BAD PICK, MORE OR JESS

Rock

BAD PICK, MORE OR JESS

http://www.nypost.com/sports/rangers/22196.htm

March 31, 2004 -- THE RANGERS had their shot at Zach Parise, had their chance at 12th overall in last year's NHL Entry Draft to seize the 5-10 North Dakota freshman center renowned for his work ethic. They passed. They passed on him only to see the Devils trade up to grab J.P.'s kid five selections later. The Rangers passed on him in order to select Dartmouth freshman left winger Hugh Jessiman, at 6-5 and 220 a more impressive physical specimen, all right, but at the same time a riskier, blank-page kind of prospect.

Parise, who left school to sign Monday with the Devils, he's on the fast track after a Hobey Baker-nominated sensational season for the Fighting Sioux and the MVP award in the World Junior Tournament won for the first time by Team USA. Though he was not in the lineup for last night's 5-0 Meadowlands rout of the Blueshirts, he might wind up in the playoffs for the defending Stanley Cup champions.

Jessiman, on the other hand, he's remaining at school for his spring trimester after an average season that followed a rejection from Team USA after a poor summer tryout. Three days after his 20th birthday, he remains very much a prospect and a work in progress . . . who might come to the conclusion, by the way, that his progress can best be served by remaining for at least another season in the Ivy League as opposed to spending as a rookie in the American League.

"That's something I'll decide over the summer," Jessiman, who decided to remain at school rather than sign now and go to Hartford for this season's AHL playoffs, told The Post yesterday afternoon. "On one hand I know that the Rangers would like to have more control over my career by having me in their system, but on the other hand I think there's some value to me remaining in school and having a season where I'll have the opportunity to dominate at this level on a game-by-game basis."

Jessiman, whose parents are Dartmouth grads, learned from last summer's Team USA tryout that dissolved into a major disappointment when he showed up in less-than-peak physical condition. He's learned from a so-so season in which he registered 16 goals and 33 points in 34 games after a 23-goal, 47-point freshman year.

"I've already made arrangements to work out every day at the Rangers' training facility over the summer, so physical condition isn't going to be an issue for me, next season or ever again," Jessiman said. "And even though my stats might not have been great, I think I had a pretty good season given that for the first time ever, other teams were concentrating on shutting me down and had checkers specifically assigned to me.

"That was a good experience for me. I think as the year progressed, I became more comfortable with it and adapted to it pretty well. That's one of the things that if I'm back at school that'll be good for me to have to contend with again.

"My eye is definitely on getting to New York. It's just a matter of making a mutual decision with the organization on what's the best way not only for me to get to the Rangers but to be successful when I do get there."

Jessiman remains the hope for the future. With so little present, the Rangers can't afford to have made a mistake last June. If they did, chances are they'll only have to look across the Hudson in order to be reminded of it.

Jessiman has scary skills, but that does not always translate to the ice. We've seen too many big, fast, 'scary skilled' guys like that picked in the last 6 years who don't pan out (Mike Rupp, Nikita Alexeev). Scouts love guys with skills, but there are some players who will never be able to translate those skills into the professional game.

Being rejected from Team USA really doesn't help Jessiman's case.

The point Brooks is trying to make is that the Rangers shouldn't have gone for a project like Jessiman when there was a player like Parise on the board.

A lot of teams passed up on Parise because of his size. He was not the biggest player at the draft, and in an era of giants, he was overlooked. It was yet another smart decision by Lou to trade up and snag Parise, because this kid is going to be a stud in this league. Besides, havent the Datsyuks and St. Louis proven that size is not everything?

Scouts hate small players, FunkyBlueFish, but with the drafting of 5' 8" Pierre-Marc Bouchard in the first round in 2002 (and 5' 11"-6' 0" Calder-winning defenseman Barrett Jackman, and 5' 8" Stanislav Chistov the year before that), and with the history of big projects like Alexeev and Rupp who were picked high despite mediocre numbers in junior, I really thought that scouts were looking past size more than they had before.

One would think so, wouldnt they, Triumph?

I was amazed to see so many teams pass up on Parise and Jessiman get picked higher than him. Jessiman was coming off a solid rookie season but Parise has better upside. Parise has been on the US national team and been a Hobey Baker finalist for 2 years now. He's had solid seasons with NDU as well. Add on his performance at the WJC and this kid is just golden!

