Niedermayer to Have His Number Retired Eventually

thefiestygoat

It would be more of a sham if Devils fans boo him tonight. Think about all he has done with this Devils team for 13 years. Two or three years with another team does not make him a bad player. He will always be remembered a New Jersey Devil! He deserves to be cheered not booed. His number 27 will be a well deserved retired number. The sham of it all is bitter fans not acknowledging him but instead booing him which is and will be embarrassing.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I disagree for a bunch of reasons... but this is my own PERSONAL feelings here...

to have your number retired you need to END your career with the team, maybe there are some exceptions like Bourque who was traded by management in a move to get him his Cup and move the team along... or be someone who was symbolic of the team and someone who when you see that number you forever tie that players name to it FOREVER

he GAVE UP THAT RIGHT by walking away in Free Agency... period

You want to make a ring of honor (something so you can also honor the Brylin's and Lemieux-types and what they did for this frnachise... fine... but him in there... would be a nice place for maybe a Chico and Terreri too, guys that were good and relevant but not worthy of numbers in the rafters .... hell put Driver there too)

but if they have a retirement night... I think I'll sell my ticket to that one :P

Niedermayer can stay in the league as long as his wheels hold up. I believe he's signed with Anaheim through 2008-2009. I can definitely see us trying to re sign him when he's 36. Hopefully he won't be trying to prop up his worthless brothers career by then.

I can't believe how many people are still hurt by him leaving. He left to play with his brother, it's not like he ditched us for our rivals to make more money like Gomez. Gomez is a rotten scumbag. Although I hated seeing Niedermayer leave us, he gained some respect from me when he turned down more money to play with his brother. How often do you see a pro athlete turning down more money these days?

And as for seeing him win the Cup in Anaheim...who the hell cares?! It's not like the Ducks are the Rangers or Flyers, they aren't even our rivals at all. The only connection we have with them is that we beat them in the Stanley Cup Finals, so I don't see what all the hate is about. They didn't even beat us, we were the ones who beat them.

I have a feeling he will get booed anyway tonight because people like to be bitter about everything.

I'm a Niedermayer supporter and wouldn't boo him. I did boo Gomez at the Rags game last week, but in Nieds' skates I would have done the same thing. Chance to win the Cup with my brother, after I've already won 3 with the team that drafted me? No brainer. I cheered for the Ducks in the Finals last year too. I also won't be able to forget his contribution to the 2002 Olympic gold medal. He was the best skater on the ice and the most dominant defenceman in the tournament (as also acknowledged by Mario). He just flew.

Niedermayer is going to get the crap booed out of him tonight and that's just fine with me...it's the nature of sports. When a beloved player goes to another team, you boo him when he comes back sporting a new jersey. Makes the game fun, injects some meaning into what otherwise would be a meaningless contest, etc, etc. Sure he may not deserve the wall of boos that will be coming at him but he shouldn't expect a standing O either. He's on the other team, so now he gets booed. No problem with that at all.

However, Niedermeyer most certainly deserves to get his number retired as a Devil. Despite his leaving for the West Coast, regardless of the reason, you can't ignore the contributions he made to this team. He's as much of a part of our history as Stevens or Dano and deserves this honor. If you're a season ticket holder and refuse to go to this game, fine. Throw your tickets on StubHub, make some cash on them and let someone else go. I for one am looking forward to being there when his number gets raised.

What a bunch of crap...if anyone deserves to have his number retired it would be a player who played his entire career with the team or someone still involved with the team...Driver is more reasonable than Niedermeyer...Brylin is more deserving...he has 3 Rings with this team...other than Marty who does???? Niedermeyer left to be with his little brother...crap I tell ya...he isn't worth a Devils uni anymore :rant:

I can't believe how many Niedermayer worshippers continue to intentionally miss the point. Yes, it sucks that he left, but that's not the real issue. The real issue is that he played Lou for a damn fool in the process. He somehow got Lou to offer the highest salary allowed under the CBA when he knew damn well he wasn't coming back, he was just using Lou to extract as much money as possible from the Ducks. Scott Niedermayer humiliated Lou Lamoriello in front of the entire league. Nobody f*cks with Lou that badly and gets away with it, not as far as I'm concerned. If you want to leave, fine, but don't take a dump on the franchise on your way out the door and expect us to like you for it.

