NHL Board Authorizes Formal Expansion Process

thecoffeecake

They said they distributed applications to 16 parties. While I'm sure there may have been multiple interested groups in some markets, there were certainly some cities that expressed interest that no one expected or discussed. Where do you guys think all those applications went? Also, it sounds like the league definitely expected more applications to be submitted. My guess is Seattle groups are looking to go after the Coyotes. I'm definitely happy about Toronto not submitting anything. Avoid that mess for a bit longer.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They said they distributed applications to 16 parties. While I'm sure there may have been multiple interested groups in some markets, there were certainly some cities that expressed interest that no one expected or discussed. Where do you guys think all those applications went? Also, it sounds like the league definitely expected more applications to be submitted. My guess is Seattle groups are looking to go after the Coyotes. I'm definitely happy about Toronto not submitting anything. Avoid that mess for a bit longer.

Well, obviously Vegas and Quebec.  There were 3 groups apparently interested in Seattle. Others were probably Portland, Richmond, Hartford, Toronto (possibly 2 Toronto groups), Houston, KC, San Antonio, Hamilton?

I know it's been talked about in the past but what about 4 conferences, 8 divisions. I'd go with this:

A Canadian Conference 

East

Quebec

Montreal

Toronto

Ottawa

West

Calgary

Edmonton

Winnipeg

Vancouver

Western Conference

Div 1

Anaheim

LA

San Jose

Las Vegas

Div 2

Arizona

Colorado

Dallas

Minnesota

Atlantic Conference

Metro Division

NJ

NYR

NYI

Philly

Southern Division

Washington

Tampa Bay

Florida

Carolina

Northern Conference

Div. 1

Boston

Buffalo

Pittsburgh

Columbus

Div. 2

Detroit

St. Louis

Chicago

Nashville

I'd say go with creative conference/division names, maybe the Gretzky Conference for example.

Each team would play:

6 games vs division               6x3=18

4 games vs other division      4x4=16

2 games vs other conference  2x24=48

Well, obviously Vegas and Quebec. There were 3 groups apparently interested in Seattle. Others were probably Portland, Richmond, Hartford, Toronto (possibly 2 Toronto groups), Houston, KC, San Antonio, Hamilton?

You think there was someone considering spending a million dollars to apply for an expansion team in Richmond?

Seattle just wants a team so it looks better that they will be sharing an arena with an NBA team when they apply for an expansion team in the NBA.  I really do think their #1 goal is to get back an NBA team and the co-tenant deal just sweetens it for the NBA brass.

Looks like the two cities that wanted it the most got their applications in on time.

You think there was someone considering spending a million dollars to apply for an expansion team in Richmond?

Yes.  Northern Virginia was rumored to have a potential owner and apparently city is ready to build a new arena or renovate the Richmond Coliseum (or whatever it is called nowadays).

Yep, it was $2M non-refundable, and that's why Seattle balked at the idea.  Don't blame them, especially when they were probably 3rd in consideration.

Seattle would get a team before Quebec City IF they had a concrete arena plan.

The $2MM is nothing to these guys.  We are talking about people who have $2MM in their pockets (I dont mean that literally).

I think I read somewhere that the fee was a $10 million deposit upon submission of the application. Unless you have an ownership group in place, that's tough to pull off on short notice.

Not for billionaires, which is who is going to be looking to have a team.  They can have $10MM cash with one phone call.

I hate the idea of a second Toronto team. Always have. Not necessary. I'd NEVER allow it to happen if I were the Leafs.

You are lucky the Rangers didn't have this attitude in the early 80s.  There are a hell of a lot more hockey fans in the Toronto metro area than in the NY metro area.  They could easily support a 2nd team.  Plus, for every 3 people who love the Leafs, there is someone who absolutely hates them in the area.  Which btw, IS a lot of people.

Edited by Matteau#32

I know it's been talked about in the past but what about 4 conferences, 8 divisions. I'd go with this:

A Canadian Conference 

East

Quebec

Montreal

Toronto

Ottawa

West

Calgary

Edmonton

Winnipeg

Vancouver

Western Conference

Div 1

Anaheim

LA

San Jose

Las Vegas

Div 2

Arizona

Colorado

Dallas

Minnesota

Atlantic Conference

Metro Division

NJ

NYR

NYI

Philly

Southern Division

Washington

Tampa Bay

Florida

Carolina

Northern Conference

Div. 1

Boston

Buffalo

Pittsburgh

Columbus

Div. 2

Detroit

St. Louis

Chicago

Nashville

I'd say go with creative conference/division names, maybe the Gretzky Conference for example.

Each team would play:

6 games vs division               6x3=18

4 games vs other division      4x4=16

2 games vs other conference  2x24=48

How would you do playoffs in this scenario?