I precisely remember announcers being surprised during the draft with Parise being available at # 17! I cant think of another reason besides size. Some teams did have more pressing matters to address - like Atlanta who picked up Braydon Coburn, a big d-man 8th overall - but a team like the Rangers should've gone for Parise. It's their loss and the Devils gain now.

Interesting stat: In the past 10 years, 46% of the players drafted in the 1st round have not played a single game in the NHL. Mind boggling.

I love Parise but it's a little early for anyone to declare Jessiman a bust. What I would like to see is whether he truly has learned from his experience this past year and can make a dramatic improvement this coming season.

I would say that if, after training all summer in the Rangers' facilities and attending the prospects camp this summer, and knowing that he is going to be the subject of other teams' checking attention, there isn't a significant rise in his stats next year, the Rangers have a right to be worried.

I wouldn't label Hugh a bust just yet either, Sue. Like you said, it's a bit too early. If he's not ready to crack the lineup in 2 years, then yes, the Rangers should consider that pick up a failure.

I think it's a matter of making better choices. Parise is a character player and he will be an asset to any organization. He has more upside than Jessiman at this point and perhaps the Rangers would've been better off picking him. It's like Mike Millbury trading away Roberto Luongo in 2001 and drafting another goalie, Rick DiPietro 1st overall just because he wanted to be the 1st GM to draft a goalie 1st overall. He essentially denied his club a chance at acquiring Dany Heatley, who was picked up 2nd overall by Atlanta. So while Rick DiPietro has taken 2 and 1/2 years to get in mold, Dany Heatley has used the same time to stack up his stats and pick up some major hardware. Like I said, it just comes down to making good/smart choices.

what's wrong with you guys

this is a great article, and one from brooks never the less. stop trying to be objective and just enjoy it!

I'm going with this.

I'm not over thinking it, Jackman has done jack in the NHL, but so has Parise.

I'll enjoy the pain this cause the Ranger world.

what's wrong with you guys

this is a great article, and one from brooks never the less.  stop trying to be objective and just enjoy it!

I'm going with this.

I'm not over thinking it, Jackman has done jack in the NHL, but so has Parise.

I'll enjoy the pain this cause the Ranger world.

Hugh Jackman :lol:

Jessiman has scary skills, but that does not always translate to the ice. We've seen too many big, fast, 'scary skilled' guys like that picked in the last 6 years who don't pan out (Mike Rupp, Nikita Alexeev). Scouts love guys with skills, but there are some players who will never be able to translate those skills into the professional game.

Being rejected from Team USA really doesn't help Jessiman's case.

The point Brooks is trying to make is that the Rangers shouldn't have gone for a project like Jessiman when there was a player like Parise on the board.

Brooks is trying to make himself look good useing 20/20 hindsight. Not every team is looking for the safe pick. Why doesn't he start running his mouth about Rangers absolute steal in the 5th round, Nigel Dawes. Almost 50 goals in 50 games who dominated the WJC with Stewart and Richards.

Yes scouts absolutly love size and skill, it isn't like Rangers are the only ones taking chances on player like that. NJ has used that theory with Tallackson, Khomutov, Ryznar, Kadeikin and Uchevatov. At the present moment Khomutov and Kadeikin are the only ones I feel that is doing anything, even Kadeikin isn't developing the all round game I thought he would.

Scouts hate small players, FunkyBlueFish, but with the drafting of 5' 8" Pierre-Marc Bouchard in the first round in 2002 (and 5' 11"-6' 0" Calder-winning defenseman Barrett Jackman, and 5' 8" Stanislav Chistov the year before that), and with the history of big projects like Alexeev and Rupp who were picked high despite mediocre numbers in junior, I really thought that scouts were looking past size more than they had before.

Petr Vrana, redline is the only scouting agency that ranks players the way they see them and they had Vrana as their 10th best forward in the draft...ahead of Parise (Parise was 11th or 12th). Vrana is only 5`10 180. Central Scouting, a scouting agnecy which has been known to go Size crazy had Vrana in the 3rd round for North American prospects.

