Islanders Sign Free-Agent Ronning, TSN.ca

Devildude

I just heard on the Radio that the Isles signed Cliff Ronning... Anyone know what could this mean to us?

sorry about the typos... i had work and the bell rung

Edited by Devildude

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=67363&hubName=nhl

Canadian Press

1/9/2004

UNIONDALE, N.Y. (CP) - The New York Islanders have signed unrestricted free-agent centre Cliff Ronning to a contract for the rest of the season after losing first-line forwards Alexei Yashin and Mark Parrish to serious injuries.

The 38-year-old Ronning has been working out at home in Vancouver waiting for an NHL team to call. He has 297 goals and 548 assists in 17 NHL seasons. He had 17 goals and 31 assists in 80 games with the Minnesota Wild last season while earning $1.85 million US.

``Cliff is a proven point-producer,'' Islanders general manager Mike Milbury said in a statement. ``With two of our top scorers out, we were fortunate Cliff was available as a free agent and showed such a strong desire to be an Islander. His experience and work on the power play will be great assets for us.''

The native of Burnaby, B.C., has averaged 57 points per season. He was Nashville's leading scorer in each of his four seasons from 1998-1999 to 2001-2002 and was second in scoring to Marian Gaborik last season in Minnesota.

The 5-8, 170-pound Ronning joins an Eastern Conference club for the first time in his career after stops in St. Louis, Vancouver, Phoenix, Nashville, Los Angeles and Minnesota.

The Isles, battling for the eighth and final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference, needed some help after losing Parrish for two months with an high ankle sprain and No. 1 centre Alexei Yashin for three months to a gruesome wrist injury.

I like this signing for the Isles. But has Ronning ever played in the East? If he still has something left, then he won't be like Igor Larionov.

How come the Maple Leaf$ didnt jump on this guy??? After all, it would have made the team YOUNGER....BITE ME FAT QUINN!!!

Why would Toronto want him, they have enough forward depth. They may be old but they are also very strong and I actually fear them this year.

Toronto DESERVES everyone, after all they are the mecca of the hockey universe....

BTW, why so down on Pat Burns? Defending SC Champs isnt enough?? Just curious...

I hated Burns before he was in NJ and still hate him, I like a players coach like Robinson, Cherry and Nolan (I Lou went after him but he said some bad things about Buffalo managment and I doubt Lou would like that)

I hear ya about Nolan, there has to be something very bad that Nolan did...I read an article recently that when Nolan was with the Sabres he went off on his European players by saying "You F'in Europeans, you are all the same.." and wahtnot...who really knows...

That was another prediction after my original one. I made quite a few predictions, some to please others. Tri, you know I made that prediction becasue you were the one that bashed me for it.

3 Devils will finish 3rd in the east. (3rd in points)

Jason thats what you predicted, and well...its dramatically different from 7th 8th or 9th.