around 35 games or so is my guess.

The last bit of information on Salvador that I know of is he started riding the stationary bike.

None of those teams you listed that suck will pick him up, they might as well save their money. I can see Dallas or St. Louis picking him up though.

He's really not that bad of a pick up for a prorated 2.5mil. It's only like 1.6mil and that's worth it, even if you only use him for a big point shot on the PP. If I was another team's GM, I'd think about picking him up at that price, but that's just my opinion.

Edited by ATLL765

I'd rather pay Rolston $5 mil and trade Clarkson for nothing than keep Clarkson and pay 2.5 mil a year for Rolston to play else where. Just my opinion.

We don't know what's coming down the pike. If Rolston doesn't get picked up maybe Lou waives Langs and Clarkson. Lou just may be starting with his biggest burden then working his way down.

Is the 30 day limit thing applied only to that player that got waived or can you only use waiver once every 30 days?

Wait wait wait ... now I'm really confused. If he isn't claimed on waivers, he'll be back in the lineup? I thought that, once waived, the only way to get back with the big club was to go on re-entry waivers. Like re-entry is the way to re-enter the team, so to speak.