Niedermayer to Have His Number Retired Eventually

thefiestygoat

Why would Lou speak so well of Nieds in front of the papers?

Because Lou is the epitome of class. When's the last time he spoke badly of ANYONE to the press?

Why would Lou not complain or find some loophole where Scotty wouldn't be allowed to come back and play this season?

Because he's not stupid? For all we know, he could've looked at the CBA, determined there wasn't a loophole he could pound on, and decided not to say anything.

If Scott knew he was going to play with his brother all along, why did he wait to sign until every player of any real value (with the notable exception of Brian Rafalski) was off the market? Why didn't he sign with the Ducks immediately? Because he wanted to get back at Lou for their past contract negotiations by hanging him out to dry and he wanted to wrangle as much money out of the Ducks as possible.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Highly doubt he will get the crap booed out of him. :rolleyes: I do not think the Devils fans want to embarrass themselves tonight. There will be lots of cheers as he deserves what he accomplished here in New Jersey and very thankful he was a part of 13 years here in New Jersey.

If Scott knew he was going to play with his brother all along, why did he wait to sign until every player of any real value (with the notable exception of Brian Rafalski) was off the market? Why didn't he sign with the Ducks immediately? Because he wanted to get back at Lou for their past contract negotiations by hanging him out to dry and he wanted to wrangle as much money out of the Ducks as possible.
Edited by Triumph

This whole 'Neidermayer purposely scewed us' thing flying around here is really ridiculous. What did we miss out on exactly? Please, someone, name the AWESOME players we missed out on in the 3 days Neids made one of the BIGGEST decisions of his life and career? Why is everyone acting like Lou passed up on Bobby Orr in his prime because he was waiting for Scott?

And to the people who said 'you must play your whole career on one team to get your number retired", i suggest you bring scissors to the Rock and cut down that number '4' banner.

I'd like to see what happens if Marty hypothetically decided to play a season or 2 for another team when his contract ran out. Guess we'd have to paint over that mural in the arena.

I couldn't disagree with that statement more. While the younger fans might want to remember Nieds more for the way he left the team, I think the majority of the fans think of him in terms of all the great years of service he put in with the Devs.

I think the cheers will far outweight the boos tonight.

But I guess we'll find out in less than five hours.

As far as retiring his number goes, I hadn't considered it in a while, but I'm all for it.

Well I disagree for a bunch of reasons... but this is my own PERSONAL feelings here...

to have your number retired you need to END your career with the team, maybe there are some exceptions like Bourque who was traded by management in a move to get him his Cup and move the team along... or be someone who was symbolic of the team and someone who when you see that number you forever tie that players name to it FOREVER

he GAVE UP THAT RIGHT by walking away in Free Agency... period

You want to make a ring of honor (something so you can also honor the Brylin's and Lemieux-types and what they did for this frnachise... fine... but him in there... would be a nice place for maybe a Chico and Terreri too, guys that were good and relevant but not worthy of numbers in the rafters .... hell put Driver there too)

but if they have a retirement night... I think I'll sell my ticket to that one :P

MacLean just misses out of getting his banner raised and 22 shouldn't even be in consideration. While I think Mac's numbers are good enough, Elias is going to eclipse them. You might see MacLean once he leaves the organization for good, but not anytime soon.

Marty's should be the next one up, and since that wont happen for quite some time, I think the rest of these will take a back seat until #30 goes up.

Edit : I think the "Hall of Fame" idea is a good one. Allows the players who have made significant contributions to the team to get recognized without the ultimate honor of having a number retired.

I really don't understand all the Neidermayer hate. Yeah, he left under bad circumstances, but its pro sports. That stuff has a way of disappearing when compared to what he brought to the team.

Please tell me, if in 2013 when Marty's contract runs out, and he hypothetically decides to play a year or 2 on another team, does that somehow erase his legacy?

Johnny Mac signed with the Rangers. How come we don't hate him?

So Neids took his time making a difficult decision. Maybe it wasn't the most diplomatic way to handle the situation, but its not his fault Lou put all his eggs into one basket, either.