Rangers Sign De Vries

Rock

Rangers sign de Vries

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=47...327&hubName=nhl

TSN.ca Staff

7/14/2003

New York Rangers President, General Manager and Head Coach Glen Sather announced today that the club has signed unrestricted free agent defenseman Greg de Vries. Terms of the contract were not disclosed.

"Greg de Vries has developed into a solid, steady two-way defenseman and we are sure that his addition will help strengthen our defense significantly," said Sather. "He will be a great asset to our hockey club.

The reason DeVries was successful in Colorado was because it was the perfect situation. He didn't have to be the guy and he was their #4 defenseman.

In NY, he will fail miserably just like all the other misfits they've signed in the past. Why this was top priority over the franchise's best ever player is mindboggling. It's a slap in the face to Leetch and they overpaid for DeVries in the process. If I were Leetch, I know what I would do.

Something like that Sue. Leave Sather in the dust and watch as infuriated fans cancel season subscriptions and have the team play to a half empty Garden. Let's see how the owners would feel about keeping the team then.

If I were Leetch, I'd be mad.

Saying that Leetch is a Ranger come October (which about 95% of us believe he probably will be) where do you think de Vries fits?

He isn't better than Leetch or Poti. That puts him in the next group with Malakhov, and Kasparatis.

Basically he is anywhere from 3-5 on the depth chart, pretty much where he should be.

Truth be told, as far as minutes are concerned...

Leetch and Poti will play 25. Malakhov and Kasparatis will play 20. He'll be in the 15-20 range. Again, where he should be.

I really don't think this is the worst move. I'm not jumping up and down, but sooner or later one of these Avs are going to work out.

It's an awful move if they expect him to play on the power play, or take minutes away from Leetch. DeVries is a 2nd pairing guy who plays well at even strength. He does take some risks from the backline, so it's hard to say who he should be paired with.

If Leetch had had any balls like that, he would have demanded a trade years ago. He's not going anywhere, not in this market. If he signs with Colorado for less money..

Poti is scary and isn't a defenseman. I wish they could get rid of him but it looks like they're stuck with him. Malakhov is what he is. A guy who can have good spurts and then be awful for stretches as well. I don't trust him in a big spot. Kaspar might be okay in NY. If the 2nd half was any indication, then he rebounded well from an awful beginning. Without Leetch back, the defense is sunk. The DeVries' signing makes no sense unless #2 returns. I'd also like to see Purinton as a regular. I'd also like to see Tyutin make the team. I guess they'll see how he does in training camp.

I agree with Tri about DeVries. He's a #4 guy who takes risks. That means he needs a steady D partner in order for it to work.

rangers will make it into the playoffs as a 6th or 7th seed and will lose in the first round.

they will go 0-4 against the devils in the regular season.

Don't the Devs/Rags play 6 times this year? Thought it was every team in your division plays each other 6 times from now on.

rangers will make it into the playoffs as a 6th or 7th seed and will lose in the first round.

they will go 0-4 against the devils in the regular season.

I do agree that the Rangers will make the playoffs this year. I could see them going as high as the 5-spot.

As for losing in the first round, they should, but stranger things have happened.

Besides, if I'm a Rangers fan, I'm rooting for them to make the playoffs and not get swept -- that would be an infinite improvement over the past 6 seasons.

As for them going 0-4 against the Devils, again, stranger things have happened. Devils always have issues beating teams they "should" beat, like Atlanta, Columbus, Nashville, Calgary, etc. I'm really hoping they decide to shake that this year....

the rangers do not have a bad defense. leetch, malakhov, mironov, kasparaitis, poti, lefebrve, and now devries. that's not a bad defense at all. when sather decides to implement a more modern system, he'll see results from that defense.

but in the meanwhile, it'll be fun to witness the debunking of the hype surrounding another former avalanche.

the rangers do not have a bad defense. leetch, malakhov, mironov, kasparaitis, poti, lefebrve, and now devries. that's not a bad defense at all. when sather decides to implement a more modern system, he'll see results from that defense.

but in the meanwhile, it'll be fun to witness the debunking of the hype surrounding another former avalanche.

They dont have Leectch signed and without him DeVries is their #1 ! Hes a #4 on most teams. Without Leetch that is by FAR the worst d core in the nhl.

the rangers do not have a bad defense.  leetch, malakhov, mironov, kasparaitis, poti, lefebrve, and now devries.  that's not a bad defense at all.  when sather decides to implement a more modern system, he'll see results from that defense.

They dont have Leectch signed and without him DeVries is their #1 ! Hes a #4 on most teams. Without Leetch that is by FAR the worst d core in the nhl.

I think the Penguins are probably worse off.

Sh**, the Ranger$$$ could surpass their usual defensive suckage if Leetch DOES bail, eh? DeVries is somewhat overrated imo, and I think being on the Crapalanche for a while also helped artifically inflate his value (ESPN gushes about that whole diabolical team, it seems). They'd better pray that some other team doesn't nab Leetch; not that I'd blame him for leaving or anything ;) after they shelled out the money for some "mercenary" and aren't signing him yet.