Devils' plan to have the team move to the practice dressing room

msweet

The Devils' plan to have the team move to the practice dressing room for games, walk past fans and enter the ice from one corner of the Prudential Center rink has seemingly hit a major snag. The NHL has apparently frowned upon allowing the club to put another entrance gate in the boards, which would make two at that end of the ice. Stay tuned on this one.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2015/10/devils_rapid_reaction_81.html

I understand what they want to do for a Platinum thing like the Rangers or how the Leafs do - I just don't think they should be adding another entrance on our side of the ice. It's rare the Zamboni entrance is on the home side anyway, we don't another. There's nothing wrong with where we come out now, or just have them come out the zamboni entrance.

The arena is already fantastic and will be the home for, if not the rest of, our entire lives. But JVB was a couple years too soon of a few things:

1) Economy collapse. Ouch, lots of debt of the arena. But maybe it took a bubble to even get us a new building

2) Restaurant should be where the Goal Bar is and visa versa. A no-brainer here. Just terrible planning

3) Clubs on side that players enter. Why not reward your highest paying clients with this?

4) TV technology boom. Concourse screens and scoreboard could be so much cooler but things have gotten exponentially better since the arena was built. Oh well

It's all good. The Rock is world class, and will be for a while. Owners are spending to make some necessary improvements and its awesome. Just wish they had been the ones to build the arena, but it is what it is and JVB should forever be applauded for putting in the blood, sweat, and tears it took to even get PruCenter. If these changes help us more, all power to them!

Edited by Colin226

1) Economy collapse. Ouch, lots of debt of the arena. But maybe it took a bubble to even get us a new building

Nailed it. Don't forget the silly deal he was able to squeeze out of Sharpe James administration and for a few years had the whole of Newark pretty cool with it. They were desperate for something like Pru Center, a deal that might not've gone down right now.

The arena is already fantastic and will be the home for, if not the rest of, our entire lives. But JVB was a couple years too soon of a few things:

2) Restaurant should be where the Goal Bar is and visa versa. A no-brainer here. Just terrible planning

3) Clubs on side that players enter. Why not reward your highest paying clients with this?

4) TV technology boom. Concourse screens and scoreboard could be so much cooler but things have gotten exponentially better since the arena was built. Oh well

It's all good. The Rock is world class, and will be for a while. Owners are spending to make some necessary improvements and its awesome. Just wish they had been the ones to build the arena, but it is what it is and JVB should forever be applauded for putting in the blood, sweat, and tears it took to even get PruCenter. If these changes help us more, all power to them!

I love the prudential center, but let's not get carried away. I love the idea of a timeless building that we'd play in forever, but that's not how things are constructed right now, and haven't been for a long time. Tastes will change, and the building will start to crumble. There needs to be a serious shift in sensibilities before we build an arena that will be around for generation after generation. Owners are going to keep finding new ways to squeeze income out of their teams, and the buildings are going to need to keep up. We didn't leave the Meadowlands because it was too small. The islanders abandoned their fanbase to move to a smaller building, even without the 1/3rd of seats that are obstructed, to exploit "amenities", or whatever the buzzword is for gimmicky bullsh!t nowadays.

Quite frankly, buildings are awful today. They aren't built to last, post modern architecture that everyone loves is tacky, and as quickly as we rejected brutalist design, we're going to look back and think "man, everything we've been building is sh!t". Unfortunately, I bet the next era of architecture is going to be just as bad if not worse.

People were saying the same thing when places like Shea and the Vet were opening up. It was the future, these multipurpose buildings are sensible and economical, and this is the way it's gonna be. Well, the Vet was demolished over a decade before it was paid off, and Shea was it's own dump by the time the new millennium came around. It's cyclical.

Again, I love the Rock, but I bet we see a serious effort to get this team into a new building before its 30th birthday.

Again, I love the Rock, but I bet we see a serious effort to get this team into a new building before its 30th birthday.

Well that's all arenas isn't it? Look at how many arenas are over 30 in the NHL. Rexall and Joe Louis are being replaced soon.The Saddledome in Calgary looks like it will be replaced and MSG was just renovated because why give up that location if you don't have to? The rest are not older then 1993 and really Ottawa is the only one being talked about moving into a new building (cause the location from what I heard is similar to the Meadowlands so its probably a pain to get to.)

Love it when any structure that is new is decried by the people who for whatever reason hate the looks as "post-modern."  Sorry but the Rock is not some Calatrava designed monstrosity (and to be clear he is more neo-futuristic I would guess).

If you want to talk about arenas not being built for the future, one of the best examples is the much overly-beloved BAA/CAA/Izod Center.  The minute the arena was opened there were already critics calling it outdated.  The decision to go with one concourse, sparse luxury boxes (even for the early 80's) and the lack of a center scoreboard (which wasn't added until very late 80's/early 90's) made it obsolete the day it was opened.  Fact is those "buzzword" amenities is what brings in the big $ for these arenas and in the times we live in where the attention span of most people can be measured in seconds, these are needed to keep the masses occupied and to continue open their wallets.