I can't believe how many Niedermayer worshippers continue to intentionally miss the point. Yes, it sucks that he left, but that's not the real issue. The real issue is that he played Lou for a damn fool in the process. He somehow got Lou to offer the highest salary allowed under the CBA when he knew damn well he wasn't coming back, he was just using Lou to extract as much money as possible from the Ducks. Scott Niedermayer humiliated Lou Lamoriello in front of the entire league. Nobody f*cks with Lou that badly and gets away with it, not as far as I'm concerned. If you want to leave, fine, but don't take a dump on the franchise on your way out the door and expect us to like you for it.

It wouldn't be right if we didn't honor Scotty. He is as much of the 3 Championships as Stevens and probably more than Dano. There should be a large banner that extends over all 4 of our retired numbers (#3, #4, and soon #'s, 27 and 30, hell even #18) that says "The Core of the Championships" and honors what those players meant to an incredible team.

Edited by Triumph

I may be in a small minority who is annoyed at how he left and also won't be upset if his number is retired. I think he showed disrespect to Lou by the way he left but he also had a lot of years where he played fantastic hockey for the Devils. For my money I probably would not retire his number but then again I would just have Stevens and Marty's numbers retired and leave it at that so I'm stricter than the organization is.

Niedermayer is going to get the crap booed out of him tonight and that's just fine with me...it's the nature of sports. When a beloved player goes to another team, you boo him when he comes back sporting a new jersey. Makes the game fun, injects some meaning into what otherwise would be a meaningless contest, etc, etc. Sure he may not deserve the wall of boos that will be coming at him but he shouldn't expect a standing O either. He's on the other team, so now he gets booed. No problem with that at all.

However, Niedermeyer most certainly deserves to get his number retired as a Devil. Despite his leaving for the West Coast, regardless of the reason, you can't ignore the contributions he made to this team. He's as much of a part of our history as Stevens or Dano and deserves this honor. If you're a season ticket holder and refuse to go to this game, fine. Throw your tickets on StubHub, make some cash on them and let someone else go. I for one am looking forward to being there when his number gets raised.

Highly doubt he will get the crap booed out of him. :rolleyes: I do not think the Devils fans want to embarrass themselves tonight. There will be lots of cheers as he deserves what he accomplished here in New Jersey and very thankful he was a part of 13 years here in New Jersey.

It wouldn't be right if we didn't honor Scotty. He is as much of the 3 Championships as Stevens and probably more than Dano. There should be a large banner that extends over all 4 of our retired numbers (#3, #4, and soon #'s, 27 and 30, hell even #18) that says "The Core of the Championships" and honors what those players meant to an incredible team.

Why would Lou speak so well of Nieds in front of the papers? Why would Lou not complain or find some loophole where Scotty wouldn't be allowed to come back and play this season?

That's what Lou would do if he were truly annoyed.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.....I have no problem with Nieds and would take him back in a minute.

However, to have your number retired you need to play your entire career with the same team! Your heart needs to be with the team and not your wallet. They need to play for the logon on the front of the jersey....not the name on the back. My opinion is he lost his right to retire his number in Jersey when he bolted for the left coast.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.....I have no problem with Nieds and would take him back in a minute.

However, to have your number retired you need to play your entire career with the same team! Your heart needs to be with the team and not your wallet. They need to play for the logo on the front of the jersey....not the name on the back. My opinion is he lost his right to retire his number in Jersey when he bolted for the left coast.

However, to have your number retired you need to play your entire career with the same team! Your heart needs to be with the team and not your wallet. They need to play for the logon on the front of the jersey....not the name on the back. My opinion is he lost his right to retire his number in Jersey when he bolted for the left coast.