GDT: Rags @ Devils 7:00 PM MSG+, MSG

MadDog2020

1 hour ago, nessus said:

But according to Valiquette, "played against men" is not only more exciting, he's bigger, stronger, and faster than Jack. And he'll be better in the long run.

Aka the player who dominated a "cup contender" team isn't going to be as good as someone who can't even come close to scoring on the Devils' fourth string goalie.

That video was from 2019 before the draft lol

1 hour ago, Derek21 said:

I don't think the Devils have ever had a player like Hughes. He's unbelievable. He scores highlight reel goals that leave fans with their mouths open.

The explosive speed combined with his skating and skill make him scary. What an exciting player. I can't hate on him. He is fun to watch. The move he put on both Lindgren and Reaves to whip the backhand past Georgiev was awesome. 

I already consider him a superstar. Not even 20. He still has to get better defensively. But who didn't at that age. Great player. 

The Rangers played lousy. They paid for it. The Devils have a good offense. If they can fix the goaltending and improve the defense, they'll be dangerous in the future. Luke Hughes is a stud. 

I thought Daws made some big saves when his team was down two. The Rangers could've led by more. They made too many mistakes. The rookie goalie played well. 

Rangers played a fine first period…not sure if they thought it was going to be an easy night after that, but they seemed to lose their edge, and couldn’t fully get it back.

Devils have had some talented offensive players suit up for them, but yeah, Hughes is just a different beast…incredibly dynamic and exactly the kind of player you think of when you picture a 1OA pick…and he’s only needed well under two full seasons’ worth of a “normal” NHL 82-game season to blossom.  He’s come a long way very quickly.

Devils were plenty lucky to win those lotteries…could’ve easily had Nolan Patrick and Kaapo Kakko.  

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Absolutely awesome comeback win. fvck the Rangers.

A sidenote but Chris Kreider's fluke goal scoring numbers this season reminds me of Gionta's fluke goal scoring season. Both solid players who won't/didn't ever recreate those numbers again. 

The flukiest season I ever saw was Clarkson’s 30-goal campaign.  Pucks were bouncing off or grazing him and going into the net. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The flukiest season I ever saw was Clarkson’s 30-goal campaign.  Pucks were bouncing off or grazing him and going into the net. 

Yeah I still can’t believe Clarkson scored 30. That’s bonkers looking back on it lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Rangers played a fine first period…not sure if they thought it was going to be an easy night after that, but they seemed to lose their edge, and couldn’t fully get it back.

Devils have had some talented offensive players suit up for them, but yeah, Hughes is just a different beast…incredibly dynamic and exactly the kind of player you think of when you picture a 1OA pick…and he’s only needed well under two full seasons’ worth of a “normal” NHL 82-game season to blossom.  He’s come a long way very quickly.

Devils were plenty lucky to win those lotteries…could’ve easily had Nolan Patrick and Kaapo Kakko.  

I cringe thinking what the Devils would look like with those two instead of Nico and Jack

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Absolutely awesome comeback win. fvck the Rangers.

A sidenote but Chris Kreider's fluke goal scoring numbers this season reminds me of Gionta's fluke goal scoring season. Both solid players who won't/didn't ever recreate those numbers again. 

Kreids works extremely hard at getting tips and redirects. That's his game. I'm happy for him because he's always had the capability to score 30. Injuries and over thinking hurt him. He was his own worst critic. His game is very simple. 

Do I see this being duplicated? No. The Gionta comparison is a good one. He had the same mentality. Impressive due to his small frame. I hope Kreider can hit 50. I think he needs 3 more PPG to pass Jagr for the single season mark. 

One thing about the Devils. For as bad as they are defensively, they've had some good comebacks vs good teams on home ice. The Avalanche. The NYE Oilers insanity. The Blues. They have beaten quality teams by scoring big. They're exciting. 

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

They had some moments in the first where they got caught leading to good Devils' chances. Like Sharangovich two-on-one and he didn't shoot. Ruff said he showed video between periods. 

I thought they relaxed due to the slow start to the second by NJ. Then turnovers which led to goals against. They got away with it at Carolina due to Georgiev. That won't fly. The Devils have a better offense than the Canes. They also have the kind of transition game that can give teams fits. 

At times, Panarin and Fox drive me nuts with their East/West crap. Zibanejad and Kreider blew that key shorthanded chance due to it. Then Hughes scored from Hischier. That was it. East/West will get you in trouble in the Spring.

8 hours ago, Bonginator11 said:

I cringe thinking what the Devils would look like with those two instead of Nico and Jack

Especially since the Devils absolutely positively needed at least one center...that means had they picked second in 2017, I find it very hard to believe that they wouldn't have taken Patrick.  Hard to know if they automatically would've taken Kakko, but just about every board had Hughes and Kakko listed 1-2.