I told you about Gomez in "Penthouse"...

KitKatTGM

...the "New Yorker", March 15, 2004.

There's a story on page 66 about Igor going to see the movie "Miracle". His comments at the end were interesting:

"I wish the guys in Hollywood had spent more time, maybe even just five minutes, to show the Russian side of the story. They should have showed a little bit of what happened inside the Soviet camp. But I know American movies are always like that."

Do you agree?

Warning: There's a guy in a wedding dress on the cover! :blink:

Yeah, I think so. The world is not as simple as it used to be. A lot of players on that team left Russia to play in the NHL. Slava Fetisov, Sergei Starikov and Igor, Larionov to name a few. Now they get to see a movie where they are presented as faceless villians (I didn't see the movie yet, so I'm just assuming here) and there are a lot of other Russians living here that could be alienated.

Remember that this is a very painful memory for them. They were hated by their country for losing that game. Put yourself in their shoes.

...the "New Yorker", March 15, 2004.

There's a story on page 66 about Igor going to see the movie "Miracle". His comments at the end were interesting:

"I wish the guys in Hollywood had spent more time, maybe even just five minutes, to show the Russian side of the story. They should have showed a little bit of what happened inside the Soviet camp. But I know American movies are always like that."

Do you agree?

Agree to that instance or that "American movies are always like that."?

Edit: Hmm... on second thought, I wont go there. Had that discussion before and it always gets political

Edited by Swede

Disney movies are always like that.

Larionov is probably not the world's greatest cinema enthusiast. He associates Disney / Hollywood movies with the whole of American celluloid. A lot of people do that. We should cut him a little slack, yeah?

[edit] Yes, it would've been cool to catch a glimpse into the Russian camp.

Edited by Nature's Minister

Its true, they made it look as if American camps worked their asses off and these Russians are just talented and expected to win. The Russians were all probably in the russian military and what they went through was much much worse then some silly camp where they got skated alot.

actually jason, the hockey athletes in russia were treated more like college basketball players in big d-1 schools. they were in the army only in name. these guys were playing hockey from the time they were 5 and were always segregated from the rest of the people their age. if you want to feel bad for someone, feel bad for the russians that WEREN'T good hockey players.

with regards to how the soviets took it after the loss, they went back to russia and were honestly ashamed of what had happened. the USSR was also disappointed in them, but more out of shock than anger (at least from the countrymen. the government was enraged). the best place to get the full story is actually the HBO special on the Miracle on Ice.

also, for the record, Igor was too young (!) to play on the 1980 Russian team. Russians from that team that played in the NHL: Fetisov, Kasatonov for sure. I'm not positive if Starikov was on the 80 russia team, though

actually jason, the hockey athletes in russia were treated more like college basketball players in big d-1 schools. they were in the army only in name. these guys were playing hockey from the time they were 5 and were always segregated from the rest of the people their age. if you want to feel bad for someone, feel bad for the russians that WEREN'T good hockey players.

with regards to how the soviets took it after the loss, they went back to russia and were honestly ashamed of what had happened. the USSR was also disappointed in them, but more out of shock than anger (at least from the countrymen. the government was enraged). the best place to get the full story is actually the HBO special on the Miracle on Ice.

also, for the record, Igor was too young (!) to play on the 1980 Russian team. Russians from that team that played in the NHL: Fetisov, Kasatonov for sure. I'm not positive if Starikov was on the 80 russia team, though

Didn't Krutov play some games for Vancouver?

He ended up playing 3rd division hockey in sweden later on. Enjoyed the free life too much (especially hamburgers :lol: )

Krutov played for Vancouver a couple of years, and Sergei Makarov played for almost 15 years in the NHL, IIRC. He also won the Calder for Calgary, which partly led to the age limit for Calder eligible players.

...and Swede, for the record, I heard it was hot dogs that killed Krutov's career, not hamburgers. :lol:

Some trivia: did anyone know that Vladislav Tretyak was drafted by Montreal? He never played there, though. Three of the players from the 1980 US vs USSR game won the Stanley Cup, can anybody name them? (Two had Devils connections). B)

Larionov should lighten up.

This movie is about the U.S. team...PERIOD.

If we're going to try to tell the Russian story as well, why not throw in the Finns, the Swedes, the Czechs, etc.?

Yeah, that'd be great. I'd love to sit through an eight-hour movie.

:rolleyes:

Disney movies are always like that.

Larionov is probably not the world's greatest cinema enthusiast. He associates Disney / Hollywood movies with the whole of American celluloid. A lot of people do that. We should cut him a little slack, yeah?

[edit] Yes, it would've been cool to catch a glimpse into the Russian camp.

Yeah I'll cut the guy some slack after he shoots the freakin puck!

I think Igor was light enough about it. In my mind the US only looks better if they show a multi-dementional Russian team - but probably in the interest of time they didn't bother.

No doubt it was good guys vs good guys at least -- who knows what ended up on the cutting room floor?