2018 JETS

Beezer34

41 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Apparently the Jets are cutting David Harris too...why now? I guess getting Davis back was the excuse they needed to shed more age?

Harris is painfully slow. He was last season and if OTA's showed that he lost another step...then we really have no use for him anymore. He's been an outstanding Jet for most of his career. Hopefully he can catch on with a competitive team in a backup role.

25 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

And to nobody's surprise Decker's on his way out too.  I just don't understand why you had to go through part of minicamp/OTA's with these guys before cutting them.

Probably to look and see what they have in the tank.

I would've kept Decker. You need a player like Decker to work with a Hackenberg or Petty. This is a bad cut. 

They are truly, unquestionably aiming for 1-15 or 0-16 at this point and Sam Darnold (or Josh Allen)

11 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I almost forgot about him he was so insignificant last year lol...but yeah that wouldn't shock me either.

Better yet trade. In fact I hope both are traded. They do have value. Both Forte and Decker. More so Forte since he didn't undergo multiple surgeries last year.

Apparently the Jets tried to get Steve Smith out of retirement this offseason lol. Seems like they were trying another band aid approach with being in on Hightower and other FA's and then shifted to the full tank. That's the only thing that sort of makes sense.

15 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Apparently the Jets tried to get Steve Smith out of retirement this offseason lol. Seems like they were trying another band aid approach with being in on Hightower and other FA's and then shifted to the full tank. That's the only thing that sort of makes sense.

Wow. Steve Smith here kind of reeked of Derrick Mason part 2. But at least Smith's tough as nails and a gamer. I'm guessing if we went out and got Cutler then that would've been the plan.

Hightower made sense even for a rebuild since he was 27.

Jets are trying to set themselves up for 2019 and beyond, and I don't blame them...they'll get knocked here and there for it now, but if they draft the right QB and use their cap space wisely, they can definitely set themselves up for a nice multi-year run, and not only will everyone forget 2017 if this works out, but they'll also compliment the Jets on having the balls to not try to Band-Aid their way to 8-10 wins...and the "New Jets" could possibly be emerging just as the Pats' empire finally starts to crumble.  Great runs don't last forever, and as we've seen, once one run ends, there's not necessarily another one waiting around the corner.  Crazy as it sounds, I think the Jets are going about this the right way...this could really pay off...especially if they go and get the right coach, once this team is getting close to being ready. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1 hour ago, '7' said:

Jets have signed Spencer Paysinger.

Yup. We added McCown & Paysinger.. and said goodbye to Mangold, Harris, Decker, Marshall, Revis, Pryor.. and (probably) Sheldon and\or Mo up next.

Tickets were $5 last season. This season the Jets may very well be playing in an empty stadium, and I'm being very serious when I say that. Games may be blacked out.

47 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Jets are trying to set themselves up for 2019 and beyond, and I don't blame them...they'll get knocked here and there for it now, but if they draft the right QB and use their cap space wisely, they can definitely set themselves up for a nice multi-year run, and not only will everyone forget 2017 if this works out, but they'll also compliment the Jets on having the balls to not try to Band-Aid their way to 8-10 wins...and the "New Jets" could possibly be emerging just as the Pats' empire finally starts to crumble.  Great runs don't last forever, and as we've seen, once one run ends, there's not necessarily another one waiting around the corner.  Crazy as it sounds, I think the Jets are going about this the right way...this could really pay off...especially if they go and get the right coach, once this team is getting close to being ready. 

I think if there's ever a season to do the blow it up approach it's now with the Pats still a super team and the Fish a playoff caliber one. Unlike the NBA or NHL you aren't dependent on the lottery to get top picks either which is why I'm less enthused about doing it there.

I just wish I had more confidence in Macc being the guy you trust drafts to though even he's better than Idzik.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Jets have signed Spencer Paysinger.

I hated him as a Fin. He should assist your tank nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup. We added McCown & Paysinger.. and said goodbye to Mangold, Harris, Decker, Marshall, Revis, Pryor.. and (probably) Sheldon and\or Mo up next.
Tickets were $5 last season. This season the Jets may very well be playing in an empty stadium, and I'm being very serious when I say that. Games may be blacked out.

We'll pack the place in week three, no worries there. [emoji14]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I think if there's ever a season to do the blow it up approach it's now with the Pats still a super team and the Fish a playoff caliber one. Unlike the NBA or NHL you aren't dependent on the lottery to get top picks either which is why I'm less enthused about doing it there.

I just wish I had more confidence in Macc being the guy you trust drafts to though even he's better than Idzik.

Well at least with Mac he gets the obvious picks. Some NFL GM's can't even do that. And under him we've done a better job uncovering talent and finding value. I have heard great things about Sefarian-Jenkins dropping 20lbs and looking great. Robbie Anderson was a nice undrafted find. Wesley Johnson looked ok. Steve McLendon was a nice pickup.

