The 2021 Offseason Thread

jagknife

7 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Why would he wait though? He had a really good opportunity right there. NJ last year was certainly not a good opportunity.

A million reasons. Family, the Isles two arena situation, THE GM he’d be working for, to name a few. It’s not as simple as saying, “oh this team is good, I will absolutely agree to coach them”

Edited by devlman

5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Why would he wait though? He had a really good opportunity right there. NJ last year was certainly not a good opportunity.

I didn’t say he would. I said he could. 

It’s also likely that any one of a bunch of other teams, who would fire their coach within a few months, would have done so earlier to bring Trotz on board. I’m not saying they were or were not better options, but the guy most definitely had options. 

You’re also making the Islanders out to be better than they were, they were below .500, second to list in the division (only 3 points out of last) and 11th in the conference. They had missed the playoffs 2 years in a row, 3 out of 5, and were about to lose their captain and (arguably) best player. 

1 minute ago, devlman said:

So Lou had absolutely nothing to do with getting Trotz? No work at all to convince and sign such a highly coveted coach? Yes or no?

Even if you say no, Lou still gets credit because he had to agree that Trotz was THE guy needed to take the Isles forward. Not a slam dunk decision when you consider style of play desired, age of players, personalities, etc…

You do understand the context of this whole debate right?

I said he deserved credits for that, but IMO not as much credits as he deserves for getting the right players to fill his roster.

I mean is that such a crazy take? Lou brought in an entire 3rd line, a winger for the first line, a goalie and a bottom pairing. To me that deserves a bit more credits than hiring the one coach that was available. If you don't agree thats fine but i wish people would stop throwing the lame "lou-hater" thing in this case, i'd say the same exact thing no matter who was in the same situation.

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I didn’t say he would. I said he could. 

It’s also likely that any one of a bunch of other teams, who would fire their coach within a few months, would have done so earlier to bring Trotz on board. I’m not saying they were or were not better options, but the guy most definitely had options. 

You’re also making the Islanders out to be better than they were, they were below .500, second to list in the division (only 3 points out of last) and 11th in the conference. They had missed the playoffs 2 years in a row, 3 out of 5, and were about to lose their captain and (arguably) best player. 

They were clearly underachieving. Literally 14 current players of their top 17 players in scoring then were on the team when Lou took over. And it's not like he brought in McDavid and Mackinnon in their prime either. Their whole top 6 forwards and top 4 D were already on the team. And they are still all the top guys on the team. They are just finally reaching their potential with a good coach. They lost in the 2nd round then missed the playoffs twice then went back in the playoffs. If you look at all that its pretty clear they underachieved those 2 years.

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

You do understand the context of this whole debate right?

I said he deserved credits for that, but IMO not as much credits as he deserves for getting the right players to fill his roster.

I mean is that such a crazy take? Lou brought in an entire 3rd line, a winger for the first line, a goalie and a bottom pairing. To me that deserves a bit more credits than hiring the one coach that was available. If you don't agree thats fine but i wish people would stop throwing the lame "lou-hater" thing in this case, i'd say the same exact thing no matter who was in the same situation.

The context that you’ve made it has been that it was a ‘no-brainer’ decision, implying Lou doesn’t deserve credit. If you absolutely agree Lou deserves credit and that it was his biggest acquisition then well done Lou and then there’s no argument.

3 minutes ago, devlman said:

The context that you’ve made it has been that it was a ‘no-brainer’ decision, implying Lou doesn’t deserve credit. If you absolutely agree Lou deserves credit and that it was his biggest acquisition then well done Lou and then there’s no argument.

Well it is a no brainer decision lol You need a coach and the best coach in the NHL become available. You're fvcking making the call 10 times out of 10.

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well it is a no brainer decision lol You need a coach and the best coach in the NHL become available. You're fvcking making the call 10 times out of 10.

Right but does the coach want to come to you is the question. Enter Lou Lamoriello and the answer becomes yes.

Right but does the coach want to come to you is the question. Enter Lou Lamoriello and the answer becomes yes.

lol yes. Lou could have convinced Tortz to come to coach the 2014 devils and bring us to the conference finals. Totally.

And that’s not speculation and hindsight, Trotz said that Lou was a big part of his decision. I don’t get why he’s overlooking that.

Also that if he remained available, multiple teams would have been willing to fire their existing coach to bring him in.

He had a sh!tload of options, he 100% did not say “only the Islanders need a coach, so I guess I will coach them”. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

lol yes. Lou could have convinced Tortz to come to coach the 2014 devils and bring us to the conference finals. Totally.

And then you get mad when the Lou hater comments get thrown around lol

3 minutes ago, devlman said:

And then you get mad when the Lou hater comments get thrown around lol

Just answer. Say Tortz became available in 2014. Do you think Lou could have convinced him to take the job? And were we making the conference finals with tortz as a coach and that roster? You made a blank statement that basically Lou could hire anyone he wants no matter what roster he has.

Just now, SterioDesign said:

Just answer. Say Tortz became available in 2014. Do you think Lou could have convinced him to take the job? And were we making the conference finals with tortz as a coach and that roster? You made a blank statement that basically Lou could hire anyone he wants no matter what roster he has.

No. Nor did I make any statement about roster. And not once did I say Lou was the sole factor for Trotz joining the Isles. Very weird direction to take a hypothetical. Grasping at straws now bro.

No. Nor did I make any statement about roster. And not once did I say Lou was the sole factor for Trotz joining the Isles. Very weird direction to take a hypothetical. Grasping at straws now bro.

"Right but does the coach want to come to you is the question. Enter Lou Lamoriello and the answer becomes yes."

Well then you should specify cause you're statement was pretty damn black and white

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

Well then you should specify cause you're statement was pretty damn black and white

That statement is black and white, you’re right. Lou was the GM Trotz agreed to work for. That’s all that statement says and is 100% fact.

7 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Long Island is not NYC. Just like NJ is not NYC.

It’s even worse because it’s more annoying to drive to/from Long Island. Nobody wants to do that sh!t. Every Islander fan I know was so excited they only had to drive to Brooklyn to go to games. 

Obviously, none of them live in Long Island. 

7 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

He wants St. Louis, so that’ll be that. Although he does not have a NTC/NMC, so who knows. 

Tarasenko does have one, will he waive it to go to Calgary? And, does he have any gas left in the tank post-injury?

11 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I'm not really a fan of a 23 year old picking what team he wants to play for. The flames can do him a solid and get him to St Louis but just Tarasenko with his injury history and being so much older is never gonna happen unless Chiarelli is the Calgary GM suddenly

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I'm not really a fan of a 23 year old picking what team he wants to play for. The flames can do him a solid and get him to St Louis but just Tarasenko with his injury history and being so much older is never gonna happen unless Chiarelli is the Calgary GM suddenly

I think Tarasenko needs to have a “show me” season. Show me you can play, produce and not get injured. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I’m tired of these guys wanting to ‘go home’. Shut the fvck up and play for the team that drafted you until you’re a UFA. I don’t need the NHL becoming the NBA where players start dictating where they go. fvck that noise.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 3