Goose being let loose. Devils seeking to end Contract

titans04

17 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

gotta be difficult to fully-meld with the team when you barely speak a word of English too

Not like other guys haven't had to deal with the language barrier before.  And that wasn't an issue when he put up 30 points in 37 GP last season.

For all we know, maybe the USA (or this particular part of it) just doesn't feel like home to him...could be a case of him not being happy, and that unhappiness affecting him on the ice.  I still think he winds up back in the K.   

1 hour ago, BlueSkirt said:

ooh, suddenly we have lots of jersey numbers available !

any star players with 19, 21, or 97 are now welcome here

Connor McDavid, come on down!  

• Like 1

I still believe Goose has the talent to be an NHL player. Whatever happened with the long layoff, management change, Covid, etc has affected him for the worse. I hope he finds a home somewhere and gets it going again. It wasn't like he's been the only guy on the team or in the league who is struggling for one reason or another. 

You have to believe it’s at least a little bit about his work ethic and his attitude. For example, Johnsson has been awful, but has remained in the lineup, was not waived (yet) or released (yet). In fact, he’s one of only 6 guys who have played all 38. 

Goose had 5 points in 20 games. Johnsson has 8 in 38. Yet, he is still in the lineup night after night, while Goose was healthy scratched, waived, and now banished from the state of New Jersey. 

Has to be a reason. Maybe because Johnsson has more years left on his deal. Or maybe Johnsson has the right attitude, practices hard, etc. and Goose just didn’t, and our new coach was not enthused. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

You have to believe it’s at least a little bit about his work ethic and his attitude. For example, Johnsson has been awful, but has remained in the lineup, was not waived (yet) or released (yet). In fact, he’s one of only 6 guys who have played all 38. 

Goose had 5 points in 20 games. Johnsson has 8 in 38. Yet, he is still in the lineup night after night, while Goose was healthy scratched, waived, and now banished from the state of New Jersey. 

Has to be a reason. Maybe because Johnsson has more years left on his deal. Or maybe Johnsson has the right attitude, practices hard, etc. and Goose just didn’t, and our new coach was not enthused. 

We'll probably never know fully.  

4 hours ago, MB3 said:

I follow him on instagram. Or, I did follow him last summer. 

All of our guys were posting photos of workouts and ice time. Goose was posting photos/stories of himself on vacation with his wife/gf, out at bars, etc. 

It's easy to look way too much into that, but t seems like this guy stopped caring about hockey the second last season got cancelled. And he never really started caring again. 

Kind of felt like he got paid 4.5 mill and that was job done, set for life. 

On 4/1/2021 at 9:51 PM, Nicomo said:

Nah. Probably Merkley. I saw a poster on HF say he looks like someone’s backup weed dealer and I about died lol

Ruff doesn’t like guys who don’t skate well. Probably a big part of why Butcher has such a tough time cracking the lineup. 

Damn, he isn’t even a first line weed dealer?  That’s gotta be rough.

Such a shame about Gusev. I was thinking about how many players have come over after dominating in the KHL in recent years. Most have them have had a lot of success: Panarin, Radulov, Dadonov, Kaprizov, Tarasenko. Really it’s only Gusev and Shipachev that come to mind regarding players that didn’t work out recently. 

Gusev is someone who clearly has the talent. He was just so deceptive and creative out there, and really had that scorer’s instinct. Maybe he will unlock that again somewhere else.

In any case, after the Palms/Zajac trade, it is clear that management wants the full youth movement at this point. Gusev doesn’t quite fit that timeline, and there clearly was no interest in him from other teams. 

• Like 1