The Olympics

ciyenne

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slightly OT but I got a kick out of that VISA commercial with Steinbrenner and Torre. Just as good as the Steinbrenner and Jeter one last year :)

The ceremonies are good but I can't really get into it. The torch relay is the most exciting part, but even that was hard to get into considering I don't know any of the athletes that ran the torch around the stadium.

Edited by Hasan4978

I watched some of the boxing today. There were three boxers that were taken off our Olympic team because the Olympic Committee believed that these guys were not good enough to compete on the world stage. They appealled the decision to Sports Canada and were allowed to go. Two have yet to fight, but the first guy lost and lost very bad. :rolleyes: I guess he has a lot of time to stroll through Greece now. :rolleyes:

The problem with the boxing is that it is single elimination. So if you just happen to draw the best guy in the first round, you're out. You could be the 2nd best there, but you'll never know.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

After the boxing they had women's weightlifting. That's just not right. That might be a sexist thing to say, but I don't find muscular men sexy either, so maybe I just don't like muscles at all. :P But I was impressed with the person that won - 115 kg woman lifted 120 kg.

The ceremonies were so over the top. But they were good. It was kind of weird looking at how they tried for that original Olympics feel. Some crazy stuff. A lot of work for sure and theatrics.

I am more into winter Olympics to be honest. But I will be keeping a close eye on the track and field events. I am a big fan. Those runners are unbelievable. Being a former runner, I have a great appreciation for the work they put in. I wish I could run like that.

Swimming is interesting and already some of our best have medaled.

I will also follow the tennis since I am a fan and the basketball.

Our women's volleyball team didn't look too good against China today. LOL

Doh!! I just read about Canada's baseball team. We were supposed to be medal contenders, but two of our key guys were denied permission to play. I can understand Justin Morneau as he is sometimes starting games for the Twins. But the Rockies wouldn't let our ace pitcher Jeff Francis go to Athens. He's playing in the minors right now - I think playing in the Olympics would be more meaningful.

*checks* Hrm. Morneau has 10 HR in 35 games for the Twins. No wonder he was a "key" member of the team.

I'm getting a kick out of the CBC coverage out here... right now have some USA Volleyball thing on the TV

(still not used to ZERO NFL coverage... but I'll take that for the hockey stuff anyday !!)

I was just watching a tennis match and part of the China vs. Spain basketball game (and as someone who hates basketball, that's saying something, lol). Of course I love my old standby's, gymnastics and swimming, but it's really cool watching some of the lesser popular (to Americans) sports, like table tennis and badmittin (sp).

But I'm with Derek, the Winter Olympics are much more interesting, and not just because of the hockey!

I liked the guy falling over at WW2. Very effective.

I thought he fell for WW1 and stumbled for WW2. Frankly, I thought it should have been the other way around; WW1 only wiped out one Summer Games, while WW2 cancelled two Summer Games and two Winter Games.

It was pointed out in another thread that Doc Emrick (NBC's bio) is providing play-by-play for water polo. Whilst perusing NBCOlympics.com, I found a few other familiar names:

Bill Clement is a busy man; he's doing color commentary on badminton and table tennis and play-by-play for modern pentathlon.

Melissa Stark will be the swimming and diving reporter.

Al Trautwig is the play-by-play man for gymnastics, trampoline(!) and triathlon.

Mike Breen is the voice of both men's and women's basketball, and Doug Collins will be his sidekick on the men's side.

Bob Papa will be handling the boxing duties.

Pat Croce (yes, THAT Pat Croce) will be providing color commentary for taekwondo.

And here's one for the Canadians:

Don Chevrier will be NBC's lead commentator for synchronized swimming, and he's also stuck with Bill Clement doing play-by-play on badminton and table tennis.

(NBC's complete sport-by-sport commentator list.)

Our baseball team is up 2-0 on Taiwan on THREE errors in the 2nd inning. There was a pop-up dropped by the shortstop, a Bill Buckner play down at first and on the ensuing single the player on second attempted to score and the outfielder threw it over the catchers head. Oi. I don't mind the score being 2-0, but this is *BAD* baseball.

BTW - they just said that the US didn't qualify!?!?!?!?!? WHAT!?!?!? Huh?!?! The US not qualifying for baseball is like Canada not qualifying for hockey.

Baseball update:

Canada beat Italy 9-3, so we are 2-0, outscoring the opposition 16-3 and we have the Netherlands and Greece coming up.

Tough games start on Friday: Cuba and then Japan. Japan shut down their major league, so they've got the best of their best playing. They beat Italy so bad that they had to bring in the mercy rule (if you open up a 10 run lead after the 7th inning, they call the game).

I'll be very, very happy if we get into the medals after losing Francis and Moreau. They were the two best that we had on our national team. Lose your top two guys and still compete - that's pretty good. I bet that if it was team USA asking for a player, the Rockies would have relented on Francis.

Good question..

I am not much into the Summer Games either. Much rather have the Winter ones.

(Hockey, ice skating, skiing, much more entertaining for me)

(although the smimming is not too bad, that Phelps guy can sure swim)

As stated earlier, I prefer the winter Olympics simply because Canada is better at winter sports than summer sports.

But we did manage to get a medal today. A bronze in SYNCHRONIZED DIVING?!?! WHAT THE HECK KIND OF SPORT IS THAT?!?! CAN WE SEND THIS MEDAL BACK?!?! Where the heck do they find these sports? Is bowling in the Olympics? How about freestyle skateboarding? How many hops can someone do on their bicycle back tire? Best yo-yo tricks?