Parise contract talks update

Tedenby21

I thought this back in January, but I don't think this anymore. While it'd be an enormous blow to give Parise a one-year deal and then have him walk (and a strong possibility he'd be headed to the Rangers), I don't see where NJ finds a trade that's anywhere near equal value. If it comes down to taking 50 cents on the dollar, or having him play out his final year here, I'd rather take the year.

I think either of these is a big loss. What we need to do is figure out a way to nail him down long term this year, even if that means dumping Rolston (somehow) and giving Clarkson away.

But I'd rather trade him than have him for a year and lose him for nothing -- I don't think this team is quite in SC contention next year, though I could be wrong. Depends largely on how much Tedenby and Josefson mature between the seasons.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/lamoriello_will_try_to_re-sign_parise_as_expeditious_as_possible_wants_to_r/

TG interviewing Lou. Parise plus some other stuff.

What can you say about the importance of Zach Parise to the organization and the importance of re-signing him?

“I don’t think I can say anymore than anybody else can say. He’s an integral part, has been since he’s been here and in everybody’s mind he will continue to be that. So, we’ll do everything we possibly can as expeditious as possible.”

How about potential unrestricted free agents such as defenseman Andy Greene and Johan Hedberg?

“They’ve all done well. Andy is certainly someone who we want back and certainly Hedberg we want back. He did an exceptional job. All of these things have to be handled accordingly.”

Do you feel the team needs to upgrade its puck-moving skill on defense?

“I don’t think there’s any question that that’s something we’re looking at.”

Great stuff from Lou. Glad to hear what he had to say regarding Parise, and the need to address the puck moving ability on the blue line. "That will never be talked about until the pick is made" is classic Lou, and I fvcking love it.

Lou is still the best GM in the business.

No. Ken Holland is the best GM in the business and I dont think its up for debate anymore. Lou has made some boneheaded moves since the lockout and I dont think theres even an argument.

And why is it Lou's or JVB's fault that Zach doesn't get re-signed? It is a possibility that Zach doesn't want to be here if he doesn't sign, despite what he may say to a reporter. If the offer is fair and Zach doesn't sign, its clearly his own decision.

No need to jump the gun passing blame before anything has happened.

And why is it Lou's or JVB's fault that Zach doesn't get re-signed? It is a possibility that Zach doesn't want to be here if he doesn't sign, despite what he may say to a reporter. If the offer is fair and Zach doesn't sign, its clearly his own decision.

That depends what you think is 'fair'...I mean if we offer him 7-49 that'd be pretty fair to me (in terms of both cap hit and years), but another kind of person would think it would be an insult to offer less than half of the years and dollars to the Kovy contract, especially with all the time and attention we spent on it last offseason.

Parise wants to win. There will be no long term deal until AFTER next season. First the Devs have to make the playoffs, then see what UFAs are available after July 1, 2012.

You think he's not convinced the team can win, when they went 28-10-3 without him in the second half of the season and had numerous young players step up? To me that was one of the best parts about the second half, it should have convinced him that we're not going down into the tenth level of hell, the way it looked like we were after the first half.

Edited by NJDevs4978

That depends what you think is 'fair'...I mean if we offer him 7-49 that'd be pretty fair to me (in terms of both cap hit and years), but another kind of person would think it would be an insult to offer less than half of the years and dollars to the Kovy contract, especially with all the time and attention we spent on it last offseason.

Well obviously, it becomes subjective at some point. Fair is a pretty broad term as one person may think a deal is unfair, while another may think its fleecing. It would come down to comparisons with similarly paid/performing players and fair as a consensus opinion. I think there is a point where Zach Parise becomes overpaid and again, he may not even want to stay here right now regardless of the offer. His heart may be somewhere else. We can claim that he thinks this way or that, but no one knows.

Edited by ghdi

Anyone hear about the cap limit possibly going up 6 million next season because of the new TV deal thing?

I think the old TV deal was worth 2 million a team and the new TV deal is worth 6.5 million a team.

The players make almost 60% of revenue in the cap. So the old TV deal gave about 1 million towards the cap and the new tv deal will give about 4 million, so it would look like somewhere in the ballpark of a 3 million dollar boost, just on the tv deal.

Of course an increase like this may have already been factored into the articles that tried to guess at the cap increase.

That seems like a lot- I doubt it would go up $6 million per team.

With 2 Billion over ten years coming the league's way, thats actually not that far fetched. The estimated cap was going to like 62 I believe, but it could go higher now.

so by increasing the cap, nbc will help us even though they will never show a single game of ours. i can deal with that.

With this many national games, NBC is going to have to expand from 7 teams they'll show to at least 10. I think we'll be one of those teams.

With this many national games, NBC is going to have to expand from 7 teams they'll show to at least 10. I think we'll be one of those teams.

I'll believe it when I see it. I think if anyone is going to get increased air time it is going to be LA and Tampa.

I'll believe it when I see it. I think if anyone is going to get increased air time it is going to be LA and Tampa.

LA gets terrible regional ratings according to the latest figures. I bet we get a game on NBC next year - probably against the Rangers, but whatever.

LA gets terrible regional ratings according to the latest figures. I bet we get a game on NBC next year - probably against the Rangers, but whatever.

I hope so.

If LA goes deep into the playoffs this year, I think they could do better. Especially if the celebs start showing up to games.

I hope Tampa and Stamkos get more coverage, tired of Crosby and Ovy (though I can't get enough of Ovy's commercials).