DEVILS DILEMA?

DINO

You can't really blame Lou for this year. He just didn't have the chips to really play around with at the deadline, and Lou didn't want to mess around too much with so much uncertainty around next season. That being said, I think people have to realize that the Flyers are beating the Devils in every way they weren't supposed to (aside from their PP). You have to give them credit. Who would've thought that Esche was going to outplay Brodeur SO badly, and that outside of game 3 the Flyers PK has been great. In fact, the Flyers have looked pretty Devilish in this series. It was supposed to be the defending champs who would find ways to score goals at opportune times but that key element has gone the Flyers. I haven't seen Philly dominating us physically really being a key in any of their wins. It has been their play from the goal out that has beat the Devils. Sometimes you just have to tip your cap to your opponent for beating you at your own game. The Flyers have been playing Devils hockey. I can't wait to see the Philly fans make it out like I'm insulting them.

The Flyers core is getting old, so Clarke has to make the move necessary to make a move NOW!

The Devils core players are mostly still young, so while we may have had a better chance at an extended run with a few moves, the desperation of getting done this year was not there.

I think both GMs did what they needed to do. At some point, we need to reload, and I'm still happy that Lou held onto all of our prospects and our 1st rd pick this year. If 2 out of Parise, Suglobov & Foster turn into legitimate top 2 line forwards, we are right back to where we were in 2000-01.

(N)(N)Єverson, (N)(N)Єverson, (N)(N)Єverson. Even the blind squirel.....

He has no crediblity as a Devils writer. He covers NJ begrudingly while dreaming about Larry Brooks falling prey to some fatal Zamboni mishap so he can get his coveted Ranger beat writer post (MSG has better hot dogs and food court).

Blasting Lou for not trading Parise or any other prospect for a rental is just silly.

The players mentioned that Clarke acquired are not playing very well.

The Devils have dominated most play while Primeau, Kim Johnsson and Robert Esche have been the only players keeping the Flyers ahead right now.

Spare me this articles stupidity.

(N)Єverson makes some good points.

I personally feel the Lou let this team & it's fans down by not getting more help, maybe. However money is a big consideration Devils are hurting financially. They have a new owner either there or in the wings. The new owner probably wrote off whatever he could do because he couldn't put his stamp on it. He's waiting for the new (if ever) arena. Then there is the lockout to deal with. Then there is the lack of offensive talent on this team that says even with help it couldn't have gone far. Then the injuries. So just maybe Lou said "won't happen" so don't do much.

Lou should share some blame how much is questionable.

I just can't believe any fan of this team can think like this. All the things Lou does and all the joy we've had as a result and it's not enough.

He knows what he's doing. We've got a top-notch talent team at a relatively inexpensive price. There are also all price levels and all ages in there.

He keeps us in good shape. He can't do much about bounces or weariness or luck or whatever it is that is keeping the fact that we're outplaying another team from leading this series.

I will never blame Lou. NEVER.

I think it was brilliant how he got Hrdina. I hope we get to see a full season with him real soon.

It is a no-brainer between Lou and Clarke. Discussing it is pointless. Based on track record alone one is in the majors and the other is riding the bench in the minors.

(N)Єverson is wrong on so many levels it boggles the mind. If you believe the rumors, a lot of teams wanted Parise. Unless you are getting Sakic then no deal. (I am not saying he is that good but you know what I mean).

Lou always has an eye on the future and the makeup of his core group. It has gotten us 3 cups so far and in position for a couple more in the future.

I know that Stevens is not replaceable but one decent dman at the deadline would have helped this team out. But I don't know what was out there without overpaying.

Well, the facts are facts, Clarke went out and got solid players. Look at that team, they don't really have weaknesses. Devils are trying their best and won only 1 of 4 games so far. When was the last time Devils actually brought their 'A' game into playoffs were being outplayed? And don't give Stevens excuse. Flyers are missing Desjardins, not Stevens calibre but good D-man, nonetheless. Yes, maybe Lou got held up for Parise, we don't know what happened behind the scenes, but Lou had to have some sort of Plan B or Plan C or Plan D (like in "D") for that matter and he didn't come up with anything.

Lou has been a great GM for the Devils. However, if you are unsure that a player of Scott Steven's caliber may or may not return, you need to get someone to help in the mean time. No one can expect anyone on the team to fill his role. Niedermayer has done a great job but I think it's starting to wear on him playing close to 30 minutes a game. The inexperience and lack of a physical d-man is being exposed in this series. It will cost you the series.

SW - even if the Flyers make it out of the series, they have a long way to go. The only possible positive outcome for that team is hoisting the cup. If you do not, you are no different than any of Bobby Clarke's last 10 failures. You are also faced with 2 things:

1) The impending CBA. A two fold screwjob for you, as you will have $1 billion in player salaries you'll need to figure out how to dump. The second part is that while everyone sits around for player rep schmucks like the "underpaid" Bryan McCabe to come to a sense of reason, your old team gets older.

2) Which brings me to my second point. If you don't win this year, you have a whole lot of old guys who just got older. One more year. More chance for injuries, trades, you never know.

Clarke rolled the dice big-time on this one. He does this every year, which is why Philadelphia and New York compete perenially for the "Most New W-4s Award." Lou will roll the dice, but never with the entire future of the franchise. Next year, we have 3 or 4 guys of extreme promise coming up. What do you have? An older, more-metal-plated Jeremy Roenick.