NFL 2017 Offseason

NJDevs4978

If that was the case and this report is correct, I still play Butler. His presence may have been the difference between winning and losing for them. This isn't week 6 in Buffalo, this is the Super Bowl. If you're an NFL coach and confronted with this at the 11th hour, you break the rules you set, you become a hypocrite, you win the SB, and you discipline him later.

BB sat Welker for a quarter in a playoff game just cause he went off script and played on Rex’s foot fetish, I could definitely see BB offing Butler for something far more serious. Then again he could have just outthought himself too

Edited by NJDevs4978

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

BB sat Welker for a quarter in a playoff game just cause he went off script and played on Rex’s foot fetish, I could definitely see BB offing Butler for something far more serious. Then again he could have just outthought himself too

It's only a matter of time before we find out much of what led to Butler's benching...none of this stuff stays completely secret anymore. 

That being said, in a way BB had already severely punished him by sitting him out on D in the first half...even doing "only" that would've sent a message to everyone that yes, it's still BB's way or the highway...it would've been nice if there had been a "OK, you fvcked up, are you ready to go now?" moment at halftime...BB could've played him in the second half as Puppet's D was getting shredded (and though Brady being Brady has often covered up for BB and Puppet's not-great Ds, the fact is their D hasn't been terribly good for many years...the 2014-15 unit was an exception, but for some reason, they can never seem to get to the QBs enough...and always gave up a lot of yards.  It was actually amazing that Brady & Co. had a chance to pull off another miracle at the end, given that Puppet's D was fvcking worthless for much of the game (though to be fair, like '7' pointed out, the Eagles made some pretty damned good plays on O). 

I'm still amazed that Puppet is going to be a HC in the NFL...he was the guy who's unit often had to be overcome.   

I think the Patriots for some time deliberately styled their defenses to be bend but not break. Between the 20's they did not play super aggressive or expend that much energy early in game, but as teams got closer they changed things up and started to show some different looks and played for real. Even when they gave up tons of yards they also seemed to get a lot of red zone INTS. Basically all they wanted to do was hold their opponents to field goals because they knew Brady was scoring touchdowns at the other end. At the end of the game when they needed legit stops asap their D always seemed fresher and ready.

What Belichick is great at is situational defense, much like how in baseball you have to be great at situational hitting. He may let you go 50 yards quite easily, but on a 3rd and 2 when your offense is rolling he'll pull out a look you've never seen and have a blitz that either sacks you for 10 yards or forces your O-line to drag someone down for a penalty. He's very rope a dope with his D.

Problem is that two nights ago the Eagles execution was Patriots level perfect. Every needle they needed to thread they did. The Jaguars in that situation got scared and wilted. The Falcons got scared and played stupid, but the Eagles were too well coached and prepared

This game also highlighted what an absolute monster Gronkowski. Him and Brady just willed the Patriots back into the lead. It's almost funny watching him catch a football because it looks so small in his hands. It's like he's pulling down a nerf mini football. You also have to credit them for losing Cooks and the offense not missing a beat.

The thing that NE was not prepared for was the Eagles O line pushing them around like they did. This was the game you needed a Vince Wilfork type impact player

Edited by '7'

Where have I seen this before?

Anyway, I actually don't think there was any ill intent here. This was something sudden that came down where he was promised to be Patriots coach either this year or next (2 years down the line would be too long to wait it out). And of course everybody would elect to stay in NE and that franchise over the uncertainty of Indy and Lucks injury.

If I'm the NY Giants I work every backchannel I can to get Belichick there. And if you have to be the scumbags and fire Shurmur before his name is even on the door...so be it. You do it.

45 minutes ago, Daniel said:

They're saying this also might have something to do with Kraft wanting revenge for the Colts' role in deflategate.  He apparently upped the offer to McDaniels at the last minute to get him to stay.

I'm sure that had something to do with it. But how dumb are the Colts? He didn't sign the contract but you already get on your social media megaphone and announce he's your coach and start selling McDaniels Colts visors. Were they aware at all he was still negotiating with Kraft to the very end?

10 minutes ago, '7' said:

I'm sure that had something to do with it. But how dumb are the Colts? He didn't sign the contract but you already get on your social media megaphone and announce he's your coach and start selling McDaniels Colts visors. Were they aware at all he was still negotiating with Kraft to the very end?

