Devils Sign Steve Bernier

njdevil26

Agreed, but apparently that line has been broken up. TG reported earlier that Carter and JJ were swapped in today's practice.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/elas_salvador_henrique_missing_from_devils_practice_today/

JJ was skating strong early in that game then took a few big hits and looked a bit timid late on the boards. I wonder if he aggrevated that shoulder

JJ was skating strong early in that game then took a few big hits and looked a bit timid late on the boards. I wonder if he aggrevated that shoulder

Yeah, I noticed he took a bit of a beating last game. However, since he was skating on the fourth line in practice, I doubt he aggravated the shoulder. If he were not skating at all then I'd be worried, but that obviously isn't the case.

I like what he has brought these past few games. He's taking puck to the net and cycling well in the corners. Hopefully he keeps it up as our third line looked strong in both games this weekend.

Agreed. I actually get excited when Poni JJ and bernier take their shifts.

Agreed. I actually get excited when Poni JJ and bernier take their shifts.

exactly. although they're unproven together, when they take the ice its like we know they can do big things.

that behind the back pass from bernier to poni and the poni steal, bernier pass to poni (that almost went in) basically updated me on the status of their chemistry

I live the Ponijosefnier line, they add some size and scoring to the 4th line and the other 3 lines are spread out pretty evenly when Zajac returns.

Kovy-Henrique-Clarkson

Parise-Zajac-???

Sykora-Elias-Zubrus

We have a hole on RW, let's wait and see whether Zharky/Teddy/Napalm/or from a trade can give us a scary team up front.

I live the Ponijosefnier line, they add some size and scoring to the 4th line and the other 3 lines are spread out pretty evenly when Zajac returns.

Kovy-Henrique-Clarkson

Parise-Zajac-???

Sykora-Elias-Zubrus

We have a hole on RW, let's wait and see whether Zharky/Teddy/Napalm/or from a trade can give us a scary team up front.

I'd rather see Henrique and Elias switched. I don't like a line that has Kovy, Clarkson and a rookie together. That line has the potential to get dominated by other team's top lines if they get caught in the d zone.

I'd like to see this:

Parise-Zajac-Zubrus

Kovy-Elias-Sykora

Ponikarovsky-Henrique-Clarkson

Boulton-Josefson-Bernier

Four lines like this are really good and honestly can match up against any team in the league. The issue on this team is the defense, especially since it hasn't been 100% healthy all year. I'd really like to see a real top 4 guy that can be our offensive d-man, but that's going to be very hard/impossible to acquire at the deadline. Other than that, our goaltending has been good enough lately and our offense has been better than just about anyone else since the break, so I have no doubt in my mind that we will make the playoff and have a chance to make it deeper than just the first round.

Lets just hope we can make it as the 4th, 5th or 6th seed so we can play Philly, Pittsburgh or whoever wins the Southeast division because those matchups, I think, give us the best chance to make it past the first round. I don't think anyone here can deny that if we make the playoffs, we have a chance to go deep. If we get in as the 5th seed, then win and someone upsets Boston, the path to go deep just got much easier. Anything can happen in the playoffs.

People talk about NJ as if they're a bubble team, but in reality we've won just as many games as Philly, Pit, St. Louis and 1 more than Chicago has, but people talk about those teams being "elite" teams in the league and how they have the ability to go deep in the playoffs or even having a shot at the Cup. So if they're elite teams and have real chances to win it all, than so do we.