I feel Vrana is our most offensivly gifted prospect, even more so then Parise. Parise doesn't come within a mile of Vrana's puck handling abilities. Their hockey sense are close to equal. Vrana had 83 points in 71 games last year in the QMJHL, this year under a PPG mainly because Halifax was the leagues qorst team and he had nothing to play with.....also because his shoulder is really messed up and needs surgery but he played through it.

The difference between all of those players and Jessman is that none of them were first round (let alone a top 12) pick. When you are drafted that high you have much higher expectations than the guys you listed who were taken in subsequent rounds.

Its still high risk......Tallackson, Ryznar and Kadeikin were NJ's first three selections in the 2002 draft. I will be the first to admit that NJ isn't scared to draft a smaller player, they draft the best player available in the first round, something that hasn't really helped rangers in the past. So I guess they took a gamble this year.

It's not high risk in the 2nd and later rounds. 25% of 2nd rounders make the NHL, so you're free to gamble there. The thing about a 1st round pick is that there are high expectations for them. They're expected to be good players. But Sather went with hubris once again, trying to show that he still knows how to find diamonds in the rough. Maybe he'll be right. But Jessiman hasn't exactly handled being a first-round pick very well.

The Devils have clearly shown themselves willing to pick smaller players, the selections of Gomez and Gionta and Parise show that. They pick who they think is the best player, and sure they will go for some reaches, and sometimes they miss. Not every player you pick is going to make the NHL.

Puck handling abilities? Does that include passing? I think stick handling is an overrated ability in today's NHL.

Edited by Triumph

It's not high risk in the 2nd and later rounds. 25% of 2nd rounders make the NHL, so you're free to gamble there. The thing about a 1st round pick is that there are high expectations for them. They're expected to be good players. But Sather went with hubris once again, trying to show that he still knows how to find diamonds in the rough. Maybe he'll be right. But Jessiman hasn't exactly handled being a first-round pick very well.

The Devils have clearly shown themselves willing to pick smaller players, the selections of Gomez and Gionta and Parise show that. They pick who they think is the best player, and sure they will go for some reaches, and sometimes they miss. Not every player you pick is going to make the NHL.

Puck handling abilities? Does that include passing? I think stick handling is an overrated ability in today's NHL.

I will do a strength thing just like Parise

Strength:

1.) Top end speed

2.) Agility like St Louis, think of a tennis ball type player

3.) Deceptive Moves

4.) Best stickhandler in draft

5.) Amazing vision

6.) Great passing

7.) Better PP quarterback then Parise

8.) Grit is alot less then Parise, but still there, played through injuries

9.) Leadership (captains Mooseheads at 18 being a euro)

10.) Decent PK'er, nowhere close to Parise

Weaknesses:

1.) Strength on puck (relies on speed rather then strength)

2.) Size

3.) Average shot

Interesting stat: In the past 10 years, 46% of the players drafted in the 1st round have not played a single game in the NHL. Mind boggling.

Just for the hell of it, let's see how well the Devils have done. Graded with my scientific system... RED = stud; GREEN = journeyman; BLUE = loser; BLACK = still considered a prospect

1993 Denis Pederson

1994 Vadim Sharifijanov (around 90 NHL games total with the Devils and Canucks)

1995 Petr Sykora

1996 Lance Ward (went unsigned by the Devils, picked up by Florida in the 1998 draft)

1997 J-F Damphousse (6 NHL games)

1998 Mike van Ryn

1998 Scott Gomez

1999 Ari Ahonen

2000 David Hale (some will disagree... this is more of a "red and black" thing, though. he's already playing on an NHL level, and still has the potential to develop into a stud within the next few years)

2001 Adrian Foster

2002 N/A

2003 Zach Parise

Honestly, the Devils have had more first round busts than I expected, though from Scott Gomez on it's been solid. Foster is the only major question mark with his injury problems.

One thing on Van Ryn, as much as I dislike him, he has finally had a really good year. He is doing well in Florida after all that mess in St. Louis. Now someone should look him in the eye and ask him whether he could have cut the process short by repressing his ego, going to the minors in the first place and really learning the game. But maybe he needed the butt-kicking of 2-3 years of abject failure to get it all together.

He's finally looking like the player people thought he could be. I'm not sure he's in the 'stud' category yet but I believe he's found a home in Florida and you can take the 'journeyman' tag off him.

Edited by SueNJ97