Preds get Sullivan

Sarge18

Tri, when I first read your message about the Preds getting ripped off, I thought you were nuts. But now that I think about it, you're right....the Preds are a team that completely builds through the draft, and two 2nd rounders is alot to give up for Sulli.

The Preds are absolutely desperate to get into the playoffs...I don't think they care about what Sulli can or can't do if they get there. Attendance is crappy already, and this team can't handle a 6th year with no playoffs, or they'll have even more crowds under 10k next year.

As for the Gionta/Sullivan comparison, some of you please get a clue. I don't care if Sullivan plays in the West, the guy can put up points, and has done it pretty regularly. Gionta has a LOT to prove before you can put him in Sullivan's class. Five straight years of over 20 goals, and four straight years of over 60 points isn't a fluke. Put Gionta on the Blackhawks top line, and there's no way he's putting up those numbers.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How many people really think Steve Sullivan is a $3.3 million player? Be honest now.

There's no way the Preds offer him the qualifying amount next year. Their highest paid player is Timmonen ($2 mil), their total payroll is around $20 mil, and Craig Leipold said in the paper the other day that the Preds are one of the 19 teams losing money. Guaranteed - Sullivan is a rental.

Jiminy crickets.

We don't want to pay $3M for 43 points in 56 games. What do you want?

Let's trade for someone that has 50 goals and has a $2M salary. There are lots of them around the league. Might as well pick up two or three....

:rolleyes:

Patrick Elias has 45 points in 57 games and is making $4.5M.

If it wasn't for the fact that our forwards are already smallish, I'd love to have Sullivan back. Actually, if I were GM I'd not have let him go....

Don, please see through the numbers and recognize the only reason why Sullivan gets the ice time and therefore the points he does is because Chicago has been a terrible team for the last 4 years. They've been extremely weak on left wing for years.

Sullivan does nothing else but score, and he's not a good enough scorer to play that kind of game on any team that has designs on a Stanley Cup. Yeah, sure, for the Predators, he'll put up his .75 points a game and get them into the playoffs. But he does not play the kind of game suited to the playoffs. He is small, I don't think he's even as strong as Gionta, and while his shot is good and his vision is good, they're not good enough. Sullivan will always play for bad teams.

It's not that the Preds got ripped off Z-Man, Sullivan should help them get to the playoffs. I'm just very surprised that Chicago was able to get 2 2nd round picks back.

Edited by Triumph

Don, in a less defensively oriented system, elias would put up much better numbers, also, if elias played 20+ minutes a night, as sullivan does, rather than the 15 to 17 that is typical for a top forward having a great night in the NJD system, his numbers would be even more impressive still.

Fact is that little stevee plays 20 + minutes a night out of necessity out there, he's about their only offensive weapon, and the coaching staff leans on him for it, so, with out taking anything away from sully (and yeah, i'd like to see him back in a red NJ jersey, but just not while our lineup is as small as it is, and not in a #1 center role, and definately not at $3 mil of the payroll budget) but if you take any team's top line and give them over 20 minutes a night, they will put up big numbers.

CRASHER: Shhh. I didn't think he'd notice. And I already have enough of your money on that John MacLean bet. Unfortunately, I was a poor student at the time and had to spend it instead of frame it like I do my bets now. (-:

Triumph: I don't like the condition, but I'll take it on $10 CAN vs $10 US.

CRASHER: Shhh. I didn't think he'd notice. And I already have enough of your money on that John MacLean bet. Unfortunately, I was a poor student at the time and had to spend it instead of frame it like I do my bets now. (-:

Triumph: I don't like the condition, but I'll take it on $10 CAN vs $10 US.

wow a handicap match bet :D

that other bet was a LONG time ago :P

... and consider me blowing the whistle on the exchange as payback :evil:

o.k., RFA makes it even worse, since now you need to give him at least a qualifier of 10% (i think that's what is called for) raise. So now you have Steve Sullivan earning $3.3 million. And, he can hold you over the barrell and just hold out until he gets more than that. That would make trading him (rights to him) virtually impossible since I don't believe there are too many g.m.s in this league who see Steve Sullivan as a $3.3 mil or more player.

How many people really think Steve Sullivan is a $3.3 million player? Be honest now.

Hes only gotta be qualified at 3 million. THe 10% raise is only for those under the league average.