New York Mets 2016 Season Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

44 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Mets hitting .192 as a team, but have drawn 19 walks (.300 OB%).  Opponents hitting .219 off Met pitching, but the Mets have allowed just three free passes (.235 OB%).  Actually a little disappointing that they're only 2-2, but it's way early. 

I was with my daughter in my basement and was trying to watch both the Mets and the Devils on two different TVs, but did Cespedes hear some boos after his last K?  With his salary and personality, the lovefest some fans have with Cespedes is going to come to an end very soon if he doesn't start hitting. 

Seems that way according to NYFS.  I was at the Devils game in a suite for the finale so I didn't watch this one but I can't even blame anyone for being cranky that had to sit out there last night and watch every bad AB after bad AB.  Friday was cold enough, I'm sure last night was worse.

They ain't gonna pay you $200 million to be ordinary Matt.  Tell Boras.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

They ain't gonna pay you $200 million to be ordinary Matt.  Tell Boras.

Somebody will but it won't be the NYM.  He's already laid the ground work for that contract and he'll end up being pretty damn good this year. Me, personally, I can't stand the looks of him. Whenever he's out there its like their are 8 Mets on the field and this guy in all black on the mound. I would love to see him dealt for a good offensive player as soon as possible. I hate Matt Harvey. There are few pro sports players that I've ever felt that way about. I can't stand that guy with a passion. Hell, I'd even trade him to the Yankees. Put both of MLB hates together. They belong together like a bickering old ass married couple.

Edited by capo

So far, everything that's been an issue in spring training has carried over to the regular season.  

Re:  Harvey, we'll see.  Yeah, he should turn in a good year, but anybody can perform below expectations.  But both the 1986 and 2015 Mets started off 2-3, and I can probably find several 5-0 teams who went on to finish well below .500, so I can't throw any sh!tfits yet.  But these guys need to start fvcking hitting already.  

And Henderson...damn.  

Annoying start to the season considering how bad the Phillies are, but it's 5 games. Let's hope for better things vs the Fish.

CR, you may have noticed, but Tyler Pill showed up in the AA boxscore yesterday: 5 IP, 5 H, 4 ER, 2 BB, 4 K.

Glowing report on Robert Gsellman's velocity from his 1st start, via Baseball Prospectus:

I was up in Binghamton this weekend, so I missed him by a day. While not ideal, it wasn't the end of the world. That was, until I got the report that he had been sitting 93 and touching 98, which I confirmed when I got into town. This was not a hot stadium gun, this was the real deal. Gsellman touched 95 for me as a young turk in Brooklyn, but 98? And let's not forget that Binghamton in April is basically Hoth. There was a snowout the next day. This wasn't just for show either. Gsellman struggled to miss bats in his first taste of Double-A last Summer. He struck out under 13 percent of the batters he faced and didn't strike out more than six in a single start. In his first outing of 2016, he struck out seven of the 20 batters he faced. That'll play.

Of course you want to see him do this a few more times. Heck, I just want to see him do it myself, but a velocity bump of that order could change the conversation around Gsellman the prospect. Another young, athletic pitcher, showing a plus fastball/breaker combo, would be a big boon to a system suddenly bereft of impact arms. For now, he is just still a pretty good pitching prospect, but you can affix the adjective “intriguing” as well. —Jeff Paternostro

Edited by nmigliore

21 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

Annoying start to the season considering how bad the Phillies are, but it's 5 games. Let's hope for better things vs the Fish.

CR, you may have noticed, but Tyler Pill showed up in the AA boxscore yesterday: 5 IP, 5 H, 4 ER, 2 BB, 4 K.

Hadn't looked actually (I was too annoyed by this weekend), re:  Pill.  I know it's only one start for him, and maybe Vegas just wasn't conducive to his stuff, but like you pointed out earlier, he wasn't any great shakes to begin with, and it looks like he peaked as a prospect before the 2015 season. 

16 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

Glowing report on Robert Gsellman's velocity from his 1st start, via Baseball Prospectus:

That's great news...I've pointed it out before, but all of the dealing last season really killed a lot of the depth within the system (and I'm not knocking them for it...the only deal that I wasn't happy with on the day it was made was Cespedes because I didn't want to lose Fulmer).  That's really the main reason why I'm keeping tabs on Matt Bowman...not because he projects as anything special, but because the Mets are suddenly so strapped for young arms, and he's one who could come back the Verrett route. 

As we know all too friggin' well, it's so hard to plan around a pitching staff these days...Harvey may have already peaked in the majors (doesn't mean he can't still be good going forward...just means he may not be awesome), and deGrom is having physical issues.  I'll believe deGrom's lat isn't a big deal when I see him make a bunch of starts in a row without issue. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Yeah, I remember saying after 2013 that Harvey's year may end up being his peak season, results-wise (2.27 ERA, 2.00 FIP). He was still terrific last season but not quite on 2013 level. deGrom really concerns me with the velocity. I know I'm beating a dead horse but this fastball velocity graph is a bit scary:

10954_P_FA_20160408.png

I'm not buying it's the lat issue since that is a "new" thing and the down velocity was happening in ST, but we'll see. Assuming nothing is wrong with his arm, which is a big assumption, one silver lining is that deGrom was still really good in 2014 with sub-95 mph velocity.

