Thought on Brian Gionta's positioning

deb4te

Does anyone else notice that for some reason Brian is always down low on the forecheck? I've just been observing him get the puck deep into our zone, and seeing the defenseman covering him always pretty much destroy him into the boards, due to the fact that he's so small. I don't know what they could do about it but it just sucks because we know he can score but he can never keep the puck for long enough to make anything happen, it seems. Thoughts?

not sure I totally agree with you - I guess I haven't thought about it enough though. Part of his style is the scrappiness - I think that's motivating -- but it's not good if he gets strong armed off the puck...

so... how does he get in that position -

does he need a line that can keep up and be there when the pass must be made?

See - from your post - it sounds like his line can't keep up with him -- or is he not controlling the puck so he takes it too far and doesn't pass soon enough even though he could?

What you're describing - you can't debate it unless you also mention your take on where the rest of his line is... does that make sense?

Your observation tells me either a) he's a puck hog, b) he has zero control and just mindlessly plows into the attack zone with zero awareness until he's chased off - or c) his line has crappy chemistry - no one can read where he's going... so what do you think?

(IMO - size isn't an issue - he's been successful. i don't feel he's been figured out -- if he has then well then lou and Sutter suck for not changing things up - I just disagree with that - BUT I do agree that things aren't clicking as they could be - I'm not sure where the tweeking is required though.)

Edited by Pepperkorn

I think he's doing alright BECAUSE HE LEADS THE TEAM IN ASSISTS AND HAD TWO LAST NIGHT

put down the video games and watch the on-ice product!!! :rant:

So... what you're saying is... trade him for Bouwmeester?

In seriousness, I think Gio is doing alright this year. The goals haven't come, but they haven't come for anyone not named Parise. And for all the Gio haters out there, don't worry. He'll be gone in July, and if he gets put with a passer on a more offensive team, he'll net 35.

Well I think Gio is a forechecker on many of his lines because he has the speed to get in deep and then still get back on defense. Gio also has good lateral speed which is important in forechecking.

If I was going to say where Gio's positioning should be changed I still think he belongs in front of the net on the PP and not the half boards. His quickness and eye hand coordination let him do very well in front of the net but the Devils lacked forwards who could puck handle last year so Gio ended up on the half boards and has been there ever since.

If I was going to say where Gio's positioning should be changed I still think he belongs in front of the net on the PP and not the half boards. His quickness and eye hand coordination let him do very well in front of the net but the Devils lacked forwards who could puck handle last year so Gio ended up on the half boards and has been there ever since.

I feel like Gio had his best success in front of the net simply because it was the first season out of the lockout and a little guy like him could park in front of the net without worrying about the consequences. Now defenders are able to get away with a little bit more and someone like Gio is just outmatched at the edge of the crease. It's a shame too because it seemed like, just as he found his calling, the refs started putting the whistles away a little bit more.

Gio is a Devils forward no other team would want him. Too small, inconsistent, and not a scorer. If you want someone that shoots and misses the net or hit's the goalie in the chest then take Gio. He is worth so little in a trade the Devils would have to pay a team to take him.

Edited by LucifersDog

Gio's Problem is he got under the impression he was Ovechkin or Heatley and could score from the perimeter. All of his goals this season came from the same place the majority of Gionta goals come from, just off to the side of the net.

IMO the reason that Gionta-Zubrus-Clarkson line was working is because Zubrus can get the puck and start some cycling in the zone then get it to the point while he uses his bigness to screen the goalie when the defense takes the shot. this allows Gionta to get the the side of the net and put home the rebounds which is what he is great at. and Clarkson he uuuum well I guess he'sgood as a plac holder until Rolston gets back and takes his spot :noclue:

Oh and Gionta on the left wing forces his shots to have a better angle which will be nice after the countless shots from the the side boards that a 60year old women with one eye could stop.