Devils to wear original whites as Alternate Jerseys for 2018-19

Devils Pride 26

Alternate Jerseys  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Throwback based or black based?

• Throwback
    • Black

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Just about everything after the (self-titled) Black album barely registers with me, as far as Metallica goes.  Death Magnetic is decent, but it was very "by the numbers"...basically "Well everyone keeps talking about how great Master of Puppets was, so let's just do a (pale) imitation of that sound, and our fans will forget about St. Anger!"  Their last album is OK too, but they clearly peaked with Master of Puppets.  Just curious if your boss feels the same.  They just lost me with the Load/Re-Load crap. 

Very good assessment. Though I enjoy "King Nothing", for obvious reasons. 

28867401048_6d9f26eab2_b.jpg

Edited by mfitz804
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Very good assessment. Though I enjoy "King Nothing", for obvious reasons. 

Metallica were friggin' GODS to me in my mid-teens/early 20s.  I've always seen the Black album as tolerable...not bad, but just not as good as previous efforts.  There's re-mixes of "...And Justice for All" that have the bass properly mixed (as in "you can actually hear it"), that gives that album new life, in spite of the somewhat sterile production.  Load got a "blah" from me, Reload even more of a "blah", and St. Anger was just a complete mess. 

But yeah, "King Nothing" will always hold a special place in my heart, for exactly the reason you posted.  I don't care that it's not all his fault.  The whole "King Nothing" thing just works too friggin' well.  And never stops being funny.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Metallica were friggin' GODS to me in my mid-teens/early 20s.  I've always seen the Black album as tolerable...not bad, but just not as good as previous efforts.  There's re-mixes of "...And Justice for All" that have the bass properly mixed (as in "you can actually hear it"), that gives that album new life, in spite of the somewhat sterile production.  Load got a "blah" from me, Reload even more of a "blah", and St. Anger was just a complete mess. 

But yeah, "King Nothing" will always hold a special place in my heart, for exactly the reason you posted.  I don't care that it's not all his fault.  The whole "King Nothing" thing just works too friggin' well.  And never stops being funny.

Metallica never really did it for me.  I totally understand why people think they are good and I think their first few albums are very good, if not excellent albums.  They just were really not my sound.  As you know, I was more of a Iron Maiden and Judas Priest kind of guy for 80's metal, especially JP:)

23 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Metallica never really did it for me.  I totally understand why people think they are good and I think their first few albums are very good, if not excellent albums.  They just were really not my sound.  As you know, I was more of a Iron Maiden and Judas Priest kind of guy for 80's metal, especially JP:)

First three albums:  awesome.  First two got even better with age.  Master of Puppets couldn't get any better than it already was.  One of THE best metal albums of all time.

...And Justice for All:  hasn't aged as well.  The production felt very dry, most of the songs were too long, and James himself admitted this when they started playing them live...he said they were not only tiring to play, but that he often saw spectators starting to yawn during the longest numbers...that's why the band eventually performed a medley of AJFA tunes.  Lars' lack of natural talent and feel also began to rear their ugly heads more and more in live settings, as this albums' more intricate arrangements and timing changes were harder for him to pull off live (Dyer's Eve had taken him weeks to record properly in the studio...he actually had to give up on it and come back to it after several weeks).  The improved bass mix version helps this one a LOT, but it's still a step down from the first three.  Also the beginning of Metallica starting to lose a bit of their Everyman, almost underground appeal.

The Black Album:  Metallica clearly eschewed the "more is more" approach taken during AJFA, and went with a more streamlined approach that definitely alienated some fans (less thrashy, with borderline pop elements), but the album's accessibility opened up the doors for a lot of new fans to jump aboard.  Not bad on its own, listenable enough, but unfortunately led to the inferior Load and Reload albums. 

After Reload, I often picture Cliff rising from the grave, grabbing James, Kirk, and Lars, and screaming "What the hell happened to you guys and what have you done to this band?!"  They lost a lot when they lost Cliff, even if the albums kept selling. 

