New York Mets 2016 Season Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

Man is this team going to strike out a ton.  Note to Sandy:  start finding some contact hitters.  

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Thank you Thor and thank you bullpen...all I wanted out of this week was a split in KC before the home opener.

Agree, was hoping for a split.  The deficiencies are definitely glaring for a team that's hoping to win a World Series, but I thought this was an important win.  I just feel for this pitching staff.  So much pressure is going to be on them.

Maybe Dopey Terry is finally learning how to handle a pitching staff...so many times he would've let a guy in Noah's position start the 7th, then taken him out after some damage had already been done.  But then again, he did bring in Colon in the first game...

Niese having one of those bipolar outings that can make fans insane in his Pirate debut:  1 BB and 7 K in 5 IP, but he's also allowed 5 hits (1 HR, 1 2B and 1 3B hit among them) and 5 R (4 ER).  Oh, and he hit a batter before allowing the HR, right after his team got him his second lead of the night to work with.  If that doesn't sound like Jon Niese...

Maybe it's the defense's fault...

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

CR, I'm not giving TC that much credit it was the 2nd game of the season. They always yank pitchers. I think  he would have pulled him barring anything shy of a no no and he still might get the hook.  I was very impressed with Henderson though. I don't think I'll ever get comfortable with Reed.

I was being more sarcastic than anything else, re:  TC...we'll see many head-scratching moves from him, and many will involve the pitching staff.  As long as he's the manager, he's going to get in the way.  

Vegas starts their season tomorrow.  Not surprisingly, Montero is getting the Opening Day assignment...both Backman and Viola said he looked very good in minor league camp, but Viola said he needs to work on his slider.  I have no expectations for Montero at this point, but it'd be nice if he stayed healthy and produced...it seems so unlikely that all of the Mets' starters will avoid injuries throughout the entire season.  Mets need viable options.  

Herrera DHing to start his season due to shoulder inflammation.

Way to go Wilpons...you ridiculous fvckers never ever seem to get it, do you?

http://nypost.com/2016/04/05/mike-piazza-just-cant-believe-mets-sold-his-famed-911-jersey/

Can't you just ONCE figure out what the right thing is without someone having to explain it to you after the fact?  No, of course not...you're the fvcking WILPONS.  fvck you Fred and fvck you Jeffy.  Amateur pieces of sh!t.

43 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Sometimes their denseness and naivete even surprises me.

I swear it's almost like they sit around and say "Looks like our fanbase is starting to warm up to us a little...what can we do to make them despise us again?" 

I just can't believe how DUMB they can be.  And how they almost always seem to be surprised by the outrage their latest act of pure stupidity causes.  And it just never stops happening.  They fvck up damned near everything, they really do.  Look, there's plenty of bad sports franchise owners out there, no question...but I just wonder how many of those "bad" owners are as blindly and stupidly incompetent as the Wilpons.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

16 hours ago, SMantzas said:

Captain Wright having a nice day. On base twice and two steals. Looks like his back is holding up well and he has confidence in it (knock on wood).

Not to knock Wright, but Chris Young is probably the easiest active pitcher in MLB to steal on -- runners have a 87% success rate against him for his career. When Young was a Met I remember how concerning it was when pretty much anyone with a hint of speed got on base. His delivery is incredibly slow and lanky to the plate.

Caught the end of the Marlins/Tigers game last night on MLB Network which was pretty thrilling. Fish rallied for 3 runs in the 9th off of our ol' pal K-Rod, who is chucking 87-88 mph fastballs these days, but ending up losing in extras. 

Edited by nmigliore

17 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

Not to knock Wright, but Chris Young is probably the easiest active pitcher in MLB to steal on -- runners have a 87% success rate against him for his career. When Young was a Met I remember how concerning it was when pretty much anyone with a hint of speed got on base. His delivery is incredibly slow and lanky to the plate.

Caught the end of the Marlins/Tigers game last night on MLB Network which was pretty thrilling. Fish rallied for 3 runs in the 9th off of our ol' pal K-Rod, who is chucking 87-88 mph fastballs these days, but ending up losing in extras. 

Did K-Rod just lose his velocity?  He was actually quite good the last two years:  WHIPs of 0.985 and 0.860, and his other numbers were strong too (low walk rate, still averaged over a K per inning).  Also made the All-Star team in both seasons. 

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Did K-Rod just lose his velocity?  He was actually quite good the last two years:  WHIPs of 0.985 and 0.860, and his other numbers were strong too (low walk rate, still averaged over a K per inning).  Also made the All-Star team in both seasons. 

He averaged 89-90 in 2014-2015 but was significantly below that last night - 87.5 per PitchFX, granted it was only his first outing of the season.

Just now, nmigliore said:

He averaged 89-90 in 2014-2015 but was significantly below that last night - 87.5 per PitchFX, granted it was only his first outing of the season.

I knew that it was lower than in his youth.  Didn't seem to affect him all that much, but year, if he's stuck in the 87-88 mph range, not sure how much he can compensate for that.

At the Mets/Cards spring training game that I went to, there was a Toronto fan I was BSing with who was lamenting his team having lost Syndergaard...he said some of the more studious Blue Jay fans were not happy about him going in that Dickey deal.  I remember how it felt to lose Kazmir, who's gone to have a good (though definitely not great) MLB career...I can't imagine how that guy feels.  Syndergaard looks like he should be a hell of a pitcher...IF he can stay healthy (never a guarantee these days).

1 hour ago, thecoffeecake said:

This new slide rule is an absolute joke. Every time someone gets hurt in the MLB, there's a new rule on the way.

Football has led the charge with reactionary rule changes and has gone too far.

But this is a good rule, remember Tejada broke his leg in the playoffs because of a totally dirty slide by a huge scumbag, so if it prevents guys from breaking their legs or getting very vulnerably blown up at 2nd, I'm fine with it. However in the Rays game the fielders leg was grabbed by the runner. You were NEVER allowed to grab fielder in any way while he turns two. So it was a good call.

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Way to go Wilpons...you ridiculous fvckers never ever seem to get it, do you?

http://nypost.com/2016/04/05/mike-piazza-just-cant-believe-mets-sold-his-famed-911-jersey/

Can't you just ONCE figure out what the right thing is without someone having to explain it to you after the fact?  No, of course not...you're the fvcking WILPONS.  fvck you Fred and fvck you Jeffy.  Amateur pieces of sh!t.

Honestly they must be completely tone deaf. They have NO UNDERSTANDING of what's sacred to Mets fans and what's not. That's why Citi Field had too much Dodger influence, that's why they sold off this jersey. Wilpons may own the Mets, and they love their team...but they're completely out of touch with the hearts and minds of their fans.

And also thank goodness the Yankees Stubhub fiasco is ongoing with their top brass literally spitting on diehard fans so that sort of balances out the sports media deluge of criticism this week at least

How could neither of those buffoons know how special and important that moment, and that jersey is?

Edited by '7'

23 minutes ago, '7' said:

Honestly they must be completely tone deaf. They have NO UNDERSTANDING of what's sacred to Mets fans and what's not. That's why Citi Field had too much Dodger influence, that's why they sold off this jersey. Wilpons may own the Mets, and they love their team...but they're completely out of touch with the hearts and minds of their fans.

And also thank goodness the Yankees Stubhub fiasco is ongoing with their top brass literally spitting on diehard fans so that sort of balances out the sports media deluge of criticism this week at least

How could neither of those buffoons know how special and important that moment, and that jersey is?

It's to the point that whatever their instincts tell them...they should do the opposite.  Every time.  They never get anything right.  Ever.