Why The Devils Should Draft A Forward

Triumph

I read part of it then stopped. That is a poor way to determine whether a high pick on defensmen is worthwhile.

Defensmen taken in the top 5

2010:

Erik Gudbranson

2009:

Victor Hedman 21 minutes per game

2008:

Drew Doughty 25:38 minutes per game

Zach Bogosian 22:24 minutes per game

Alex Pietrangelo 22:00 minutes per game

2007:

Thomas Hickey AHL

Karl Alzner 20:00 minutes per game

2006:

Eric Johnsson 22:33 minutes per game

2005:

Jack Johnson 23:11 minutes per game

11 of the top 20 in icetime were first round defensmen as well.

This is a much worse way to determine who is good for reasons that are obvious.

A: ice time per game isn't something that other teams have any control over. if someone like tortorella wants to play marc staal 30 minutes a game, what's to stop him? that doesn't mean that marc staal is necessarily better than people who play 20 minutes a game.

B: these defensemen tend to play on teams that have poor prospect development and bad defenses. that's how teams generally finish poorly enough to draft in the top 10 - they suck. and that's part of why these guys get huge minutes.

C: none of these defensemen have been on a team that's won a round in the playoffs.

Now, some of these players will almost certainly crack my top 32 (doughty already has), and probably one of them will be on a team that wins a round in the playoffs. But not all of them will crack the top 32, and that's part of my point. These guys are all very good, but none of them have made the jump to being great, doughty aside. We cannot say the same for the forwards picked in their respective draft classes.

Edited by Triumph

Scenario #1

Edmonton:

Hopkins - They have made it clear they like him and he also fits the mold of the Edmonton Oilers for the future. The best playmaker in the draft and is very crafty. Similar to Datsyuk.

Colorado:

Landeskog - Colorado likes the OHL boys and this is a perfect replacement for Stewart who can step in next year and make an impact. Similar to Doan.

Florida:

Couturier - Florida has a lot of defensmen in the pipeline and Tallon loves to take North American players. This fits his big center mold. Similar to Primeau

New Jersey:

Larsson - New Jersey takes best player available in the draft with Larsson. A very skilled all round defensmen with size. Build around defense I guess. Similar to Pitkanen

New York Islanders:

Hamilton - New York passed on the defensmen the last two years. This is the year. Hamilton is a big defensmen with a lot of tools. His potential is very high. Similar to Pietrangelo.

Ottawa:

Strome - They wanted Landeskog but got their center instead. Strome is a very skilled center with loads of speed. Very dangerous on the rush. Similar to Little

Atlanta:

Huberdeau - Atlanta has takes the BPA of the big 7, he should be converted to the wing with his skillset. Amzing hockey sense, amazing hands and amazing speed. Similar to Turris

Columbus:

Murphy - No russian but they will try again with the smallish offensive defensmen. Columbus needs more points from the back end. Amazing hockey sense and speed. Similar to Boyle

Boston:

Siemens - The big bad bruins are back baby. Siemens is a raw defensmen with great mobility, a mean streak and some physical game. This pick will make Toronto remember that trade over and over. Similar to Seabrook

Minnesota:

Armia - Minnesota loves players from Finland and need to give Koivu a little help on the wing. This big power sniper has great speed and size. Similar to Vanek.

If we draft Larsson then what are we going to do with the holes we need at RW on the 1st line and center on the 2nd line?

I don't think breaking up the Rolston/Zubs/Elias line is very smart. They have chemistry and can play a good checking line role.

I imagine Teds can be on the Parise/Zajac line and Josefson can be on the Kovy/Palmieri line.

If we draft Larsson then what are we going to do with the holes we need at RW on the 1st line and center on the 2nd line?

I don't think breaking up the Rolston/Zubs/Elias line is very smart. They have chemistry and can play a good checking line role.

I imagine Teds can be on the Parise/Zajac line and Josefson can be on the Kovy/Palmieri line.

Well Elias is your 2nd line center. It's his best position, he's very good at it, and it fills the Devils need, win/win.

Edited by Devils731

You're looking at the perspective of this player being on the team immediately. The chance of whoever we draft being on this team this coming season is slim to none. The hole at RW you suggest isn't there. We have Palmieri to play that and he played it ably this season. The 2nd line center is either Elias or Zubrus next season, if not Josefson. The new coach could also completely juggle the lines as we know them now.

Next season, we have even more coming off of the books so players via FA are back in play, that is also when we're likely to see whoever we draft this year make their debut unless theres an injury or the guy is just too good to hold back is up sooner

Edited by ghdi

So do you move Josefson down with Zubrus and Rolston? I would be hesitant to break up that Elias line.

Well it's tough to line create when we don't know who will be here next year. In my mind I like Rolston-Elias-Tedenby as a line. Elias and Rolston are responsible enough to make up for Tedenby's lack of defense and Elias and Tedenby should both create extra space for Rolston. You could swap Kovalchuk for Rolston there but I don't think I would because I'd worry about the lines defense, but it could be ok.

Ignoring all the wingers for the moment, Elias is most likely a lot better than Josefson at center next season. Elias will get you more offensively and defensively. The wingers you can mix or match, but with the current roster Zajac-Elias-Josefson-Steckel seems pretty set in stone to me.

I don't know what next season is going to look like, but I can tell you this much -- 1st, 2nd and 3rd line centers (in no particular order) are Zajac, Elias and Josefson. Zubrus will stay at wing where he belongs, assuming he stays on the roster.

Conventional Wisdom is defensemen take longer to develop also, so you can get a better player sooner. This player will also be better on average when he is younger and devils' "property" (i.e. not an unrestricted free agent, although you can wait to bring a defenseman into the league if you feel necessary.)

Is it true that there are far more left handed players than righties? We are loaded with lefties both fw and D. We have teddy playing right wing . (only clarkson/palmeiri are righties) I would think a fast highly skilled righty (Strome) would fit the bill, as would Hamilton (D). I realize players can play either side. Why force elias to play center when he's a left wing. Play folks where they're best suited, not because you have no one else on the roster. When you have a d-zone faceoff, it would be nice to have a choice.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this come into play at all?