Keep or Trade?

westcoastdevfan

Expendable: Rafalski, Gomez, Berglund, Rupp, Friesen, Marshall, White, Larionov

Ummm no rag fan.,.. Freisen and white are not expendable

Forget about Friesen and White, but RAFALSKI?!?!?! Woah. People talk about the differences between the 98 and 99 teams and the ones after that, but the addition of Rafalski is overlooked so many times. His presence took so much pressure off of Nieds to perform offensively and that is never really noticed. That and he has been the teams highest scoring defender for i think 3 years in a row now. There is just no way Lou trades him, even with Martin playing full time.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Martin and his shot, but defensive defensemen like Hale come a dime a dozen. I would wrather keep Martin.

That may be true, but given the current shape of the defense now and in the next few years Hale is a very important piece unless someone is brought in from the outside. And trading a defender for a defender doesnt make much sence given Hale's possible upside.

Rafalski is important, but I constantly here that there is a need for offense, if this is the case, you do not say that Jeff Friesen is expendable, He has great potential, and look at his play... He scores goals, and is important to the team...

White is possibly our next Stevens... nuff said...

So why did you add him????

huh? :blink:

Sorry that was directed to someone else... my bad...

I don't think the Devils didn't show up last night. They just got outplayed. Had nothing to do with Brodeur playing a lot of games, or this, or that, they got outplayed by an Islander team with an excellent top 4 and a very solid top 9.

The Devils just don't have a consistent offense. Elias was dominant last night again, but where was everyone else? Gomez did have some good shifts, but by and large the Devils just weren't forechecking, and the Islanders always had a man hounding them when they did have the puck in deep. They were never able to set up in front at all. And plus, their shooters at the point can't ever hit the net.

I'm not saying the reason the Devils lost was because Brodeur was shaky in net. What I AM saying, however, is that Brodeur simply cannot start EVERY game this season, like he's on pace for right now. In my personal opinion, these past few games he's looked VERY good, hell, STELLAR at some points but then will let in a shaky goal or two. I don't want to see him get burned out. And I don't care if he likes the workload or not, no goalie should be starting the amount of games he could very well be starting this season. Aside from that, Schwab is hurt, again. Schwab has started a grand total of two games this year. When he gets into a game (centuries after the previous game he played, mind you), he ends up tweaking the groin again. I don't want to see Schwab on the IR for the entire season forcing Brodeur TO play all those games that he's been playing to begin with.

So, wait...I'm confused -- you say the Devils showed up last night, yet their offense was inconsistant and aside from Elias, no one "showed up". That's what I mean. I didn't like the passing, I didn't like the plays in the corner, hell, I didn't like the lack of discipline this team had last night. That's what I mean about not showing up. How is taking penalty after penalty, ending power play after power play with no shots or, yes, taking another penalty...well...how is that showing up? The Isles outplayed them tremendously, yes. I completely agree with that. But the Devils had no intensity. Absolutely no emotion out there. They should have. And, yeah, I was pretty annoyed with the Devils having every shot miss the net or get blocked.

There is no "next Stevens."

Not from my mouth, but that is who people have called whites play close too...

How is Rasumussen and Gionta on your can't trade but Friesen, White and Rafalski are. I am not saying White or Friesen can't be traded but how are Gionta and Rasmussen are. Gionta is an average player who tries really and ha sheart. He cna be traded easily.

Personally if we start to break down Lou will trade anyone besides the obvious four or five to help the team and if were doign well he will just add a bit more to help the team.

Hmmph.. just for the fun of it - and I may change my mind...

KEEPERS:

Stevens (who wants him anyhow.. :unsure: bedsides me ( :o whoops had to leave THAT typo! :rolleyes: I can't beleive me! how'd i DO THAT??? :argh: )

Brodeur

Niedermayer

(Lou)

Because I don't think they'd bring much and they're a good fit here:

Pando

Brylin

Because I love them:

Madden

Langenbrunner

White

Rafalski

(Burns)

For the future:

Martin

Ahonen (for now) :evil:

Edited by Pepperkorn

I don't think they had no emotion, I just think they got outplayed, and really had no idea how to react to that, hence the bad penalties. The way to beat the Devils is to out-Devil them.. the Senators took 4 games to figure it out. You put a man on every Devil, and you never let them get free ice. The Islanders did it perfectly last night. Only goal was on an unstoppable Brylin pass.

The fact is, the Devils are a small, quick team. The Islanders weren't letting them use their quickness. As a result, they were getting beat in the corners and at the front of the net. That's where the Devils can be beat. Plus, they don't have a power play.

Without Langenbrunner and Stevenson, it makes the size problem even more apparent.

And no, Brodeur can't start every game, but he's fine now. Schwab should have 10-14 starts by the end of the season though.

Pepperkorn brought up Ahonen's name. I'd like to see him play an NHL game. If he plays well, there's a trade chip right there.

really I thought she said "Ahone" :rofl:;)

Edited by westcoastdevfan

The Devils PP ranks 10th in the NHL and has looked sharp at times. I don't think the PP can be looked at as a weakness.

lest we forget last year

At times, wcdf, but I don't trust that 10th. I think by the end of the year we will end up around 20th; where I thought we should have been last year, but not really good enough to be threatening. Last night I saw the power play exhibit the same problems it has in the past. All other teams have to do is pursue the puck carrier, and the Devils just have no way of finding the open man.

Big power play games against Pittsburgh, Buffalo, and Boston don't convince me.