2015 New York Jets thread

NJDevs4978

Yea that missed team meeting smells a little fishy beez. So he got messed up with the west coast time change? I mean seriously how the heck does that happen? He seemed to know when that movie started just fine.

Geno is such a failure that I don't need to see anymore. If Vick can get some first team reps and get going....he can be a respectable starting QB that does some good things, as well as some maddening things. But overall Vick won't be a total train wreck like Smith.

Geno's a dumb schmuck that it wouldn't shock me if he was ignorant about the time change. But let's stop acting like Vick is going to be some magic salve, this team has serious problems beyond QB. You think Vick is going to do any better with Greg Salas and Jeremy Kerley as his #1-2 WR's? The WR's are a joke, Decker can't stay on the field. CJ getting carries over Powell is a joke, the secondary is a complete disaster and now the teams playing like they know Rex is dead man walking, which he is.

Vick had more completions than Geno.. more passing yards.. more rushing yards.. and less turnovers. He had a TD barely called back, and 3 dropped passes by his receivers. Granted, none of that is anything to write home about.. but he still looked better than Geno. --and this is taking into account that he was cold, with little to none 1st team practice reps.

This Sunday will be Geno Smith's 22nd start if his career. He has 3,995 yrds.. 16 passing TD's.. 33 turnovers.. with a 69.3 rating. He has manufactured 4 victories, over his last 12 games! Geno has done NOTHING to remain the starting quarterback CR.. absolutely NOTHING! No matter how Vick played\looked during the 2nd half in San Diego.. it is extremely suspicious why they would immediately go back to Smith. 

I'm not disagreeing with you...I'm saying the fact that Vick's numbers from yesterday (and no one can make much out of them) made it all too easy for the Jets to say "We're going to go back to Geno."  If Vick had gone, say, 13-for-19 with a TD pass and the team seemed to get some life from his playing, I don't think there's any possible way that the Jets don't stick with Vick.  But at this point I think they should just stick with him anyway...he can't do any worse, and with some reps, should at least be decent. 

I thought Vick was pretty bad as well, or at least he didn't show that he could advance the Jets chances enough to pull the plug on Geno, which will likely mean he's done with the Jets.  Vick took a few sacks yesterday (which is something that a QB of his mobility ought to be able to avoid), he wasn't all that accurate with his throws, and couldn't put up any points in a half that was essentially garbage time for the Chargers. 

The puzzling thing though is Rex immediately naming Geno the starter for next week.  Maybe he's at the point that he doesn't care if he gets fired as he doesn't see the Jets having the personnel to get anywhere in the near future.  He'll get paid until he finds another coaching job.  He would easily get a job as a fairly high paid coordinator, or might land a shot as Oakland's head coach where he'll again go in with low expectations.   Or maybe we wants to stay and can tell the owner that an awful QB was forced on him and that he was simply doing what the GM wanted in sticking with him. 

Or it could just be that the alternative to Geno isn't that good either. 

He was pretty bad, but give Vick the 1st team reps and put him into a workable situation (not a game that is already 21 or 28-0) and he can do something. Plus I think as a football player Vick commands more respect as a football player. I think the rest of this team believes Geno is a joke.

The puzzling thing though is Rex immediately naming Geno the starter for next week.

100%. This is the elephant in the room that hasn't been addressed by anyone within the organization. It'd be one thing if the off the field stuff was there, but Geno was lights-out on gameday. That's not what's happening here. This is still a PR business at the end of the day, where perception is reality. Between Geno's performance on the field, and his behavior off the field.. the Jets look REALLY bad in allowing him to remain the unquestionable starter. It just doesn't make sense.

First game in the Rex Ryan era that I felt like one could make a case as to why he should be fired.

I wasn't old enough to remember the "rebel days" of the New York Giants, where fans were literally burning their jersey's in the 70's.. but my Uncle insists that it was a series of off-the-field instances which brought about the angry mob(s). If Rex gets fired.. I can see it getting really ugly among Jets nation. --Staying on topic of public relations.. it would be a PR nightmare for the Jets to fire Rex, while allowing Idzik to remain. If Idzik gets to come back next season.. so should Rex. If Woody has to fire Ryan.. then Idzik should follow him. It's either one or the other.

