Prospects thread 2022-2023

Guadana

10 minutes ago, MB3 said:

seems like the scouts are unanimous in saying Nemec looks like a future star from the WJC. I only watched ~5 periods of him play but he looked like clearly the best player on the ice almost every shift. 

If he goes back to Utica and just shreds...call me nuts but I think maybe there's a chance he gets a callup (even with the cap implications, with the possibility of him burning up a year of his ELC).  Depends upon how committed the Devils are to keeping him in Utica for a full season no matter what...obviously it was a loooooong time ago and under a completely different regime, but the Devils did the same thing with Brodeur back in 1992-93...basically told him to not even think about playing in the NHL that season.

A Nemec callup would also give the Devils a shot at getting something back for Seves, but I get that it's risky as hell.  As much as Seves can drive us all crazy, what exactly Nemec will bring as a first-year pro (and as a soon-to-be 19-year-old) is very hard to gauge.  He'd also likely be paired with Smith, which is also scary.      

unless the devils are convinced either Shakir, Nemec or Hughes (after the NCAAs, like Cale Makar) can be a starting NHL defenseman on a playoff team, trading Severson would be a massive mistake. As we’ve seen already we’re a couple of minor injuries away from seeing Bahl and Okhotyuk log 20 minutes of ice time.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

unless the devils are convinced either Shakir, Nemec or Hughes (after the NCAAs, like Cale Makar) can be a starting NHL defenseman on a playoff team, trading Severson would be a massive mistake. As we’ve seen already we’re a couple of minor injuries away from seeing Bahl and Okhotyuk log 20 minutes of ice time.

I think this is correct, for better of for worse he’s going to be here for the duration, as long as we’re in playoff position. I understand the whole “don’t waste your assets” theory, but “don’t waste your playoff chances” trumps that, in my opinion. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

Yeah and if the return on Damon isn't great, better to probably just hang onto him (along with the unknowns involved for everyone else).  It's more just me wondering aloud if there would ever be a scenario where the Devils would even entertain the idea of Nemec getting time with the big club in 2022-23...if they're not 100% sure that he's ready, I have no issues at all with him remaining in Utica. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

I think this is correct, for better of for worse he’s going to be here for the duration, as long as we’re in playoff position. I understand the whole “don’t waste your assets” theory, but “don’t waste your playoff chances” trumps that, in my opinion. 

right. severson likely won’t bring back more than a 2nd round pick at this point with how invisible of a season he’s had on the stat sheet, so look at it like the devils trading a 2nd for a decent puck moving 2nd/3rd pairing rental defenseman.

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

If there was a team willing to cough up a first-rounder for Seves I'd have to at least listen.  But yeah, not taking the risk for what figures to be a low-2nd or less.  And I'm obviously no fan of Seves, but it goes back to what I posted previously...too much unknown with Nemec, at this stage of his career.  Devils would have to be really REALLY sure to open up a spot for him.  

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

...too much unknown with Nemec, at this stage of his career.  Devils would have to be really REALLY sure to open up a spot for him.  

I agree with this. I wouldn’t mind seeing him get a game or two because someone is hurt at some point, but to actually ship someone out to give him their spot, I’m not prepared to do that just yet. 

33 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I agree with this. I wouldn’t mind seeing him get a game or two because someone is hurt at some point, but to actually ship someone out to give him their spot, I’m not prepared to do that just yet. 

and while i don't wish injuries on anyone... IF there's injuries let's hope it's not Hamilton, Marino, Graves, Siegenthaler or Severson...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

and while i don't wish injuries on anyone... IF there's injuries let's hope it's not Hamilton, Marino, Graves, Siegenthaler or Severson...

Sooooooo what you're trying to say is...

😉

Just now, mfitz804 said:

If we had his ability, that would have HIS face on it and it would have been fantastic. 

And Dorito crust on the gloves of course...

53 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And Dorito crust on the gloves of course...

Funny you should say that. 

EDIT: Let me add that the Doritos content is my own personal opinion and not any speculation as to who is or is not Dorito encrusted. 

aa191a238b6aeab89500f1b52aaec198 (3).jpg

Edited by mfitz804
  • Haha 3