2014-2015 Around the league thread

MadDog2020

Same return as the Devils got for Jagr, so I think Calgary did very well. That's also a current playoff team trading an upcoming UFA.

Calgary's not in right now. They're 3 points out of the 2nd WC spot. They're in the hunt, but I imagine they're looking at it as getting something for nothing and dont have a lot of confidence in the playoffs.

Same return as the Devils got for Jagr, so I think Calgary did very well. That's also a current playoff team trading an upcoming UFA.

Thinking Lou pulled the trigger a little too early on Jagr. He hasn't been on this end before, and it might have shown. Not saying he was going to get a lot more, but you never know.

I don't think it was a bad move to trade Jagr that early, it had to be done and we got a real good return, nothing to envy to anyone really. Would have been risky IMO to get greedy and risk not being able to trade him at all cause teams would have got someone else, it's really a sellers market this season.

Also im not gonna push it, walking on eggshells here, and im politely replying to your post but i've been slammed hardcore for pointing out that it was a thing that playoffs teams were indeed trading upcoming UFAs when the conditions were favorable or at least looking into it. Many good examples this year so far, especially if Zuccarello is indeed traded. Seems like the general consensus on this board is that you simply don't do it under any circumstances if you're in the race and that it would be foolish to do so.

Random question, did it ever happened that a top UFA got traded for say a first round pick and a prospect or wtv, played the rest of the season and playoffs. Then re-sign with his original team in the summer? It must have?

I mean, i could totally see a GM planning that whole thing and it wouldnt be the hardest thing to do. If you don't have a shot at the playoffs, you send a top player for a run to a contender, good experience for him and you get a framework on his next contract all ready to go and you just wait. 

If your team really really sucks and that your guy is really really loyal, well you re-sign him only 1 year every summer and do it 2-3 years in a row and you're stack haha

**** im obviously somewhat kidding here, but still an interesting thought *** haha

@ChrisKuc: Patrick Sharp said he is looking into getting a lawyer to combat the rumors spreading about him. #Blackhawks http://deadspin.com/blackhawks-deny-rumors-of-locker-room-strife-1688776633?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Edited by MadDog2020

Thinking Lou pulled the trigger a little too early on Jagr. He hasn't been on this end before, and it might have shown. Not saying he was going to get a lot more, but you never know.

I think Lou had originally intended to wait until the last minute to trade Jagr, but things started to get a little ugly and the situation became a distraction, so he pulled the plug on the team a little early. 

Same return as the Devils got for Jagr (actually potentially better since the 2nd and 3rd in the Glencross deal are for the 2015 draft), so I think Calgary did very well. That's also a current playoff team trading an upcoming UFA. (EDIT, just outside of the playoffs, thanks GHDI...what have I done)

Oh come on now, I know it's chic to bash Lou but this is just silly.  He's been a GM for almost thirty years, just because he hasn't been on the other end of deadline dealing for a while doesn't mean he doesn't know market value and how to play the deadline game from buying rentals himself.

Besides nobody thought we could get a 2 and a 3 for Jagr, he had more name value than actual value and I suspect the Panthers' offer was much better than anything Lou was getting elsewhere which is why he pulled the trigger.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Oh come on now, I know it's chic to bash Lou but this is just silly.  He's been a GM for almost thirty years, just because he hasn't been on the other end of deadline dealing for a while doesn't mean he doesn't know how to play the deadline game from buying rentals himself.

Besides nobody thought we could get a 2 and a 3 for Jagr, he had more name value than actual value and I suspect the Panthers' offer was much better than anything Lou was getting elsewhere which is why he pulled the trigger.

Not bashing at all. But I don't think it's too big of a stretch to say some GMs are better sellers having experience dealing with desperate GMs that eventually cave. 

And it looks like Sather has done another Houdini impersonation.  

Edited by devilsrule33

Not bashing at all. But I don't think it's too big of a stretch to say some GMs are better sellers having experience dealing with desperate GMs that eventually cave. 

And it looks like Sather has done another Houdini impersonation.  

It's nice to have a protege working for a team that can be your minor league outfit.  Too bad Dean is with the Kings instead of say the Sabres  :P

Edited by NJDevs4978

Sounds like Girardi is going to the Coyotes too

@RealKyper  37s37 seconds ago

Apologies to Girardi.  Told he is now not expected in the deal.  It's Moore , Duclair and mult'draft picks. #NHLtrade. #Rangers #Coyotes.

2016? They had to give up two first round picks because they made it to the ECF last year in that deal.

Pretty sure it was their 2014 and 2015 1st's given up in that deal. So yeah they won't have had a 1st round pick in 3 straight seasons. They're all in. Hopefully it blows up in their face. Edited by MadDog2020

2016? They had to give up two first round picks because they made it to the ECF last year in that deal.

Yes and they picked once. They got the 2014 first already. The condition was the 2015 if they made the ECF. They did. Tampa owns the 2015 first.