Jagr to Russia for the $$$

SueNJ97

Well, here's a fine how d'you do for fans like Derek who were looking forward to seeing Jags unleashed under the new rules. Love how Jagr says money isn't the main factor in making the decision. Maybe he is interested in the other stuff, the shorter schedule, less physical contact and more offensive style of play in Russia, but if the $11 million paycheck were still coming he'd be in NY for the start of training camp, no questions asked.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2116505

Russian team Avangard Omsk courting Jagr

Reuters

PRAGUE -- Czech winger Jaromir Jagr is weighing his options for next season after the NHL's new labor agreement limited his earning potential with the New York Rangers.

A strong critic of the deal -- under which no player can earn more than 20 percent of the $39 million salary cap set for each of the NHL's 30 teams -- Jagr is considering playing in Russia instead.

"The situation changes by the hour," Jagr's personal trainer Marian Jelinek was quoted as saying in the daily Blesk.

Jagr, 33, was due to be the NHL's highest paid player this season at $11 million. But under the arrangement, Jagr can earn no more than $7.8 million.

The Rangers could buy out his contract and make him a free agent, in which case Jagr is likely to make less than the maximum allowed given most teams are struggling to deal with a new economic landscape.

On the other hand, Jagr could move to Russian team Avangard Omsk, where he played part of last year with the NHL in a lockout.

The club is owned by Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich, who also owns English soccer club Chelsea.

Avangard lavished millions -- all tax free -- on Jagr to play half a season and is pursuing him again.

"It's complicated. I want to hear the opinions of both clubs. It should be solved within three weeks," Jagr told the daily Mlada Fronta Dnes, adding money was not the main factor in making a decision.

"My heart is pulling me toward Omsk but reason is making me lean toward [New York] ... I really liked it in both places."

Jagr's talent and contribution were celebrated when he guided the Pittsburgh Penguins to two Stanley Cups victories alongside Mario Lemieux.

Jagr also won numerous scoring titles and notched 439 goals with the Pens before he was traded to Washington in July 2001.

He led the Capitals in scoring for two seasons but was roundly criticized for failing to help his team reach the finals.

After the Capitals traded Jagr to the Rangers in January 2004, he managed nearly a point a game. But critics once more heaped blame on him when New York failed to make the postseason.

Jagr's hockey magic came back to life with Avangard.

He regained his scoring touch in Russia with 16 goals and 22 assists in 32 regular-season games, helping Omsk to surpass expectations and reach the playoff semifinals.

By the time the world championship kicked off in Austria, he was in full stride and led the Czech Republic to a gold medal.

After 14 arduous seasons in the NHL, the shorter schedule, less physical and more offensive style of play in Europe could lure Jagr back.

His heart is in Russia???  what a loser... Pls change the number you wear is no loner has an validity you SELL OUT!!!

The NHL has been taking the best talents out of Russia since glasnost, now North American fans are going to know what it feels like.

You missed Red's point. Jagr wears #68 in remembrance of the 1968 Soviet invasion of Czechoslovakia. Now that he willingly played for a Russian team during the lockout and might do so again, Red contends that Jagr should no longer wear that number.

To be honest, I am not jumping the gun on this. But if it were true, plenty of people on OTG including myself had opinions.

And one came up with a great idea which I totally back. Now that it's apparent Anaheim is shopping the 2nd overall pick, trade Jagr for the pick! They want players. Who better than Jagr to play with Fedorov?

Again... all speculation. But it is true about Anaheim. Here's the link:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=131498&hubName=nhl

Jagr's Heart is not full with hockey ... he's a money player :rant:

but 7,8 million Dollars is not enough for Jagr ... he must die of hunger :rofl:

Edited by AndyEF

You missed Red's point.  Jagr wears #68 in remembrance of the 1968 Soviet invasion of Czechoslovakia.  Now that he willingly played for a Russian team during the lockout and might do so again, Red contends that Jagr should no longer wear that number.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's an interesting detail. I had no idea.

I have to admit I laughed my ass off when I heard. Jagr's always been a little quirky though.

The Rangers would probably have to toss in one of their higher picks along with Jagr (even one that the Ducks would only be on the hook for $5 million for) to get the Ducks to trade the #2 for him, especially after this article.

Edited by Hasan4978