Jays' Delgado refuses to stand

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But remember, constant reminders of 9/11 are an essential tool of the right. 

God damn it, why do they always play those WW2 documentaries on the History Channel, damn it, if I see "Hitler's Henchmen" one more time i'm throwning my TV out the window....

I can't believe I'm taking the time to explain this to you...

When you're sitting around on your couch at home, you have the choice to change the channel and get away from the History Channel or whatever other programming you don't want to see. Since it's in the privacy of your own home, no one's going to know or care.

However, if you're Carlos Delgado, you spend every night doing your job in front of 20,000 people at a ballpark and who knows how many others at home and at bars watching on TV. Everything you do -- flub an easy ground ball, strike out looking with the bases loaded, refuse to stand for an unneeded display of patriotism and refusal to get on with our lives during the 7th inning stretch -- is magnified and criticized.

The actions of Joe Q. Public at home and the actions of a professional athlete on the job cannot be compared because they're two completely different arenas (no pun intended).

why do they have to constantly remind us of the Holocaust, Aushwitz, Zyklon B.....man, i hope they stop showing those things or people might acctually figure out that you should learn from history so you won't be doomed to repeat it's mistakes... :rolleyes: ...

Learn from what mistakes? Building a couple of skyscrapers so high that they become inviting targets for anyone who wants to attack America? Yeah, let's not do that again. :rolleyes:

Or perhaps you mean the mistake of screwing around where we don't belong and creating a situation where entire nations and/or religious factions would like nothing better than to see us wiped off the face of the planet. If that's the case then yes, I agree with you, let's not make THAT mistake ever again.

ooops, Sorry Godwin... :argh:

Would you can it already?

Without them, the right can't whip us into a patriotic frenzy so that we lose all rational thought and end up doing exactly as the Bush administration orders us to do.

hmmmmm... it's almost TOO easy :uni:

Go ahead, I'd love to see it. You've done an excellent job of making an ass out of yourself lately. I can't wait to see how you'll handle this one.

You guys are unbelievable! Do you really think that protesting the war by not standing through a song (which I never stand during either) out of protest of the war is the same as hating the country and hating america.

The whole "everybody hates america whining" needs to stop, it is just patetic. :angry:

However, if you're Carlos Delgado, you spend every night doing your job in front of 20,000 people at a ballpark and who knows how many others at home and at bars watching on TV. Everything you do -- flub an easy ground ball, strike out looking with the bases loaded, refuse to stand for an unneeded display of patriotism and refusal to get on with our lives during the 7th inning stretch -- is magnified and criticized.

:cryriver: He is a MLB baseball player and he gets paid millions he should learn to deal with it.

no country or terrorist organization wants to waste a perfectly good bomb on you guys cause Canada stands for nothing good and decent in the world...

I get called anti-American for dispising the Bush administration, but this gets a free pass.

What group HASN'T TK gotten on yet...let's see Muslims are no good, blacks are criminals, Canadians are useless, what am I leaving out :P

The poor... they are lazy!

You guys are unbelievable! Do you really think that protesting the war by not standing through a song (which I never stand during either) out of protest of the war is the same as hating the country and hating america.

The whole "everybody hates america whining" needs to stop, it is just patetic. :angry:

It's his choice as you pointed out. But by not acknowledging it, he's going to be subject to criticism. Something Delgado understood after the game was over the other day:

Delgado, who has drawn attention for refusing to stand during ``God Bless America,'' was booed mildly when he walked to the plate for his first three at-bats. He was booed more loudly when he ran to his position after a recording of the song was played during the seventh-inning stretch and again when he hit in the ninth, with some fans chanting ``U-S-A!'' Delgado wasn't surprised. ``Not at all, one thing about New York is that they are passionate. You know what they like and don't like.''

Some posters have taken unnecessary shots at the venues for playing that one minute Kate Smith "God Bless America" rendition. So, I guess 9/11 is forgotten just like that right :rolleyes: ? What's wrong with taking a minute to remember the tragic events of that day? It happened to us. Many innocent lives were lost. I'm just thankful that I didn't know anyone personally. A lot of people weren't as fortunate :( .

People just want to forget what happened. But you can't turn your back on things and take it for granted anymore. Paying respects with a moment to reflect is not so bad. This is a great country. The best in the world. How about how that day affected all the men and women that serve our country as well? They had to go back to war and sacrifice their lives for a cause. Those are the people that deserve the respect of this country.

All we ever hear about from even our own people that we're wrong. That we shouldn't do this and do that. What's wrong with having a little patriotism? It's only okay when people use their rights to protest things and create controversies. But what about showing some support? That's not okay in "your world." It's always got to be warped. Even if I don't agree entirely with The Bush Administration, I can at least respect what those people are doing everyday overseas. Compared to them, we have it easy. Some people seem to have forgotten that.