I'm almost positive what happened is that McDaniels unequivocally told the Colts he was taking the job, but didn't sign anything.  Whether he said this after the Super Bowl is not clear.  Still, when it comes to stuff like that, people almost always keep their word, so it wasn't totally unreasonable for the Colts to jump the gun, except that they should have known that they were dealing with a potentially vindictive adversary in Kraft.  That Irsay is a little weasel would make Kraft want to get back at his team even more.

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I'm almost positive what happened is that McDaniels unequivocally told the Colts he was taking the job, but didn't sign anything.  Whether he said this after the Super Bowl is not clear.  Still, when it comes to stuff like that, people almost always keep their word, so it wasn't totally unreasonable for the Colts to jump the gun, except that they should have known that they were dealing with a potentially vindictive adversary in Kraft.  That Irsay is a little weasel would make Kraft want to get back at his team even more.

Yea Irsay is like a 60 year old Ed Hardy club bro. I actually think this goes back even further to where Polian complained about the Patriots defensive backs in a playoff game and got the rules changed.

Colts have sent out mixed signals since news broke. Some reports say they were anticipating this decision, some are saying they are speechless and in shock. The two assistants that McDaniels brought in are staying apparently

2 hours ago, '7' said:

Yea Irsay is like a 60 year old Ed Hardy club bro. I actually think this goes back even further to where Polian complained about the Patriots defensive backs in a playoff game and got the rules changed.

Colts have sent out mixed signals since news broke. Some reports say they were anticipating this decision, some are saying they are speechless and in shock. The two assistants that McDaniels brought in are staying apparently

Yeah, any assistants that were contracted are now staying.  What HC is going to take that job knowing he can't pick (some of) his assistants?  

This is a total clown show.  Indy would be the laughingstock of the league if Cleveland didn't exist.

57 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

And just watching that game, New England had no idea what Philly was doing on offense at any point in time ever. And aside from the strip sack Philly had no clue either

• Like 1

mcdaniels has some balls believing anything bellicheat says.. because absolutely nobody is hiring him now .. and no filming, no top D.. sorry bill thats too obvious now  .. your greatness is a fraud

If you're McDaniels, you don't do what he did unless you get it in writing, as in a clause in his deal that says Belichick is out by 2019, and absolutely no later than 2020. That HAS to be the case. There's no way on earth you don't have that protection in this type of a situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

If you're McDaniels, you don't do what he did unless you get it in writing, as in a clause in his deal that says Belichick is out by 2019, and absolutely no later than 2020. That HAS to be the case. There's no way on earth you don't have that protection in this type of a situation.

His agent quit ... those guys are all scoundrels.. cheating dirty scoundrels 

His agent quit ... those guys are all scoundrels.. cheating dirty scoundrels 

That's true... Then it would be on McDaniels himself to make sure it's in there in writing, clear as day. You don't need to be an agent to do that, and I'm sure he hired an attorney to go over the language with a fine tooth comb. I mean, who knows, maybe he didn't do any of these things and he's just a total dope, but these are the steps a logical human being with common sense takes when taking a risk as enormous as this.

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

That's true... Then it would be on McDaniels himself to make sure it's in there in writing, clear as day. You don't need to be an agent to do that, and I'm sure he hired an attorney to go over the language with a fine tooth comb. I mean, who knows, maybe he didn't do any of these things and he's just a total dope, but these are the steps a logical human being with common sense takes when taking a risk as enormous as this.

I’m almost positive there’s nothing in writing, because it would probably be unenforceable and neither side would really want to commit to something like that, especially the Patriots no matter how much Kraft wanted to stick it to the Colts or how much credibility McDaniels loses around the league.  I mean, what if McDaniels time comes in two years, but Brady decides to retire and he’s stuck with Brian Hoyer as his QB? 

I’m almost positive there’s nothing in writing, because it would probably be unenforceable and neither side would really want to commit to something like that, especially the Patriots no matter how much Kraft wanted to stick it to the Colts or how much credibility McDaniels loses around the league.  I mean, what if McDaniels time comes in two years, but Brady decides to retire and he’s stuck with Brian Hoyer as his QB? 

You'd think there's some type of Brady succession plan in the works, seeing as how Jimmy G is gone now. If the Pats draft a QB this year, the clock restarts- it's a young protege on a rookie contract for four years that sits and learns from one of the all-time greats to ever do it. Brady is not going to be the Patriot QB in four years, no matter what he says. Like I said, McDaniels very well may have not gotten written assurances, but if he didn't, he's dumber than I thought.