Niedermayer to Have His Number Retired Eventually

thefiestygoat

I agree that Lou should definitely get a banner, I hope whoever takes over after him sees that this happens. Lou is the most important figure in Devils history imo. I would also love to see Doc and Chico get some sort of honor for their work. I can go either way on the Brylin thing. I would like to see his number retired but if it isn't I will be understanding of that decision.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't "let" him? Please. I believe that he is really an easily manipulated child but I do not believe that for a second. It makes a joke of the NHL and it isn't like the league needs any more of that. You have a contract. You either play or not play. The CBA has a rule that prevents players from holding out for more money so they obviously considered this. Any respect I had for Mama's Boy, which was not much, disappeared after that stunt.

And for all you "It's a business!" people. Yes, it is a business and when a business does something you don't like you don't cheer them! If you have problems with a Verizon CS agent you don't write a letter telling them how great they are! No, you complain. In sports customers complain by booing. Anyone who cheered him has no self respect.

Right and those rumors need to be put to rest about Niedermayer. It is a business guys and Niedermayer chose family and LESS money to play hockey with his brother. Nothing wrong with that and he did nothing wrong to Lou therefore all the good things Lou is saying about Niedermayer who deserves his number to be retired. Lou is not bitter but some Devils fans with this bad rumor still seem bitter. Time to let it go and get over it already.

Again, NO, He shouldn't be booed for leaving NJ, but after the fiasco this "retirement" summer, lots of people lost respect for him - for what he is doing to the league, the sport, and the players around him. Sometimes you've gotta take into account things that effect the sport of hockey "beyond" the Devils as a team.

Again, NO, He shouldn't be booed for leaving NJ, but after the fiasco this "retirement" summer, lots of people lost respect for him - for what he is doing to the league, the sport, and the players around him. Sometimes you've gotta take into account things that effect the sport of hockey "beyond" the Devils as a team.

That has nothing to do with him getting booed last night because it has nothing to do with the Devils. With that logic, he would be getting booed just as bad in every single away game, which is obviously not the case.

It's well deserved. Congratulations to Nieds. But first Marty's #30 goes up and then sometime much later #27 follows. This won't happen for another 15 to 20 years.

For what Marty's done, it should be called "The Brodeur Arena". and the address changed to 30 Vezina Way.

Maybe we can honor Doc and Chico with a bobblehead night like the Rangers did with Sam and JD a few years ago and Chicos bobblehead could be holding a hot dog

Actually, you could have a series of Chico bobbles...one with a hot dog, one with nachos....etc.... I think these could be a big hit... :noclue:

God, is it too late for an opinion on this thread? LOL!

#27 in the rafters ... don't like it. This was not a great player for us. Very good, not great. Forget all the free agent drama. Means nothing to me. For me, it's about performance, and Scott Niedermayer was a cut below. If we want to cheapen the retirement of numbers, then by all means, #27 to the rafters. Might as well copy the Rangers, I guess.

I think some people here look at the defensemen we have now and are prepared to build #27 a shrine. It's a little much.

Agree with you 100%. For everybody who thinks Niedermayer was so great with the Devils, you're not looking closely enough. The guy had a tremendous amount of skill, was an important component of the Devils success, but there is no way in hell that he played up to his potential during his time here. 03 was the first season imo where he really started becoming a number one guy and he was great in the playoffs. In 04, he truly deserved the Norris. Personally, it wasn't until these years that I really started truly appreciating Niedermayer as a Devils fan. Prior to that he always was just another piece of the puzzle and seemed to be going through the motions a lot of the time.

I just don't understand the love affair with this guy. Sh*t I even have a Niedermayer jersey myself, but I just can't see how #27 goes up. I wouldn't be mad if it did however, but it is the Biggest honor a team can give to a player. Honestly as a fan, I thought the nights #4 and #3 were retired were two of the best moments I ever experienced as a fan. I could honestly rank it up there with the 3 Cups as well. It really meant that much. I just cant see #27 getting the same honor. And if he did get that honor, MacLean has got to be up there as well.

The way I see it, there is Stevens, Daneyko, Brodeur and then everybody else.

Edited by SickMan

what are you rambling about? i guess your credence for this theory is the ducks players not welcoming him back with open arms.

Sorry Beetle,

umm....

Fire Sutter...he's in over his head.

Gionta wants the devils to fail....that's why he doen't try

Are you happy now?

Or is anyone that doesn't agree with your broken logic, and "3 word flash points" just a dope???

Then ask yourself why so many people here have you on "ignore". :blahblah:

Edited by DevilinLA

Sorry Beetle,

umm....

Fire Sutter...he's in over his head.

Gionta wants the devils to fail....that's why he doen't try

Are you happy now?

Or is anyone that doesn't agree with your broken logic, and "3 word flash points" just a dope???

Then ask yourself why so many people here have you on "ignore". :blahblah:

where are these imaginary people?

where are these imaginary people?

Hint: Try actually reading other peoples' posts.

OR should I simply bring up the small army of board members calling for you to be banned that time you decided to start your own Ecklund Trade thread here.

Regardless, I'm gonna take a cue from some of the more senior members here and bow out of these little head-on-head battles and ignore you like the rest.

Agree with you 100%. For everybody who thinks Niedermayer was so great with the Devils, you're not looking closely enough. The guy had a tremendous amount of skill, was an important component of the Devils success, but there is no way in hell that he played up to his potential during his time here. 03 was the first season imo where he really started becoming a number one guy and he was great in the playoffs. In 04, he truly deserved the Norris. Personally, it wasn't until these years that I really started truly appreciating Niedermayer as a Devils fan. Prior to that he always was just another piece of the puzzle and seemed to be going through the motions a lot of the time.

I just don't understand the love affair with this guy. Sh*t I even have a Niedermayer jersey myself, but I just can't see how #27 goes up. I wouldn't be mad if it did however, but it is the Biggest honor a team can give to a player. Honestly as a fan, I thought the nights #4 and #3 were retired were two of the best moments I ever experienced as a fan. I could honestly rank it up there with the 3 Cups as well. It really meant that much. I just cant see #27 getting the same honor. And if he did get that honor, MacLean has got to be up there as well.

The way I see it, there is Stevens, Daneyko, Brodeur and then everybody else.

It's funny, when I went to the game last night (against Carolina) I asked my friend, who has followed the NHL more closely than me the past few years, I asked him if he thought that Neidermeyer's jersey would ever be retired. I thought maybe, he said definitely not.

And I don't think you can really blame Scott for leaving, I mean he wanted to play with his brother, you can't really fault him for that.

My opinion, the bad DEFINITELY outweighs the good in this situation. Needmybrother should NEVER have his number retired here, end of story, regardless of contribution.

Regardless of contribution? Soo if Marty (Brodeur) left NJ towards the end of his career (which I think he might do) you would say he shouldn't have his number retired..? You probably just mean the fact that he signed with another team, but contribution to the team is WHY the number is retired in the 1st place.. Just b/c he wanted to play with his brother at the end of his career doesn't exactly make him a traitor like Gomez is.. I think him winning the Cup with the Ducks just inflates it more that he will be remembered as a Duck which WONT happen (the guy won 3 cups here!), but Nieds will always be remembered as a Devil and not as a Duck.

Edited by nmigliore

Gulitti said that Lou made similar claims about John MacLean in the past.

It's entirely possible that if a Niedermayer jersey does go up into the rafters, Lou will not be the general manager of the team when it happens.

didn't johnny mac get traded because he had a fight with lemaire over his diminishing role on the team? apples and oranges the two situations.