9 hours ago, Beezer34 said:

I don't think that can happen since every seat is sold, it's just a matter of people not showing up. I don't think the Jets have had a blackout game since the 70s

But yes, the crowds will be pathetic this year. 

Sheldon is definitely gone. I dont think they want to risk an injury and trade him mid season. Would be surprised if he is on the field for us in Buffalo week 1.

Edited by '7'

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 11:22 PM, '7' said:

But yes, the crowds will be pathetic this year.

..and they can deal me out too. I'll watch preseason for some laughs, but that's it. The days of me giving up my Sunday afternoons to have my intelligence insulted are officially over. If\when the organization can show me something sustainable, then I'll be back. Until then....

When was the last time an NFL team really tanked a season from the very start?  I can't really think of one off the top of my head.  There was the whole suck for Luck,  but the Colts didn't necessarily expect that Manning would be out the entire year.  I know the Dolphins were in that conversation, but they weren't doing what the Jets really appear to be doing now.

6 hours ago, Daniel said:

When was the last time an NFL team really tanked a season from the very start?  I can't really think of one off the top of my head.  There was the whole suck for Luck,  but the Colts didn't necessarily expect that Manning would be out the entire year.  I know the Dolphins were in that conversation, but they weren't doing what the Jets really appear to be doing now.

The Browns last year.  

10 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

The Browns last year.  

Eh, the Browns hired a new coach and signed a veteran QB who might have been able to rekindle past glory.  They were also close in a lot of games and traded for Jamie Collins.  And it wasn't like there was a touted group of QBs in the coming draft. 

It doesn't seem like the Jets even attempted to get someone who might be a passable NFL QB.  When your starter might be someone who's hitting reporters with passes in practice in OTAs, it really looks like you're trying to lose as many games as possible.

20 hours ago, Daniel said:

1986 Bucs for Testaverde. A beleaguered and helpless Steve Young taking a beating every game

I think the Patriots and Seahawks were probably both tanking in 1992 for Mirer/Bledsoe.

I'm not 100% sure it will be Darnold either. The Jets may be gunning for Josh Allen.

The one thing though is our D is not crap talent wise top to bottom. It can very easily be anywhere between say 10-16th in the league. Hard to believe our D line with that personnel will be as terrible next year. Adams is supposedly already a stud at safety and Maye is another upgrade. Revis is addition by subtraction. The Jets will be losing a lot of 16-6 games.

Jets can be anywhere between 1-15 and 6-10. 6-10 is tough to see though.

Edited by '7'

Pats didn't tank, sadly enough...they had just become that poorly run, from top to bottom...a complete mess in every possible way.  If not for Parcells (and later Kraft), that team is no longer in Foxborough.  

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

Eh, the Browns hired a new coach and signed a veteran QB who might have been able to rekindle past glory.  They were also close in a lot of games and traded for Jamie Collins.  And it wasn't like there was a touted group of QBs in the coming draft. 

It doesn't seem like the Jets even attempted to get someone who might be a passable NFL QB.  When your starter might be someone who's hitting reporters with passes in practice in OTAs, it really looks like you're trying to lose as many games as possible.

That hitting reporters thing was clickbait. I saw the pass actually, it was posted online. It was a catchable ball that the receiver totally alligator armed and the reporters were maybe 1 yard from the sideline. I don't have high hopes for Hackenberg but he's actually shown progress so far. That particular story wasn't fair to him however.

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, '7' said:

Hackenberg has still made several rookie mistakes, but he looks much better than McCown/Petty. McCown dreadful today #jets

— Connor Hughes (@Connor_J_Hughes) July 31, 2017

Christian Hackenberg has been the clear best QB in the Jets first padded practice today.

— Manish Mehta (@MMehtaNYDN) July 31, 2017

It's not saying much but...hey it's something. At least he doesn't look like some confused nobody who can never make it. Hopefully this continues, but beating out McCown (forget Petty he's not even on the radar anymore as far as I'm concerned) is not a big deal. Let's see if McCown gets his act together (maybe he's a slow starting vet)...would be encouraging to see Hackenberg beat out McCown by a wide margin though.

Also no INT's in 3 practices for Hack. It won't continue but still very good to see.

Edited by '7'

I kinda liked Jamal Adams response to the CTE question, knowing that it shouldn't be taken literally.  From his interview with Francessa after the draft and the way he's handling himself thus far, guy looks like he's going to be a real pro and warrior.  I hate the Jets (although not nearly as much as the Rangers) but like Adams a lot.  If the Jets can successfully pull off their tank this year, get their QB and land a few more players, in a few years, we could be back to the days when the Dolphins and the Jets ruled the AFC East.