CLEMMENSEN RETURNS TO DEVILS

HellOnICE

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure the point of bumping this up except maybe for someone that has a good sense of humor to get a laugh out of it. I mean normally a few of us come down on one side of a debate and a few more on another but if you told me 98% of people had no confidence in Clemmer back in July (or even November) I'd say that number has to be too low.

I don't know one person here who thought anything like this was even remotely possible, we all look silly now - it's just to what degree each person looks silly. Some of us were meaner towards Clem than others, some of us took longer to get on the bandwagon (and some even now aren't on the bandwagon entirely) but absolutely nothing in his track record suggested he could come up and play like this.

We haven't had a true Cinderella story in a while because of being one of the best teams in the league year in and year out, but Clem is definitely becoming one.

Clemmer's been doing this for 22 games. Marty's been doing this for 978, and that's just during the regular season. Clemmer's very small sample of success isn't going to cheapen what Marty's done in the slightest. As for the naysayers...fvck 'em. Any one of 'em would take Marty in a heartbeat and deep down they all know it.

I don't think its a matter of the sample size...especially for those who are going to doubt how good Marty is to begin with...point can be made Marty had success and now an obvious mediocre (at the very least he was just that before the past two months) goalie is having just as much success and putting up good numbers doing it...the one constant is a defensive scheme and system that rivals the best if it isn't considered that already...the same can be said of our "no name" D...they are products of a great defensive system with good two way forwards...bottom line is the team as a whole, Clemmer included, are playing out of their mind and here's to hoping it continues...

I feel for Weekes, he never really got a chance, and he's been a class act the entire time. That said, Clemmer's been amazing. He's good for a couple heart attacks a game, and Oduya and Martin's scoring has been limited cause the y have to bail him out on rebounds, but he's been a legitimately good NHL starter. We've been spoiled by Marty, but I'm somewhat impressed.

I feel for Weekes, he never really got a chance, and he's been a class act the entire time. That said, Clemmer's been amazing. He's good for a couple heart attacks a game, and Oduya and Martin's scoring has been limited cause the y have to bail him out on rebounds, but he's been a legitimately good NHL starter. We've been spoiled by Marty, but I'm somewhat impressed.

Pretty much my sentiments exactly.

I don't think its a matter of the sample size...especially for those who are going to doubt how good Marty is to begin with...point can be made Marty had success and now an obvious mediocre (at the very least he was just that before the past two months) goalie is having just as much success and putting up good numbers doing it...the one constant is a defensive scheme and system that rivals the best if it isn't considered that already...the same can be said of our "no name" D...they are products of a great defensive system with good two way forwards...bottom line is the team as a whole, Clemmer included, are playing out of their mind and here's to hoping it continues...

I don't think THAT many people in the grand scheme of things (especially not the more important ones) will try to downplay Marty's success. Idiotic Rangers fans (that's a little redundant) will do it more than anyone else, but every hockey show I watch is taking Clemmer's surprising success as a separate entity, as opposed to taking the "Well, if THAT guy can do it, then ANYBODY..." stance.

Besides, who better to judge Marty than us? WE know how great he's been for the balance of his career. WE'VE seen him at his very best. As much as I appreciate everything he's done, I'll be the first to admit he hasn't always been perfect...I point to the four-year period where he posted save%s of .906, .906, .910 and .906 and really wasn't much better than slightly above-average over that stretch...he was terrific in helping to lead the Devils to the 2000 SC Championship (his high point over that four-year stretch), but was not great during the '01 run and was terrible during the '01 Finals...look at the goals in Game 7 of that series and you'll see how his play was a mess. But overall, the guy's been awesome, and a guy like Clemmer playing well for 22 games won't lead me, you or most other informed fans to somehow think that cheapens what Marty's done (there's been plenty of goalies who've had terrific short stretches who've never matched it...he's playing pretty well this year, but check out what Ty Conklin did for the Penguins last year).

But overall, the guy's been awesome, and a guy like Clemmer playing well for 22 games won't lead me, you or most other informed fans to somehow think that cheapens what Marty's done (there's been plenty of goalies who've had terrific short stretches who've never matched it...he's playing pretty well this year, but check out what Ty Conklin did for the Penguins last year).

Hit the nail on the head right there.