Who said that not standing is protesting anything????

Some posters have taken unnecessary shots at the venues for playing that one minute Kate Smith "God Bless America" rendition. So, I guess 9/11 is forgotten just like that right :rolleyes: ? What's wrong with taking a minute to remember the tragic events of that day? It happened to us. Many innocent lives were lost. I'm just thankful that I didn't know anyone personally. A lot of people weren't as fortunate :( .

Hey Derek...play this scenario...a person you were very close to was killed in a tragic manner....would you like to be constantly reminded by it? Would you like to have it constantly replay either in your head or in some other form?? If not, then you just don't understand. People who have seen people die in front of them or never have them return from going overseas (whatever the reason) do not particularly care for having it thrown at them constantly???? My father was in the South Pacific during WWII...he refused to watch any war movie involving the SP arena...my mom was on Normandy Beach on D-Day at 6 hrs+ and was lucky enough to return...her fiance wasn't so lucky (she met my dad post WWII in NJ)...she didn't want to talk about WWII and refused to watch European theatre war movies...same applies to all my friends and relatives who were lucky enough to return from Viet Nam...they don't require any reminder to be patriotic...I and friends have lost many during Viet Nam, Laos, Cambodia, Kosovo, Gulf War and 9/11...if you think I forgot any of them because I refuse to stand then it is your perogative...btw...a lot of vets post WWII are very angry with their country although they would defend it still.

Edited by StarDew

Hey Derek...play this scenario...a person you were very close to was killed in a tragic manner....would you like to be constantly reminded by it?  Would you like to have it constantly replay either in your head or in some other form??  If not, then you just don't understand.  People who have seen people die in front of them or never have them return from going overseas (whatever the reason) do not particularly care for having it thrown at them constantly???? My father was in the South Pacific during WWII...he refused to watch any war movie involving the SP arena...my mom was on Normandy Beach on D-Day at 6 hrs+ and was lucky enough to return...her fiance wasn't so lucky (she met my dad post WWII in NJ)...she didn't want to talk about WWII and refused to watch European theatre war movies...same applies to all my friends and relatives who were lucky enough to return from Viet Nam...they don't require any reminder to be patriotic...I have lost many during Viet Nam, Gulf War and 9/11...if you think I forgot any of them because I refuse to stand then it is your perogative...btw...a lot of vets post WWII are very angry with their country although they would defend it still.

Dew, very good picture you drew up. I can't disagree with any of that. Sorry to hear about your losses.

There's just one thing I think about. When people are at a game and they ask the fans to stand for that minute, don't you think the ones that don't are going to draw attention to themselves? It's not the same thing as an individual that doesn't take off their hat during the playing of our national anthem. I have seen people do that and they usually get yelled at.

Hey Derek...play this scenario...a person you were very close to was killed in a tragic manner....would you like to be constantly reminded by it? Would you like to have it constantly replay either in your head or in some other form?? If not, then you just don't understand. People who have seen people die in front of them or never have them return from going overseas (whatever the reason) do not particularly care for having it thrown at them constantly???? My father was in the South Pacific during WWII...he refused to watch any war movie involving the SP arena...my mom was on Normandy Beach on D-Day at 6 hrs+ and was lucky enough to return...her fiance wasn't so lucky (she met my dad post WWII in NJ)...she didn't want to talk about WWII and refused to watch European theatre war movies...same applies to all my friends and relatives who were lucky enough to return from Viet Nam...they don't require any reminder to be patriotic...I and friends have lost many during Viet Nam, Laos, Cambodia, Kosovo, Gulf War and 9/11...if you think I forgot any of them because I refuse to stand then it is your perogative...btw...a lot of vets post WWII are very angry with their country although they would defend it still.

Not true. I know people who died on 9/11 and my friends had family members die. We have talked about this before and none of us consider the playing of God Bless America as something where we are getting it constantly thrown in our face that our friends and family members are gone. I didn't realize that you spoke for everyone in America.

See this is the problem...it is called assumption...the ppl that do the yelling are assuming the reason for not standing...some choose not to...some are too grieved to and some just physically cannot...who is anyone to label anyone else for not standing...mine is usually choice but there are times when I physically cannot...like I said...problem is assuming one reason for all...that cannot be done in any scenario in life.

You're correct here. Assumption is wrong. But tensions are higher than they were before that fateful day. Things have changed. As much as I don't like saying it, nothing will ever be the same after what happened.

I'm not one of those people that will yell at another person for what they do or don't do. Not my way. You choose what you want to do in life here.

I can't believe I'm taking the time to explain this to you...

When you're sitting around on your couch at home, you have the choice to change the channel and get away from the History Channel or whatever other programming you don't want to see.  Since it's in the privacy of your own home, no one's going to know or care.

