The 2021 Offseason Thread

jagknife

4 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Unfortunately, a trade for Risto would fit the MO of this team based on the past few years worth of moves.

Dude looks like the villain in a 1980’s B-list karate movie that they thought was a good idea after Karate Kid, but never garnered much, if any, attention. 

771C6172-9934-44F6-A078-1A61E08F029F.jpeg

Edited by mfitz804

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Dude looks like the villain in a 1980’s B-list karate movie that they thought was a good idea after Karate Kid, but never garnered much, if any, attention. 

lol that's pretty accurate.

It's also one of the rare times that both the stat-nerd and anti-stats crowd both agree that he sucks from what I am seeing across different social media platforms.

We are almost assured to trade for him.

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Season 4 of Cobra Kai is on the way...

Oct-Dec timeframe is what I heard as release date.

And the fact that they are bringing back the Terry Silver character is enough to justify anyone to get a Netflix sub.

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

The movie ends with Risto narrowing losing a fight to the "good guy", played by that Swayze dude...Don Swayze, that is:

MV5BMzQyN2I1Y2QtYTY3Ny00OGMwLTgxOWItNzgzN2NhZDJjMjUyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDgxNDMwNjY@._V1_.jpg

40 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

To me he looks more like a dude from Hans Gruber's gang who missed his ride and couldn't make it to Nakatomi Tower

• Haha 2

Ive been reading more about the Ristolainen rumours. I'm really not a fan of it... unless the price is ridiculously low like a 3rd or wtv. He's a top 4 dmen at best and i don't feel the team is in a spot to take on players coming in with something to prove and who sucked recently. We're past that at this point, we need known commodity coming in

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Ive been reading more about the Ristolainen rumours. I'm really not a fan of it... unless the price is ridiculously low like a 3rd or wtv. He's a top 4 dmen at best and i don't feel the team is in a spot to take on players coming in with something to prove and who sucked recently. We're past that at this point, we need known commodity coming in

I will admit I haven’t watched him enough to know whether he would help us or not, but when people say something like “he’s a top 4”, I feel like that means we could use him. Who is our top 4 otherwise? 

29 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I will admit I haven’t watched him enough to know whether he would help us or not, but when people say something like “he’s a top 4”, I feel like that means we could use him. Who is our top 4 otherwise? 

the "he's a top 4 at best" part is very important lol

6 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah like I’ve said, I’m done with “low price roll the dice” moves too.

What hasn’t been mentioned yet is that if he’s brought in, the guy who is supposed to help him finally figure things out is…fvcking nASS?!  Really?!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

and also he only has one year left on his contract... so is it smart to trade assets for a dude who may not even pan out and who may not even stay after a year? (that he wants to leave or us wanting him to leave lol)

That’s a better argument. Right now we have two guys who are “a top 4 at best” going forward, so I wouldn’t exactly say we are yet in a position to turn down a guy to fill that role. 

Not saying Rasmus is that guy, just that our defense is full of holes. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That’s a better argument. Right now we have two guys who are “a top 4 at best” going forward, so I wouldn’t exactly say we are yet in a position to turn down a guy to fill that role. 

Right, he's a big, mean dude.  I wouldn't say no if it was a relatively whatever package we send back.  As long as it isn't seen as "the move" of the offseason from the front office.  But then again, we will never know what they try to pull off or what the plan is.

51 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Right, he's a big, mean dude.  I wouldn't say no if it was a relatively whatever package we send back.  As long as it isn't seen as "the move" of the offseason from the front office.  But then again, we will never know what they try to pull off or what the plan is.

Definitely agree. This is not a big move by any means. Maybe a Kulikov replacement, he does well and he wants to sign, that’s good, otherwise he fills a gap and you move him at the deadline. 

Or maybe they get all of their Rasmuses confused and accidentally send us the good one. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

PK I think will be at his best in contract year, Severson is a good 1-4 d man Smith at this time 5-6 until he gets more seasoning. D is a big question mark for us in that Bahl/Vuk/& Okhotyuk need at least another year in the AHL imo. Don't hurry them, it's not necessary. We would imo improve immediately if we were to land Seth Jones somehow, even if he doesn't sign longterm. I think CBJ will hold off on him til trade deadline.  

possible UFA's- Danault, Wennberg, Saad, Armia, Hyman  D- Larsson, Oleksiak, Barrie, Hamilton, Riley  G-  Driedger, Ulmark (he'll want the #1) Brossoit

40 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

PK I think will be at his best in contract year, Severson is a good 1-4 d man Smith at this time 5-6 until he gets more seasoning. D is a big question mark for us in that Bahl/Vuk/& Okhotyuk need at least another year in the AHL imo. Don't hurry them, it's not necessary. We would imo improve immediately if we were to land Seth Jones somehow, even if he doesn't sign longterm. I think CBJ will hold off on him til trade deadline.  

possible UFA's- Danault, Wennberg, Saad, Armia, Hyman  D- Larsson, Oleksiak, Barrie, Hamilton, Riley  G-  Driedger, Ulmark (he'll want the #1) Brossoit

I personally don't think CBJ should wait. They are already in the hole they are for waiting too long. They lost Panarin and Bobrovsky in their absolute prime for nothing. Now they are at the bottom of the league with Jones wanting to leave to. They NEED to trade him this summer and get maximum return for him, they really can't gamble that he'll be healthy at the trade deadline and they can't cut their potential trade partners to only teams in the playoffs and ready to make a push.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I personally don't think CBJ should wait. They are already in the hole they are for waiting too long. They lost Panarin and Bobrovsky in their absolute prime for nothing. Now they are at the bottom of the league with Jones wanting to leave to. They NEED to trade him this summer and get maximum return for him, they really can't gamble that he'll be healthy at the trade deadline and they can't cut their potential trade partners to only teams in the playoffs and ready to make a push.

That is what they should do. 

39 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

The BJs knew they were very likely going to lose Panarin and Bobrovsky...but they also knew that it's not like Panarin-types are easy to come by, and they had made the playoffs the previous two seasons, so they decided to take one great big shot while they had guys that they could win with; to be clear, not the most ideal circumstances, having to go all-in on one season...it would have been a hell of a lot nicer to have a real window where your top players are in peak form and locked up for a few more years, but Columbus is one of those places where they're going to walk that difficult tightrope of "Look at our roster...could lose some valuable assets, but there's some top talent here...do we load up and take our shot now?" or "Do we trade guys who could potentially take us all the way...and then become irrelevant yet again for 3+ seasons?"  That franchise had never won a playoff round in 18 seasons, prior to sweeping Tampa...at some point, if you have a core that looks like it really could win, you fortify it and take a shot, show your fans that you're interested in trying to win.  That being said, they're one of those teams that's going to have a tougher time wrapping certain players up...franchises like them absolutely have to nail their drafts (and sprinkle their picks into the lineup while they're relatively cheap and under control), use some of those assets to trade for solid NHLers under contract for at least 3 years, and find underrated talent wherever possible...and of course, when you don't figure to have a shot to win, deal off guys like Jones for what you can get.  

And I fully agree that given the state that they're in right NOW, they should explore trading Jones sooner than later...really try to get him moved during the offseason.  It's one thing to load up and take a big risk with the 2018-19 BJs...no such luxuries with the 2021-22 BJs.  A healthy Jones should fetch a solid return...and the BJs do have three first-rounders this year.  If they can get a 2022 first-rounder (along with other goodies) for Jones, they could really re-stock their youth quickly.

BJs are in a similar position to the Devils, in some ways...not many players locked up long-term, and cap space to work with...just gotta find players willing to go there...