Completely agree on the status of the pitching prospects - it's a cycle; when you graduate so many arms and move some others, the system is going to end up hitting a valley. Gsellman may be the most intriguing arm in the minors at this point, although I'm not giving up on Montero yet either.

Edited by nmigliore

What's scary about starting pitchers is that they don't tend to turn in year after year after year of dominating performances, and the hard throwers often lose their velocity.  Barry Zito is a great example of the peak-early guy.  Gooden was clearly not the same pitcher after 1986.  As great as it is to have the guys with the potential the Mets have, the window may not be nearly as long as some would like to believe. 

Matz sucking today.  Guy hasn't pitched in 10 days, so hard to get on him.  

13 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Matz sucking today.  Guy hasn't pitched in 10 days, so hard to get on him.  

Thing is this is where I and other people might start to pump the brakes on Matz a little.  He's been constantly talked about in the same sentence with the true big three as if it was a big four but he doesn't have anywhere near their track record.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I'm starting to sour on Robles...actually never really liked him that much. His stuff is not that impressive, he has this annoying habit of pointing to the sky on EVERY fly ball. Even home runs he's like "YEP POPUP!" and let's face it, he's a nibbler. I think his future is a back of the bullpen guy who will get in trouble every year for being a hot head/quick pitcher who pisses off the opposition but isn't actually good enough to get them out consistently.

I think today was a classic example of where a good solid vet catcher would have helped Matz get through this today. TdA is helping no one. There is no way a Gary Carter is calling for the bullsh!t Matz was throwing. These young pitchers need a cerebral catcher to help them through these rough spots on the hill. 

9 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Thing is this is where I and other people might start to pump the brakes on Matz a little.  He's been constantly talked about in the same sentence with the true big three as if it was a big four but he doesn't have anywhere near their track record.

I agree, I said the same thing a while back.  I think he's going to have a much more developmental-type season, complete with growing pains.  

It's so early that I don't want to go too crazy dishing out blame, but I think the Terry Collins watch will start very soon if this team doesn't turn it around.  

22-year-old right-hander Gabriel Ynoa (turns 23 on May 23) with 5 solid innings in his Vegas debut yesterday.  Not exactly eye-popping numbers in the minors to this point; he had a strong year in A ball in 2013, but has been meh since.  In 2014 and 2015 (A+ and AA ball), he's pitched 300.2 IP and allowed 326 hits, 133 ER, 30 HR, 56 BB (his most impressive number...guy has been a control beast his entire minor-league career), 188 K, and a 1.27 WHIP, with a 3.98 ERA.  Clearly not a dominator.  We'll see what the PCL does to him. 

What's also interesting is that he hits a lot of batters...19 in 646.1 career minor-league innings (including 10 in the sample size shown above).  Guess he's not afraid to pitch inside.

A little more on Ynoa:

http://www.amazinavenue.com/2015/2/10/8016173/new-york-mets-gabriel-ynoa-minor-league-pitching-prospect

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Ugly outing by Matz, but going 10 days without a start must've had some factor. I also agree that people are being unfair by lumping him in with the Big 3. I like him, but there's bound to be growing pains. Not every elite arm comes up and dominates right out of the gate - we've been very spoiled with Harvey, deGrom, and Thor in recent years (and even Matz's first taste of MLB late last season and the playoffs).

Ynoa is right there with Gsellman as one of the top pitching prospects in the system (which again says more about the system than it does either of those two). He'll be interesting to follow in Vegas - he throws lots of strikes with okay stuff but his strikeouts have been trending in the wrong direction with each level he moves up. I'm afraid his profile looks like the type that might get torched in the PCL but at least his first start went decently.

Montero is apparently on the way up, per Rubin.

Edited by nmigliore

From Rubin:

Rafael Montero, not Sean Gilmartin, has been summoned by the Mets to New York from Las Vegas. The Mets needed the extra arm after the bullpen logged 7 1/3 innings in relief of Steven Matz in Monday's series opener against the Marlins.

http://espn.go.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0511584603476073212-4

So basically if Syndergaard or Verrett (hopefully not BOTH) have to exit early, Montero will eat up a bunch of innings so the other guys can get some rest.  It's a nice opportunity for him, at any rate, to show he can get major-league hitters out.   

Yoenis you fvcking fraud.  Can't say I'm that surprised though.  This was never a slamdunk signing, though a lot of Met fans treated it like it was, and many wanted to overlook his many warts that have been on full display in 2016. 

Nice hit by Duda to give the Mets a lead.

Hard to know what's more likely...a UFO sighting or David Wright driving in a run. 

Tim Timmons with a strike 3 to d'Arnaud that was basically at his feet. Awful umpiring

I get the idea we're not going to see much from Yoenis until the temperature is above 60 degrees consistently. You've heard of guys who are not bad weather QB's? Well Cespedes just flat out wants nothing to do with the game when it's like this. He even made a comment to the media the other day about it.

Thor dealing through 5. We need 7+ out of him tonight. 97 on the gun with ease.

Marlins man behind home plate is irritating the hell out of me

And again...yea the weather probably has something to do with it but this team has shown zero in terms of power through nearly 7 games is pretty sad.

Edited by '7'