Which Defenseman(men) Ae Getting Traded?

Daniel

this is simply crazy talk. he is the best defenseman the devils have. his contract is a good one.

i simply hate that we have to have this discussion because of this ludicrous signing but it happened and we're here.

i agree that volchenkov makes the most sense to move but there are several issues with that:

1) his NTC. i'm not convinced he'd waive it to go anywhere besides ottawa, NYR - neither teams that need him.

2) he doesn't have great value. that's not to say that he is a poor player and his contract is bad per se. he's not and it's not. but there aren't a lot of teams that would take it and him.

3) this is a negative to kovalchuk. they are close and you'd be taking the one russian on the team away from him.

i think it's greene that will go. he will bring the most back in trade. again, its unfortunate that we're at this point but oh well.

If Zach comes back, Greener isn't going anywhere. They're best of friends. Zach is close to him & Trav.

The problem is that both Greene and Tallinder are severely undervalued by the NHL at large. Both were free agents, both signed with New Jersey, and both have outplayed their contracts. But people don't really know that.

Edmonton has got too many forwards, not enough defense, and a clueless GM. Problem is, clueless GMs like pointszzz or toughness - besides Volchenkov, I don't see an attractive trade out there, and I don't know if Volchenkov would waive his NTC. I really want Paajarvi, Hemsky, or Gagner - I just don't see a trade there, unless it was Hemsky for Volchenkov straight up or something similar. That would be a pretty great deal for NJ.

Anyone think maybe if this EDM deal is a possibility, Lou tries to get an extra dman out of there as well? like a sutton or even a potter to bide time while fayne is out? then bump them to 7th dman status when he's back? or just roll with the 6 we have and a call up...

The reason I choose Greene was he did get a lot of airtime during the playoffs. I definitely think something can get done with Edmonton. I do see them moving Gagner for a defender... Why not NJ? Why not Greene?

Because he was just available for free. Now he's worth Sam Gagner?

There's talk of them making a much bigger move, which would make sense for them - clear out 2 forward prospects and get a big name.

There's talk of them making a much bigger move, which would make sense for them - clear out 2 forward prospects and get a big name.

Just to clarify, you mean EDM not NJ on this bigger move right? (no sarcasm intended just making sure I read that correctly)

Not like it never happens...

Ideally, Volchy gets traded, but not that likely with NTC. The most tradeable guy is Greene, which is too bad, because he's very valuable to us.

I wish volchenkov would just do what he was hired to do.

you mean not play injured? A-train has been injury prone his whole career... The fact that he was on the ice in the playoffs is sentiment to the heart of hockey players in general. People don't understand what he brings to the team blocking shots and roughing up the opponent. Yes, he was a fraction of himself out there playing with no legs and all. Go ask Ray Emery what he thinks of Anton Volchenkov. He's made some serious cash because of the train.

you mean not play injured? A-train has been injury prone his whole career... The fact that he was on the ice in the playoffs is sentiment to the heart of hockey players in general. People don't understand what he brings to the team blocking shots and roughing up the opponent. Yes, he was a fraction of himself out there playing with no legs and all. Go ask Ray Emery what he thinks of Anton Volchenkov. He's made some serious cash because of the train.

Train's style of play isn't a fit with Marty though. Marty isn't big into having dmen block shots. That's why the Volch signing was kind of curious for me when it happened since shot blocking is one of Volch's specialties.

Trade Tallinder? Yeah, let's trade the guy who was out for 5 months and came back in the playoffs without missing a beat. Let's trade the guy who gets good value for his contract and mentors the #4th overall pick.

Edmonton has got too many forwards, not enough defense, and a clueless GM. Problem is, clueless GMs like pointszzz or toughness - besides Volchenkov, I don't see an attractive trade out there, and I don't know if Volchenkov would waive his NTC. I really want Paajarvi, Hemsky, or Gagner - I just don't see a trade there, unless it was Hemsky for Volchenkov straight up or something similar. That would be a pretty great deal for NJ.

*drool*

Respectfully, this would be the worst trade in the history of the world.

For us? We have 8 D competing for 6 spots. Urbom is expendable because we have Gelinas and Merrill waiting in the pipelines and who knows whether or not we'd have to throw in a 2nd? Hemsky, when healthy is a really slick player who I believe would really excell in the East

For us? We have 8 D competing for 6 spots. Urbom is expendable because we have Gelinas and Merrill waiting in the pipelines and who knows whether or not we'd have to throw in a 2nd? Hemsky, when healthy is a really slick player who I believe would really excell in the East

If you think trading away three players for a guy who will guaranteed only play half a season, then I guess it's a good idea.