NHL GMs looking to cut down on fighting

Triumph

Horrible....Hockey has already been on a downward slide. Cutting out fighting basically would ruin the game and make the regular season games a lot more dull.

Nothing better then knowing that a fight is going to occur before a game starts. (Rupp vs. Cote or Rupp vs. Orr)

technically they just want to cut down on the perception that fights are staged. They players would have to skate for 5 seconds before they drop the gloves, so it would be a 4-4 until the fight started.

The other rule likely to pass is about helmets, either a specific penalty for removing yours or an opponents AND once a helmet comes off by any means, the linesmen will step in immediately.

I have no problem with these changes.

"The GMs would like to see a 10-minute misconduct penalty assessed to players who drop their gloves right after a faceoff."

That wouldn't necessarily be a bad rule, fights should come as a result of what is happening in the game and not because two guys are trying to flex their muscles. However, I think this rule should only be for when there is a fight to begin a game, not the second or third period. As we already see, fights to begin games do very little and like all fights, just put players in danger. Players who fight know what they are risking so I am not against fighting, in the right frame of the game, which is not the very beginning of the first period.

I have a problem with any rule that cuts down fighting. If I wanted to watch tennis I would watch tennis.

I'm trying to think of any rule change that I think has made the game better. Helmets? Safer yes, better no. Shootout? Just threw up in my mouth. Instigator? Maybe, but that wasn't a major change.

Wasn't there also supposed to be some discussion regarding disallowing players removing their helmets before they fight? I heard Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon debating this during their PTI show a day or two ago.

And that's one reason why I wouldn't want to see the league get too big. The more popular the NHL becomes, the more that non-hockey fans will get involved in trying to change the rules.

Horrible....Hockey has already been on a downward slide. Cutting out fighting basically would ruin the game and make the regular season games a lot more dull.

Nothing better then knowing that a fight is going to occur before a game starts. (Rupp vs. Cote or Rupp vs. Orr)

i have only ever seen you post about fighting. that's the kind of thing the GMs are trying to get out of the game - the hockeyfights.com mentality.

fwiw, i think it's a pretty silly rule change as well. i do like better enforcement of the instigator, though.

Edited by Triumph

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=270621&amp...os=secStory_nhl

"The GMs would like to see a 10-minute misconduct penalty assessed to players who drop their gloves right after a faceoff."

fvcking lame.

I have a problem with any rule that cuts down fighting. If I wanted to watch tennis I would watch tennis.

I'm trying to think of any rule change that I think has made the game better. Helmets? Safer yes, better no. Shootout? Just threw up in my mouth. Instigator? Maybe, but that wasn't a major change.

Don't forget the wonderful trapezoid. :rolleyes:

i have only ever seen you post about fighting. that's the kind of thing the GMs are trying to get out of the game - the hockeyfights.com mentality.

fwiw, i think it's a pretty silly rule change as well. i do like better enforcement of the instigator, though.

I agree that we don't want UFC on ice, although I believe that would market better then ice dancing on ice. You cannot put grown athletes on skates, put stick in their hands and put them in an enclosed space and not expect the occasional fight when they run into each other as part of the game. I am surprised there aren't more fights in the NFL among athletic positions, like WR and CB - on the lines they are too big and wear too much equipment to make that feasible.

Eliminating fights = bad.

Eliminating useless predetermined fights = good.

It doesn't excite me one bit when they just square off to justify their place on the roster. Honest, blood-boiling-over fights like you'll see plenty of in the post-season on the other hand are great.

Did anyone read the part about 20% of all fights occurring immediately after a face-off.

They're not trying to get rid of spontaneous fighting (which to them means during play) but rather the "perception" that it is staged.

NASCAR didn't get rid of crashes but did put the hammer down on drivers that "intentionally" crash into an opponent.

Same logic here. Perception not reality. Its all for show.

Did anyone read the part about 20% of all fights occurring immediately after a face-off.

They're not trying to get rid of spontaneous fighting (which to them means during play) but rather the "perception" that it is staged.

NASCAR didn't get rid of crashes but did put the hammer down on drivers that "intentionally" crash into an opponent.

Same logic here. Perception not reality. Its all for show.

Yeah but no one is calling for NASCAR to eliminate crashes -- which would be hard to do anyway. But there are many people who annually call for the elimination of fighting in the NHL -- which wouldn't be hard to enforce at all.

I don't see what the difference is whether they fight immediately after the face-off or not. If two guys want to go at it, then they'll go at it. In that sense, almost every fight is staged.

Edited by 95Crash

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=270621&amp...os=secStory_nhl

OMG...I am so fvcking tired of people coming down on fighting in the NHL. IT'S A PART OF THE GODDAMN GAME!

Jesus, this makes me wanna pull someones jersey over their head and beat the living out of them!