A carpenter is only as good as his tools, and the same can be said for Marty & Rex. John Idzik had 12 draft picks & 20 millions dollars to play with this season.. and did.. NOTHING!

..if I'm a paying constituent and have vested PSL's with the Jets.. I want to see BOTH Idzik & Ryan stand trial.. not just one.

I think you can make a strong case for Idzik being canned at the end of the year.  Like I said, just seems all wrong for this team.  Rex will probably follow him out the door...I think that's too bad, because I still like him and think he has something. 

Horrible, only five of the twelve draft picks THIS year are still on the active roster.

Wow....I don't even think Jerry Jones' WORST years had THAT bad a success percentage :blink:

Wow....I don't even think Jerry Jones' WORST years had THAT bad a success percentage :blink:

Yeah even Jeff Ireland would be an upgrade for the Jets at this point. I mean literally any of us on this board could probably pick 6 players in the draft that could make a roster at least... Edited by MadDog2020

Well a couple of them are on IR to be fair :lol:  (though when you pick a CB that's always hurt - McDougle - why should I be surprised when he gets hurt?).  It's actually worse cause two of the five guys ON the roster have been inactive every game.

http://nypost.com/2014/09/30/john-idziks-draft-a-dirty-dozen-so-far/

Honestly other than Sheldon Richardson (who was blood money from the Revis trade) they really haven't done much with their picks in two years.  Milliner's been mostly awful and hurt outside of two good games late last year, Geno well we know the deal with him.  Pryor hits, but there's little evidence he does anything else.

Edited by NJDevs4978

100%. This is the elephant in the room that hasn't been addressed by anyone within the organization. It'd be one thing if the off the field stuff was there, but Geno was lights-out on gameday. That's not what's happening here. This is still a PR business at the end of the day, where perception is reality. Between Geno's performance on the field, and his behavior off the field.. the Jets look REALLY bad in allowing him to remain the unquestionable starter. It just doesn't make sense.

Who knows, maybe there is some truth to the nonsense theory that Vick doesn't really want to play.  There were whispers at the end of camp that the Jets were dissapointed Vick wasn't more determined to take the job and Fat Francesa basically accused Vick of the same thing (not wanting to be there yesterday).

At the very least Geno should sit a game for outright missing the meeting, this isn't grade school where you can just make it up with extra credit later.  You're a professional starting quarterback, you have a bigger responsibility than that.  Coughlin fines guys for being on time to meetings :P

Edited by NJDevs4978

That's a pretty wild assumption by Mike. He's right a lot more than we give him credit, but he's also never objective when it comes to the Jets. He says the Jets are "always" a mess. But they weren't a mess all of last year. Heck this past game was the only time you could call them a mess. Other than that the 3 losses to Det, GB, and Chicago were very close and frustrating.

I'm about ready to roll with Simms the rest of the way.

Edited by '7'

He says the Jets are "always" a mess.

That perception just seems destined to follow the Jets no matter what they do, because the last seventeen seasons show pretty conclusively that the Jets have mostly been solidly competitive (I've detailed this before, but the Jets have been .500 or better in 13 of those 17 seasons).  They've been a mess at times, and like I and others have pointed out, they have a way of failing memorably, but for some reason some people insist on making it sound as though the Jets are a constant laughingstock.  They're not and haven't been for a long time.  Beez was kind of onto something with his Buttfumble comment, re:  Sanchez...it seems like every Jet failure gets blown up to the point where everyone ignores the good things they've done, and suddenly the failures are "always" happening.  17 seasons, 7 playoff appearances, 7-6 playoff won-lost record, 3 AFC Championship appearances...that is simply not bad. 

Yeah even Jeff Ireland would be an upgrade for the Jets at this point. I mean literally any of us on this board could probably pick 6 players in the draft that could make a roster at least...