If Nassau county really wanted to keep the Islanders they could.  Instead they pretty much blocked every effort to keep the Islanders there and now the Islanders would rather be in arena that is smaller and has lots of obstructed views in exchange for a chance to actually make lots of money on the amenities and guaranteed money the Barclays center is providing.

Edited by DevsMan84

Uh, the prudential center isn't postmodern. At all. And I'm curious to hear why you think "everything that's built today is sh!t"? For every Frank Ghery building you'll point to I'll point to on budget, on time, and wonderfully attractive PW, ADD, BJark Ingles building that functions with efficiency that would have made you sh!t yourself a decade ago. I'm not thrilled with the current state of architecture, but I'm not as bleak as you are.

I'm not sure I ever explicitly said the Prudential Center was post modern, but it certainly is. The entire exterior was designed to reflect Newarks industrial heritage. Citationality is a key feature of postmodernism. It's not that narrow of a design style.

I could not care any less about budget or timetables. I'm talking strictly about design. And before I get a matter of fact lecture from someone that works in architecture or is a civil engineer or something, I understand and respect that concerning with those kinds of things are a major part of your job, and you have paying clients that want things done a certain way by a certain time. However, the same way other art forms aren't immune to criticisms due to any kind of constraints, architecture shouldn't be either.

Personally, I prefer masonry and brick architecture. Obviously, not every building can be built with those materials, but with larger projects and those with heavy civic significance, maybe cost cutting and racing time aren't the strategies that should be employed.

And roomtemp, I'm fully aware of the lifespans of arenas. I was responding to someone posting about us playing at the Rock for a significant amount of time.

I'm not sure I ever explicitly said the Prudential Center was post modern, but it certainly is. The entire exterior was designed to reflect Newarks industrial heritage. Citationality is a key feature of postmodernism. It's not that narrow of a design style.

I could not care any less about budget or timetables. I'm talking strictly about design. And before I get a matter of fact lecture from someone that works in architecture or is a civil engineer or something, I understand and respect that concerning with those kinds of things are a major part of your job, and you have paying clients that want things done a certain way by a certain time. However, the same way other art forms aren't immune to criticisms due to any kind of constraints, architecture shouldn't be either.

Personally, I prefer masonry and brick architecture. Obviously, not every building can be built with those materials, but with larger projects and those with heavy civic significance, maybe cost cutting and racing time aren't the strategies that should be employed.

And roomtemp, I'm fully aware of the lifespans of arenas. I was responding to someone posting about us playing at the Rock for a significant amount of time.

You lost me on that line.  There are many large projects with "heavy civic significance" that do not justify anywhere near their cost or length of time it took for them to get built.

Great example is the new and almost open WTC transportation hub.  It's a hub that wasn't very needed by indication of average daily ridership, the fact that the overbudget and delayed Fulton hub only a couple blocks away could basically do the same job and that the damn thing's final price tag is now $3.74 billion (with $225M spent on a single hallway).

I certainly wished some cost cutting was employed here but I guess it's important to somebody and it kind of looks like a weird dinosaur skeleton.

Edited by DevsMan84

You lost me on that line. There are many large projects with "heavy civic significance" that do not justify anywhere near their cost or length of time it took for them to get built.

Great example is the new and almost open WTC transportation hub. It's a hub that wasn't very needed by indication of average daily ridership, the fact that the overbudget and delayed Fulton hub only a couple blocks away could basically do the same job and that the damn thing's final price tag is now $3.74 billion (with $225M spent on a single hallway).

I certainly wished some cost cutting was employed here but I guess it's important to somebody and it kind of looks like a weird dinosaur skeleton.

I never said it didn't happen, but when it comes to important buildings in the community, we shouldn't be putting up plaster and drywall monstrosities to save time and money

I never said it didn't happen, but when it comes to important buildings in the community, we shouldn't be putting up plaster and drywall monstrosities to save time and money

A lot of these civic buildings have politicians as the clients, and you know how they are whenever you give them any sort of $.

Why spend on granite and marble when brick and mortar will do just fine and at a fraction of the cost?

Not agreeing or disagreeing with you here, yet. I'm curious which arenas in the NHL you do like? Columbus', Dallas', Washington's or Chicago's arenas seem to me what you're talking about, but I'm curious what prototype you like.

Not agreeing or disagreeing with you here, yet. I'm curious which arenas in the NHL you do like? Columbus', Dallas', Washington's or Chicago's arenas seem to me what you're talking about, but I'm curious what prototype you like.

I did say that I do like the Prudential Center, at least for what it is. I'm not too familiar with many arenas outside of the northeast. I've never even been into MSG proper or the Verizon Center, and haven't seen Barclay's in person. I'm not sure I love the design of Verizon Center, but I do like how it seamlessly fits into the block it's on. I prefer the designs of some of the old original 6 arenas. The old garden in Boston, the original forum exterior, maple leaf gardens, they were beautiful and simple. I understand the NHL outgrew them, but it's a shame tastes shifted even by the 60s. But everything has to be state of the art and cutting edge, which again, I understand. I just don't like it.