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

I enjoy Mettalica, but couldn't tell you 3 albums.

Priest and Maiden on the other hand...............metal Gods.   Just saw Priest at the Rock a few months ago. I hate when bands age, but they did pretty well.

• Like 1

Just now, Jimmy Leeds said:

Priest and Maiden on the other hand...............metal Gods.   Just saw Priest at the Rock a few months ago. I hate when bands age, but they did pretty well.

Admittedly I have only seen Priest once and that was back in 2005 for their Angel of Retribution tour.  It was their first tour since they reunited and it was largely pretty good.  Only complaint other than the venue (I absolutely hate PNC Bank Arts Center) was the set list.  A lot from their pre-British Steel era.

11 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Admittedly I have only seen Priest once and that was back in 2005 for their Angel of Retribution tour.  It was their first tour since they reunited and it was largely pretty good.  Only complaint other than the venue (I absolutely hate PNC Bank Arts Center) was the set list.  A lot from their pre-British Steel era.

I actually like a lot of that stuff and used to listen to it all quite a bit in the mid-80s, but I could understand why a lot of fans might not be into that era of Priest.  British Steel was really the beginning of the more "modern" Priest sound (followed of course by Point of Entry, Screaming for Vengeance, and Defenders of the Faith). 

13 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

I saw Maiden in June 2017 at the Rock, and they were awesome.  Both Priest and Maiden were gods to me in the early 80s (as was Ozzy).  I segued to Metallica, Slayer and others as the 80s wore on...still dug Priest and Maiden though. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I actually like a lot of that stuff and used to listen to it all quite a bit in the mid-80s, but I could understand why a lot of fans might not be into that era of Priest.  British Steel was really the beginning of the more "modern" Priest sound (followed of course by Point of Entry, Screaming for Vengeance, and Defenders of the Faith). 

I saw Maiden in June 2017 at the Rock, and they were awesome.  Both Priest and Maiden were gods to me in the early 80s (as was Ozzy).  I segued to Metallica, Slayer and others as the 80s wore on...still dug Priest and Maiden though. 

I do like some of the pre-British Steel era stuff, but they were going heavy into Sad Wings of Destiny and Sin after Sin albums.  Would have been better if they went a little more into Stained Class and Killing Machine if they wanted to go into pre-British Steel.

They really didn't do much from Point of Entry through Ram It Down era.  Really those albums combined they did maybe 3 songs.  They did do about 3-4 songs from Painkiller which was great, and Touch of Evil was awesome hearing live.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

First three albums:  awesome.  First two got even better with age.  Master of Puppets couldn't get any better than it already was.  One of THE best metal albums of all time.

As a 13-14 year old guitarist, that album was a source of much frustration for me. The music is so well composed. Welcome Home (Sanitarium) is possibly one of the best metal songs ever written. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Aside from being a Pats fan, your boss sounds like a pretty cool guy lol.

I am actually really lucky at where I am at.  Every single boss from my direct boss to the CEO are really cool people.  Our director is one of the few here who would let us out of work early with pay if business is slow on some days.  Typically it is between 1-3 hours early.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I saw Maiden in June 2017 at the Rock, and they were awesome.  Both Priest and Maiden were gods to me in the early 80s (as was Ozzy). 

I saw Maiden at Radio City Music Hall in December of '85 on the Powerslave Tour.  WOW what a show

And I saw Priest, 4th row, in '86 (I think) during the Turbo tour at Continental AA.  My ears rang for 2 days.

I did miss the combo Maiden/Priest tour in '84 unfortunately

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Holy sh!t, our thirds could be so much worse... hell this is even worse than the Bing Devils unis and that’s very hard to top

I like the colors and the simplicity, but daaaamn, those white stripes look reeeeaaally bad.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah that is pretty terrible. 

What in actual fvck?!  Oh my those are really bad, though I think numbers on the upper sleeves will help a little.