..something very strange is beginning to happen that I'm quite shocked at. Idzik is getting WAY more of the brunt in the court of public opinion, by the majority of the fans\media. I've been screaming this for the past 2 years, but I thought I would be in the minority. I'm not. It's usually the Head Coach that's the first fall guy in situations like this.. but the perception that Idzik is deliberately sabotaging Rex has taken a life of it's own. This may work in Rex's favor in the end.. with Woody Johnson basically telling both the HC & GM: "you both have one more year to try and fix this.. if not, then I clean house" Rex has become a tragic figure by fans.. to the point where it's a Catch-22. The front office can't keep Rex for 2015, and fire yet another GM. However.. they also can't fire Ryan now either. If Rex is the fall guy on Black Monday, he becomes a martyr. What happens at that point? A new coach is brought in by Idzik with about 68 mill to spend.. and a Top 10 draft pick?! :glare: I can't stress how bad that would make the entire organization look. The Jets would seriously be risking alienating their own players.. and believe me.. they're very much aware of this.

I thought after 3 years of not making the playoffs that Rex was dead-man-walking after this season. (and he still might) But if Jason Garrett & Jerry Jones have taught us anything, it's that: **mediocre identity, is better than no identity at all** --And I thought Herman Edwards was made of teflon!  :P  Rex has more lives than a cat!

Edited by Beezer34

Thing is the media's predisposed to like Rex anyway so certainly the stories are going to be pro-Rex. But if they have a few more 'efforts' like San Diego and the players pack it in, Woody won't have much of a choice but to fire him. The question is whether Idzik walks the plank too.

And the fact Geno missed a meeting for no good reason and wasn't disciplined hurts Rex. Certainly didn't help team morale Sunday.

Edited by NJDevs4978

That perception just seems destined to follow the Jets no matter what they do, because the last seventeen seasons show pretty conclusively that the Jets have mostly been solidly competitive (I've detailed this before, but the Jets have been .500 or better in 13 of those 17 seasons).  They've been a mess at times, and like I and others have pointed out, they have a way of failing memorably, but for some reason some people insist on making it sound as though the Jets are a constant laughingstock.  They're not and haven't been for a long time.  Beez was kind of onto something with his Buttfumble comment, re:  Sanchez...it seems like every Jet failure gets blown up to the point where everyone ignores the good things they've done, and suddenly the failures are "always" happening.  17 seasons, 7 playoff appearances, 7-6 playoff won-lost record, 3 AFC Championship appearances...that is simply not bad. 

I think a lot of it has to do with how dysfunctional the front office and especially the owner can be.  Take a look at last year, when the Giants had the worse record and had overall a crappy season, yet no one thought of them as a dysfunctional team, but that label still followed the Jets around, not for entirely unjustifiable reasons.  You have an owner who seemingly can't get the coach and GM on the same page, but forces the marriage.  At least Steve Ross, who lord knows owns a team that has gone nowhere for a long time, is decisive with his front office decisions.  The second it appeared that Ireland and the head coach could not work together, he got rid of one of them.  Obviously, the Jets front office has not stopped them from fielding good teams in the past.  It's just not a recipe for long term success. 

At least Teblow would have been prepared to play :P

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000407939/article/michael-vick-admits-he-was-unprepared-vs-chargers?campaign=Twitter_atl

More fodder for those who feel Vick doesn't really want to play...

They just can't stop embarrassing themselves

Bottom line was Vick was the best backup QB available this offseason. Can you really blame them for signing him? Probably not...but I mean who could gauge what his heart was at this point in his life. You already had whispers about him not really competing hard during training camp.

Geno and Vick are both zeros. And the Jets should probably forfeit to Denver. That's how ugly it will be

Denver is only favored by 91/2. I thought it would be higher in all honesty.

A team coming off a humiliating road loss and being roasted in the media should respond to some extent at home. The Jets wont win, but i could see them losing by a non lopsided amount. Though I would be surprised if they kept it within 10. I see 27-10 Denver.