Apparently Bettman said complete balance among the divisions is not really necessary.  The current 4-division format was a 3 year experiment to be discussed after this year.  I wouldn't be surprised to see them go back to 6 divisions and back to top-8 in conference for play-offs.  4 with 5 teams and 2 with 6.  Something like this:

Atlantic-NYR, NYI, NJD, PIT, PHI

NE-BOS, MTL, TOR, OTT, BUF, QUE

SE-TB, FLA, CAR, WASH, DET, CBJ

Central-CHI, STL, DAL, NASH, MIN

NW-VAN, EDM, CGY, WPG, COL

Pacific-LA, ANH, SJ, ARI, LV

If Arizona goes to Seattle, can leave in Pacific or swap them with Colorado.

Can also do:

Atlantic-NYR, NYI, NJD, PIT, PHI

NE-BOS, MTL, TOR, OTT, BUF, QUE

SE-TB, FLA, CAR, WASH, NASH

Central-CHI, STL, DAL, MIN, DET, CBJ

NW-VAN, EDM, CGY, WPG, COL

Pacific-LA, ANH, SJ, ARI, LV

If they did it, probably something like division winners get in, and the next 2 in the conference.

Edited by Matteau#32

Yes. Northern Virginia was rumored to have a potential owner and apparently city is ready to build a new arena or renovate the Richmond Coliseum (or whatever it is called nowadays).

The $2MM is nothing to these guys. We are talking about people who have $2MM in their pockets (I dont mean that literally).

Not for billionaires, which is who is going to be looking to have a team. They can have $10MM cash with one phone call.

You are lucky the Rangers didn't have this attitude in the early 80s. There are a hell of a lot more hockey fans in the Toronto metro area than in the NY metro area. They could easily support a 2nd team. Plus, for every 3 people who love the Leafs, there is someone who absolutely hates them in the area. Which btw, IS a lot of people.

Yeah, I guess you have a point... Although I would hope if the GTA ever gets another team, they would rep Ontario and call themselves 'Ontario' and not 'Toronto', since any arena they build likely won't be in the city of Toronto itself, but probably Markham.

I would have top 2 teams from each division make it. They would play each other for division champ, 8 teams left. Then you would go to conference finals, 4 teams left. Final 4 would be seeded, either by regular season record, maybe playoff record.

I would have top 2 teams from each division make it. They would play each other for division champ, 8 teams left. Then you would go to conference finals, 4 teams left. Final 4 would be seeded, either by regular season record, maybe playoff record.

my point was how the "east" and "west" would line up to play eachother in the finals

They probably would market themselves as an Ontario team. Aince Markham is North of Toronto, likely wouldn't have as much of an impact on the Sabres like a team in Hamilton likely would.

I still think Buffalo would get a nice indemnification fee though. I'm sure they'd demand it.

Yes. Northern Virginia was rumored to have a potential owner and apparently city is ready to build a new arena or renovate the Richmond Coliseum (or whatever it is called nowadays).

The $2MM is nothing to these guys. We are talking about people who have $2MM in their pockets (I dont mean that literally).

Not for billionaires, which is who is going to be looking to have a team. They can have $10MM cash with one phone call.

You are lucky the Rangers didn't have this attitude in the early 80s. There are a hell of a lot more hockey fans in the Toronto metro area than in the NY metro area. They could easily support a 2nd team. Plus, for every 3 people who love the Leafs, there is someone who absolutely hates them in the area. Which btw, IS a lot of people.

First of all, Richmond isn't in Northern Virginia. Secondly, I can't find any evidence of anyone in Virginia talking about the NHL. Source?

First of all, Richmond isn't in Northern Virginia. Secondly, I can't find any evidence of anyone in Virginia talking about the NHL. Source?

I saw it about 2-3 weeks ago.  Can't remember exactly where.  An article about potential markets.  I never took northern virginia or richmond as a serious candidate, but if 16 application packets were sent out, I am thinking they were one of them.  Might have been a case where I read Richmond somewhere, then saw northern virginia somewhere and connected the two. But, the same article also listed Hartford, Houston, and KC, which I have never heard anywhere else as being a legit candidate.

Edited by Matteau#32

Seattle won't have an NHL ready facility in time to house them any sooner.

As long as there's an arena plan with financing secured and in place, they can play at Key Arena until the new building is ready. If the league can get a firm arena commitment from Seattle, I think they'll be okay sticking it out at Key for a couple of seasons.

Out of curiosity, is there any reason why Portland hasn't been in the discussions for another West Coast team? They used to be front and center of these things (remember when YankeeNets was selling the Devils, Portland was a frontrunner in where we might have ended up) and now I hear nothing about them.

• 3 weeks later...