:ECW:

When it comes to devils related topics everyone says the same stuff, so I like to talk about a topic that I strongly agree with and a topic that is a argumentative topic.

I do also post a lot when it is about baseball as well.

Edited by Verran12

I hate the wording of 'fighting after a clean hit'. That is totally up to the descretion of the ref. If the ref missed a bad hit, and someone fights, it's then an instigator because the hit was, in the ref's eyes, clean?

Example... early this season, Parise got checked from behind into the boards by Hollweg (shocker). Parise goes off, Rupp comes on, and bloodies Hollweg in a fight. Now, since the ref didn't call the first hit, Rupp gets an additional 10 mins? Doesn't seem right.

I agree that we don't want UFC on ice, although I believe that would market better then ice dancing on ice. You cannot put grown athletes on skates, put stick in their hands and put them in an enclosed space and not expect the occasional fight when they run into each other as part of the game. I am surprised there aren't more fights in the NFL among athletic positions, like WR and CB - on the lines they are too big and wear too much equipment to make that feasible.

this is one mantra of the pro-fighting crowd that i don't understand. why is it 'necessary'? is it necessary if you give children sticks and put them in an enclosed space? how about teenagers?

the reason why there aren't fights in football is because players can be ejected for fighting.

i like fighting, but it's not going to be legal in the nhl in the next 10-20 years, no matter how many times doc emrick says that no one got hurt and none of the fans seem to have left. i do wonder about the minor leagues, though, which seem to thrive on keeping it a part of the game.

Any GM that buckles under the pressure of the limp wristed hockey hating pansies who don't like fighting deserves to be bertuzzi'd, then run over by a zamboni

spineless pukes

Under the proposed rules, Ottawa Senators forward Jason Spezza would have received 19 minutes on one play for his actions in a game last week. Spezza fought Calgary's Dion Phaneuf in response to a clean hit on Dany Heatley and would essentially be given four penalties for that next season - two minutes for instigating, two minutes for instigating with a visor, five minutes for fighting and an automatic 10-minute misconduct

that is silly, clean hit or not you have to protect your star players. Spezza deserved 5 minutes for fighting. NOTHING ELSE.

Will they stop dragging Don Sandersons ghost around? Do they have no shame? How does what happened to him have ANYTHING to do with two guys agreeing to have a great, entertaining scrap right after the puck drops? Bettman and his minions are chip chip chipping away at hockey just as I predicted they would.

Do you see what's going on here? We have a trapezoid because Bobby Clarke decided he didn't like the fact that Martin Brodeur and Rick Dipietro could handle the puck well and play in the same division

We have a non hockey skills competition to decide games. We revert to a completely different sport

Nothing is sacred anymore, there are not enough Brian Burke's to save hockey!

Edited by '7'

and what will they gain from getting rid of the hockeyfights menatality. Same thing they gained from the sh!tout...nothing, not a single fan.

hockey only stands to lose from these decisions.

The NHL should send out official surveys to its season ticket holders, or have one you can fill out online. Ask what the consumers want to do about fighting. I've seen one's done on websites and by papers that show 85-95% IN FAVOR of fighting. They are really going agains the grain this time.

And how about some surveys about loosening restrictions on fighting and the instigator penalties? What are they afraid we might tell them something they don't want to hear? Ever wonder why some of youtubes most popular videos are of bench clearing brawls and the general mayhem of old time hockey?

Seems like the pansies are dictating to us what's good for hockey

Edited by '7'

this is one mantra of the pro-fighting crowd that i don't understand. why is it 'necessary'? is it necessary if you give children sticks and put them in an enclosed space? how about teenagers?

You put 20 children in an enclosed space and give them sticks I promise there will be one who hits another with it. With teenagers I'd up it to at least 2.

You can't make a violent sport not violent. You want to stop fighting? Make players wear full face cages that can't come off. In NHL fights you don't see many guys going for body blows.

Edited by SC Devs Fan

and what will they gain from getting rid of the hockeyfights menatality. Same thing they gained from the sh!tout...nothing, not a single fan.

hockey only stands to lose from these decisions.

The NHL should send out official surveys to its season ticket holders, or have one you can fill out online. Ask what the consumers want to do about fighting. I've seen one's done on websites and by papers that show 85-95% IN FAVOR of fighting. They are really going agains the grain this time.

And how about some surveys about loosening restrictions on fighting and the instigator penalties? What are they afraid we might tell them something they don't want to hear? Ever wonder why some of youtubes most popular videos are of bench clearing brawls and the general mayhem of old time hockey?

Seems like the pansies are dictating to us what's good for hockey

the nhl is clearly trying to limit its liability. someone will get seriously injured as the result of these fights.

they're not taking fighting out, they're trying to limit the sideshow aspect of it. i enjoy fights too. it's clear the GMs see this as a problem, so this isn't a mandate on high from gary bettman.