2018 WJC Thread

Derlique

8 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Casey Middelstadt is tearing it up in this tournament. Sabres got a hell of a player. 

People tend to go crazy over WJC results.  Jesse Puljarvi tore it up at a younger age, and he has still not cemented himself as an NHL regular.  

Im sure there are lots of other WJC standouts who didn’t amount to much as pros.  

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

People tend to go crazy over WJC results.  Jesse Puljarvi tore it up at a younger age, and he has still not cemented himself as an NHL regular.  

Im sure there are lots of other WJC standouts who didn’t amount to much as pros.  

Wasn’t it the WJC that vaulted Nico up the draft boards? 

3 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

Yea that Slovakia game is hurting us big time. I'd expect a victory, but would've much preferred to see Russia in the semis. We'll see what happens. 

I think its going to be a tough game, I won't be surprised either way honestly if we win or lose. I'm debating going to the gold medal game depending on if we make it. 

4 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I think its going to be a tough game, I won't be surprised either way honestly if we win or lose. I'm debating going to the gold medal game depending on if we make it. 

No, I won't be surprised if Russia pulls it out of course. This US group hasn't impressed as a whole, although I didn't see the Finland game. A real solid amount of talent, as usual, but the power play is horrendous, the goaltending has been bad, and they just can't seem to put anything together on the offensive side. Sounds silly after a 5 goal performance against Finland, but the Slovakia and Canada games were atrocious offensively. 

I would've probably planned to try to go to the knockout stage if it wasn't for the outdoor game. If there was any chance I could be there for a potential gold medal game, I'd absolutely go. Over the last handful of years, this has become one of my favorite parts of the hockey schedule. And between next year in Vancouver, 2020 in Prague, and 2021 in Canada presumably not Toronto and/or Montreal, who knows when the next time it will be within a day's drive will be. Have to hope that undecided Canadian one will be in Ottawa or Quebec, maybe Southern Ontario like Hamilton. We can assume the US will rotate its next few bids around the country as well. I had a ton of fun at this one and can't wait until the next tournament close enough to get to. 

• Like 1

NHL.com article (Julie R) on Zetterlund: https://www.nhl.com/devils/news/improved-zetterlund-proves-versatile-for-sweden-at-wjc/c-294570252

snippet: 

"We felt after the U18 World Championship that he wasn't good enough," Monten said. "But he came with us at the end of August to Finland and he was really good there and I told him straight away that he's going to come with us to Russia in November to try out and he just keeps getting better." 

Monten said the biggest difference in Zetterlund's game the past six months has been his physical play. 

"He had a good summer in the weight room," he said. "Before he just played with speed and skill. Now, he plays with grit and works hard and uses his body. It makes a big difference as far as where and how we can use him."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CommonDreads said:

Was at the Sweden - Switzerland game on Saturday that Zetterlund scored in, was really impressed with his play in that game. Reminds me so much of Patric Hornqvist, not the tallest guy but he's a real pest on the forecheck and is so strong on the puck

How did you feel about Boqvist?

22 minutes ago, nessus said:

How did you feel about Boqvist?

Thought he played well, had some good shifts in the o-zone and has a good release on his shot, kid can really fire it and he can do it in stride as well. It's a shame he got nicked up in that game because we didn't get to see him in the 3rd, but I thought he looked good in the 1st and 2nd.

Also went to the Canada-Denmark game on Saturday and the USA-Finland game on Sunday. Thought Canada played a sloppy game against Denmark but I thought McLeod was one of Canada's better forwards in that game, it's a shame the coaching staff doesn't give him more responsibility because I think he's one of the best players on that team. Joey Anderson was great against Finland even without the 2 goals, think he could develop into a real good middle 6 forward for us, was also impressed with Rasmus Kupari on Finland who's draft eligible this year.

Edited by CommonDreads
  • Like 2

I only caught overtime and the shootout, but OT looked like a Finland power play for stretches. Very surprised the Czechs pulled it off. The broadcasters were saying this game was a coin flip, but I don't know where they got that from. The Czechs had an OK prelim round and beat Russia, but I don't understand what could've suggested to anyone that Finland wasn't a heavy favorite. Either way, good news for the US that a gold medal contender is out, but I'm not sure I saw them having the fire power to get passed Canada. Their blue line was ridiculous, though, more than half were first round picks, two were top 10.

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

Hart having to be the last one off the ice to the point where he's waiting 5 mins after the period ends to finally leave cause the backup Swiss goalie is hanging out on the ice on purpose is absolutely fvcking stupid. Grow up and get over this stupid pointless superstition that doesn't do sh!t. 

Oh man, a guy like that is just asking to be messed with. I’d ask a teammate to bring my clothes out and I’d get changed right on the ice. 

• Like 1