Devils’ coaching move could be close

Rock

i am not against this move but was wondering has there ever been a successful coach who came from the ncaa to coach the nhl?

Directly I doubt it, I think Bob Johnson was a college coach at one time and later led the Pens to their first cup but don't think he went straight from college. Generally college coaches have to have some experience in the league first before getting a NHL head job, which Eaves does have.

I'm still stubborn and hope for Mike Haviland, though. He's won on every level of hockey he's traversed - yes, he even has a Stanley Cup on his resume as an assistant coach for the Chicago Blackhawks - so it only seems probable that the head coach is the next step for him. And he has the Jersey roots.

Seeing as Haviland's already been passed over twice by us I doubt he's on the radar this time either. I'm surprised nobody else has hired him by this point though.

Edited by NJDevs4978

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I've said I don't really care who the coach is so long as he gets the team to play solid hockey and sticks around for more than a year. I stand by that.

However, if Zach is made captain and Eaves is hired as coach, I think it would be less likely that Eaves would lose the room. Not to mention... from what you guys have posted about Eaves' experience, it seems he'd be more ready to coach in the NHL then MacLean was. Also, truth be told it didn't help last season that we had Langenbrunner, a coach killer, on our team. I don't think the MacLean debacle should deter the organization from selecting a rookie coach who is actually READY for the position. I mean, look at Boucher.

WCHA - Eaves

There's some interesting things in Eaves' bio here. Seven years in Wisconsin now (so maybe he could stay for more than a year at the Devs, pretty please?). Second season - led his team to a big turnaround. Mmmhmm. Ex head coach of USA Hockey's National Team Development Program (NTDP), accelerating elite kids. Good. Led the USA juniors to a gold medal in 2004. Excellent. However ... ex assistant head coach of the Flames, Pens and Flyers ... so I wonder if that was his choice to see different systems, or he just didn't work out in the big league.

So I think he has good credentials, but he really needs a good mentor for the camp and first half season to avoid the JMac Syndrome. I would love for Jacques to stick around to do that transition properly this time.

Are you blaming Jacques for the MacLean mess? When coaches leave in the NHL they just leave they don't stick around to help the trainee in MacLean's case. If you need to blame someone blame LOU.

Devils coaching is frustrating. IMO Hitchcock is short term, rookies don't have experience and there isn't anyone else I see that would be a long term coach without taking a risk. Lou most of the time picks the wrong coach. IMO Julian was a keeper but Lou always sides with the players and dumps coaches like we throw away tissues.

Best news I've heard all off season in regards to a coach! Mike Eaves is an excellent choice for a few really good reasons!

1. He has the Parise stamp of approval
  2. He is a proven developer of young talent
  3. He's NOT a member of the Devil OR Hab Alumni
  4. His birth certificate dosen't have BC after the year!

This coaching decision will be based on the young guns coming up the next few years, the new core group going forward. The old guard can deal with it for a year or leave!

DEVILS FAN FOR LIFE, DEATH TO LEAFS NATION! :horse:

:gd:

i gotta a feeling that Michel Therrien is our next coach

Based on what?

All signs are pointing to Eaves or Ramsay.

The more I read on Eaves, the more I think he is a perfect fit going in considering where we are. While Sutter is a douche, I was excited for him coming in, and I think its fair to be as positive for Eaves. Ramsay would be alright as well. Either of the rumored "current top candidates" would be a good choice for this team.

Are you blaming Jacques for the MacLean mess? When coaches leave in the NHL they just leave they don't stick around to help the trainee in MacLean's case. If you need to blame someone blame LOU.

Yeah - sorry that didn't come out quite right. JL clearly has a lot of respect for the Devils organization, and helped Lou out big time mid last season. It would be great if Lou could buy some insurance this time round, by seeing if JL would be interested in assisting behind the scenes to ease the transition. Maybe not easy though if the new guy wants to make his mark with a change of style, etc.

4.His birth certificate dosen't have BC after the year!

To be fair two of the last three coaches we've hired have been far younger than Eaves (he's 55).

Am I the only one who doesnt care about the "parise stamp of approval"? man the fvck up and play for whoever is your coach. We can't cater to one player.

You could do worse than getting a guy Zach respects, it's not like he's one of the goofballs that slacked off under prior coaches, were insubordinate or shot pucks at them to get them fired. Besdies Eaves has a pretty good resume on his own right.

Am I the only one who doesnt care about the "parise stamp of approval"? man the fvck up and play for whoever is your coach. We can't cater to one player.

You're probably not, however the guys that matter (i.e LL and JVB) most definitely do. It's not about catering to one player it's about controlling a locker room! When your superstars are 110% in favor of a guy the rest of the troops fall in line trusting in their leadership. It's been happening in NJ for years why change that now?

Think of it this way, if you play on the Indianapolis Colts and Payton Manning tells you that this coach and his systems are very good, are you going to question him, even if the coach has no NFL head coaching experience? NO, because he's Payton Manning, the superstar and your leader!

So while i agree with you, and by no means is Zach getting the final word as to who the coach will be, LL and JVB will talk to and take into account the opinion of their stars (Kovi, Zach) when making their choice!

DEVILS FAN FOR LIFE, DEATH TO LEAFS NATION :horse:

To be fair two of the last three coaches we've hired have been far younger than Eaves (he's 55).

True true, i just much prefer to have a guy not in his 60's takeover (Hitchcock). For me the big thing with Eaves is his developing of young talent. NJ is about to say good bye to the old guard and welcome in the new.

A guy like Eaves would be a fantastic step for the Devils, being that he's young-ish (< 60), experienced with the young guns ( USNTDP, NCAA, National JR Team), has an outside view (NOT a Hab or Devil) and has a supporter in, who many believe to be the next Captain of the Devils, Zach!

OR let's turn the rains over to Hitch(2-3 yr life span w/teams), Therrien who managed to piss off Crosby AND Malkin or Haviland who has interviewed for 4-5 coaching jobs and still hasn't landed one! But hey, we don't make these calls but it sure is fun to to hazard our own guesses and opinions on it!

DEVILS FAN FOR LIFE, DEATH TO LEAFS NATION! :horse:

Edited by Devil in Leaf Nation

ecwiscott Scott Scott

by d_piece

#NJDevils job. The silence of Mike Eaves is deafening in Madison. No denials, no happy to be in Madtown statements coming from him.

George Falkowski (sp) of News12NJ is reporting on tonight's sports report that Mike Eaves could be named coach as early as Tuesday. No guarantee as Craig Ramsey is supposedly still in the mix, but he thinks it will be Eaves.

Edited by Confusious

George Falkowski (sp) of News12NJ is reporting on tonight's sports report that Mike Eaves could be named coach as early as Tuesday. No guarantee as Craig Ramsey is supposedly still in the mix, but he thinks it will be Eaves.

I heard this from a friend, too. Did he say at all how he knows this? Or just "a source"?