However, if you're Carlos Delgado, you spend every night doing your job in front of 20,000 people at a ballpark and who knows how many others at home and at bars watching on TV.  Everything you do -- flub an easy ground ball, strike out looking with the bases loaded, refuse to stand for an unneeded display of patriotism and refusal to get on with our lives during the 7th inning stretch -- is magnified and criticized.

The actions of Joe Q. Public at home and the actions of a professional athlete on the job cannot be compared because they're two completely different arenas (no pun intended).

WTF are u talking about... wow, talk about missing the point of a post...

Learn from what mistakes?  Building a couple of skyscrapers so high that they become inviting targets for anyone who wants to attack America?  Yeah, let's not do that again.  :rolleyes:

Okay, lets make no more buildings over 300 feet so we don't make targets for terrorists, infact, lets get rid of airplanes, let's get rid of box cutters... yeap, that's the liberal way of waging war on Terror... JOB WELL DONE! KERRY 2004!

seriously now, if you haven't learned anything from 9/11 God have mercy on your soul...

Or perhaps you mean the mistake of screwing around where we don't belong and creating a situation where entire nations and/or religious factions would like nothing better than to see us wiped off the face of the planet.  If that's the case then yes, I agree with you, let's not make THAT mistake ever again.

okay, let's retreat all our troops around the world, build a 100 foot wall around our borders and leave the world to fix it's own problems....

Go ahead, I'd love to see it.  You've done an excellent job of making an ass out of yourself lately.  I can't wait to see how you'll handle this one.

:rofl: right over your head... again....

Not true. I know people who died on 9/11 and my friends had family members die. We have talked about this before and none of us consider the playing of God Bless America as something where we are getting it constantly thrown in our face that our friends and family members are gone. I didn't realize that you spoke for everyone in America.

If she doesn't speak for America, why is it that you are? Everyone deals with it differently. People should not be criticized for not standing because you ASSUME they are being unpatriotic, or have forgotten 9/11. If you feel standing is important then stand, don't worry about what someone else is doing when you don't know that persons situation. Just worry about yourself.

If she doesn't speak for America, why is it that you are? Everyone deals with it differently. People should not be criticized for not standing because you ASSUME they are being unpatriotic, or have forgotten 9/11. If you feel standing is important then stand, don't worry about what someone else is doing when you don't know that persons situation. Just worry about yourself.

You missed the point she made it seem like everyone felt that way and all I was trying to do was show that not everyone minds having it "thrown back in their face" as she would call it.

WTF are u talking about... wow, talk about missing the point of a post...

Oh, I get it, you weren't trying to debate, you were just frothing at the mouth like you usually do. Of course. Why should any of us expect you to be interested in an honest exchange of viewpoints when it's so much easier for you to toss out ad hominems and overgeneralizations? :rolleyes:

Learn from what mistakes?  Building a couple of skyscrapers so high that they become inviting targets for anyone who wants to attack America?  Yeah, let's not do that again.  :rolleyes:

Okay, lets make no more buildings over 300 feet so we don't make targets for terrorists, infact, lets get rid of airplanes, let's get rid of box cutters... yeap, that's the liberal way of waging war on Terror... JOB WELL DONE! KERRY 2004!

*whoosh*

To quote Charlie Brown, "Don't you know sarcasm when you hear it?!?!?" :argh:

seriously now, if you haven't learned anything from 9/11 God have mercy on your soul...

Well, you seem to have learned that anyone who isn't an American is evil and deserves our eternal hatred and scorn. It's safe to say I haven't come away with the same conclusion.

Or perhaps you mean the mistake of screwing around where we don't belong and creating a situation where entire nations and/or religious factions would like nothing better than to see us wiped off the face of the planet.  If that's the case then yes, I agree with you, let's not make THAT mistake ever again.

okay, let's retreat all our troops around the world, build a 100 foot wall around our borders and leave the world to fix it's own problems....

And you're saying everything's going over MY head? :huh:

It is true that TK421 is entitled to express his opinions, but nobody should pretend that his comment about the Phillipines being a "piece of crap" country isn't offensive. It is, and it only further reveals his extreme political bias (that the Bush admininistration does next to no wrong).

I guess a good quality about America is that nobody is forced to listen to people such as TK421, because every country that disagreed with its policies would be subject to ruthless assault.

I guess you're right Giuseppe, The Phillipines are a role model country for the entire world cause they let the terrorists win a victory.... man, I mean now i realize my mistake, how could i ever bad mouth such a noble and just country...

I guess you're right Giuseppe, The Phillipines are a role model country for the entire world cause they let the terrorists win a victory.... man, I mean now i realize my mistake, how could i ever bad mouth such a noble and just country...

see how easy that was... B )

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.