Clark MaCarthur

Blown01NJ

I really cant believe he got suspended for this, but i understand Shanahan is really trying to send a message in preseason to try to get it implanted in the players' minds about head shots. Abdelkader definitely make that look a lot worse and McArthur didnt even make an effort to go for the head.

Shanny is pretty clear about why it's a suspension. Not sure what the outcry is all about.

i don't like this suspension at all

I understand their reasoning but at the rate their going in a few year it will be illegal to hit anyone.

Edited by Dadds

i don't like this suspension at all

I understand their reasoning but at the rate their going in a few year it will be illegal to hit anyone.

They talked about this on NPR the other day. It seems like they are working their way to not allowing many hits in the future. Fighting is still a big issue as well.

http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=140959777&m=140963013

for sure now Subban is going to drive his head in everyone's shoulder... you watch

great, he'll end up with concussions and will constantly be out of the lineup. you can't draw a suspension on another player, and it'd be really stupid to try to do so anyway (at least in the regular season).

I'm really not liking the rule change on hits to the head. I agree that blindside hits that target the head are dangerous and the game is better without them, but I liked how last season the rule still allowed for a north-south hit since the onus is on the player with the puck to keep his head up and protect himself. This is going to lead the NHL down a road where players no longer will worry about getting drilled if they don't keep their head up and where taller guys get suspended repeatedly because of hits they deliver on shorter players.

I'm all for protecting the defenseless player from being hit from his blindside or when he's in a compromising position, but taking away all hits to the head is silly. Even though this rule is only for hits that "target the head or where the head is the principle point of contact", it's pretty difficult to determine if a player targeted the head sometimes and this rule is going to unfairly punish guys who are big hitters when they get suspended and are from then on out considered repeat offenders.

I'm really not liking the rule change on hits to the head. I agree that blindside hits that target the head are dangerous and the game is better without them, but I liked how last season the rule still allowed for a north-south hit since the onus is on the player with the puck to keep his head up and protect himself. This is going to lead the NHL down a road where players no longer will worry about getting drilled if they don't keep their head up

ben smith's concussion doesn't go away just because the guy got suspended.

I'm all for protecting the defenseless player from being hit from his blindside or when he's in a compromising position, but taking away all hits to the head is silly. Even though this rule is only for hits that "target the head or where the head is the principle point of contact", it's pretty difficult to determine if a player targeted the head sometimes and this rule is going to unfairly punish guys who are big hitters when they get suspended and are from then on out considered repeat offenders.

the league is looking to protect the players. what the league is saying is that you can't just skate across the ice and lay a guy out and as long as you don't get the elbows up, that hit is fine. you can make a phenomenal hockey team out of players who were forced to retire because of concussions (lindros, lafontaine, s. stevens, m. savard, more will come to me). it's a shame that the center ice hit will be more difficult to make, but it's a very dangerous play to both parties.

Edited by Triumph

I think that the rule is badly worded, but Shanny's application is very clear: whatever the guy laying the hit wanted to do, if he cleanly hits the head and nothing else, then Shanny will suspend them. (What I don't like is the word "targets" which suggests intent, versus "impacts" which says even accidental contact is illegal and suspendable.) So I think Shanny reads "targets" and thinks "impacts".

In the pre-season video explaining what's allowed and what is not tolerated, they were very clear that NHL is a contact sport and it will stay like that. The examples of legal hits clearly show you can wipe out the opponent to a point where he is really shaken up, but you need to have simultaneous contact with the body as well. I personally think that this is fine, because the body and head take the same impact, rather than just the head whipping round. If the alternative is to have players out for seasons at a time with concussion, then this is a sensible rule.

Edited by AlienDev

I'm just worried that this will make players who might normally have gone for the body on a certain play, decide not to and because of it, make a less preferable play solely because he is concerned that he MIGHT impact that head and be suspended. It's going to happen sometimes where a guy gets hit in the head, especially when you have a taller guy hitting a smaller guy. I think that as long as the player isn't trying to hit the other player in the head, that if when he goes for a hit, that he happens to impact the head, it's a hockey play and should be allowed.