2023 New York J-E-T-S season thread

NJDevs4978

On 12/25/2023 at 2:01 AM, '7' said:

I thought i heard an interesting quote by Aaron Rodgers

He said something like "I can see myself staying(or sticking around) here after I'm done playing"

And he's always down on the sidelines with his headset. Next year I dont care what the official titles say...our Offensive Coordinator will be Aaron Rodgers. 

Is thinking of taking Saleh's job in 2025 or 2026. Trying to find the exact quote but I know I heard him mention something about "sticking around here after I'm no longer playing"

Not sure his coaching had much of an impact this year other than the whispers maybe he got in Hackett’s ear early in the Chiefs game. He should definitely stay out of GM’ing given his track record with guys like Lazard, Cobb, etc this year

Granted Joe wasn’t much better, the Flacco thing just makes the Jets look like even bigger buffoons.

• 2 weeks later...

I get the Jets (and many of their fans) wanting to beat the Pats in this spot, just because.

At the same time, the Pats could not afford to win this game just to keep a streak going, in a meaningless game, so obviously not upset that they lost.

Weird time to be a Pats fan…even though we all knew Brady and Belichick would not be here forever and ever, sometimes it sure felt like they would.  An era just came to a complete stop.  It’s fully over.  And like so many other franchises, the Pats may very well become just another franchise that sees short-lived regime after short-lived regime come and go, as they try to find a way to piece together another run.

As BB would say:  on to…whatever’s next. 

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Obviously not much of a shock...had he stuck around, that would've been the real stunner.

It makes complete sense, in that I think both sides needed a clean break and a new start.  No shame in that, considering that BB's run was probably 5X as long as most head coaching stints.

Hard to think that Vrabel won't be the next coach in NE, unless the interview somehow goes badly.

Early rumors (for whatever they're worth) speculate BB going to the Chargers and getting the band back together...McDaniels as his OC, and Puppetricia at his DC.

McDaniels as his OC, that I kinda get...he's most definitely NOT a head coach, but with talent to work with, he can do the job as an OC.  Puppet...that guy has no business being a DC anymore.  He was covered up for a LOT in NE...when the offense is putting up 500+ points damned near every year, that can cover up a lot of ills.    

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Obviously not much of a shock...had he stuck around, that would've been the real stunner.

It makes complete sense, in that I think both sides needed a clean break and a new start.  No shame in that, considering that BB's run was probably 5X as long as most head coaching stints.

Hard to think that Vrabel won't be the next coach in NE, unless the interview somehow goes badly.

Early rumors (for whatever they're worth) speculate BB going to the Chargers and getting the band back together...McDaniels as his OC, and Puppetricia at his DC.

McDaniels as his OC, that I kinda get...he's most definitely NOT a head coach, but with talent to work with, he can do the job as an OC.  Puppet...that guy has no business being a DC anymore.  He was covered up for a LOT in NE...when the offense is putting up 500+ points damned near every year, that can cover up a lot of ills.    

Apparently Mayo is already the coach, it's been in place the entire season. This doesn't usually happen lol

14 hours ago, Muevelos said:

Apparently Mayo is already the coach, it's been in place the entire season. This doesn't usually happen lol

You are correct, and the Pats decided to follow through with this.

Guess we'll see how it turns out.  Can't see him as anything more than a question mark at this point...there just isn't much to go on, being that he's only 37 and has no head coaching experience at all. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You are correct, and the Pats decided to follow through with this.

Guess we'll see how it turns out.  Can't see him as anything more than a question mark at this point...there just isn't much to go on, being that he's only 37 and has no head coaching experience at all. 

It's early for him I believe. And hopefully the organization plans to actually stick with him. They aren't doing anything as a team for 2 years or so but Kraft wants to win at the same time. Also interesting seeing them go defensive again for a coach considering where the league currently is, and every coach fire this year was defensive. Does BoB stay? Vrabel isn't coming in as a DC. 

So that’s that, re:  the Dolphins

They’ve obviously come a long way but it sure looks like they’ve better figure out a way to beat winning teams AND make sure that they notch at least one home playoff game.  Like I said, they’ve come a long way and they should be competing for playoff berths for a while, but can’t keep fattening up strictly on meh-to-bad teams.  That’s how you get locked into pretender territory.

They also gotta try to avoid having to go into cold/bad weather teams’ buildings.  Neutralizes their offense too much.

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

They also gotta try to avoid having to go into cold/bad weather teams’ buildings.  Neutralizes their offense too much.

fvck that. What they need to do is man up and stop playing pu$$y ball when it matters. Tua needs to also be more of a catalyst. He’s good, but not elite. If we’re gonna pay him elite QB money, which we have no choice but to do, he better be fvcking elite. That sh!t last night, and last week, and the week before that was not close to being good, let alone elite. Also, maybe one of these years we’ll have a somewhat healthy roster by the end of the season. Six starters out on defense last night. Six. Half the defense. Hard to beat anyone like that. 

Edited by MadDog2020

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

fvck that. What they need to do is man up and stop playing pu$$y ball when it matters. Tua needs to also be more of a catalyst. He’s good, but not elite. If we’re gonna pay him elite QB money, which we have no choice but to do, he better be fvcking elite. That sh!t last night, and last week, and the week before that was not close to being good, let alone elite. Also, maybe one of these years we’ll have a somewhat healthy roster by the end of the season. Six starters out on defense last night. Six. Half the defense. Hard to beat anyone like that. 

The Dolphins D battled the last two weeks in spite of being massively banged up.

The Dolphins O scored 7 points in their last 6 quarters of play. That's the issue. After being unstoppable most of the season, they just fell flat the last 6 quarters.

Just my opinion, but Tua is a liability. Take away his first read and he is done. I WOULD NOT pay Tua. The Dolphins have to try and find a better option (easier said than done) before Hill starts to slow down. Don't think for a second that the Bills success against Miami isn't tied to Tua being their QB. Look how close Miami came to beating the Bills in the playoffs last year with a 341st string QB?

On a side note.... Is it me or do the Chiefs ALWAYS seem to play banged up teams come playoff time while they are reasonably healthy? If they play the Bills next week, they get ANOTHER banged up team, but it would be Mahomes first road game. Plus the Chiefs would have a MASSIVE 2 day advantage in preparation for the game. But the Bills have to beat the Steelers first. 

There are some big ticket HC's out there and the Jets are sticking with that loser Saleh.

The Jets are simply gonna Jet.

Well, I guess Woody is going to do what his GM Aaron Rodgers tells him to do.

Rodgers is DESTROYING the Jets and there is no end in sight there.

Rodgers is going to be 40 fvckin one years old next season and he is dictating what the franchise is doing.

Woody Johnson should be on the horn with Jim Harbaugh and giving HIM what he wants. PERIOD. 

11 minutes ago, njbuff said:

The Dolphins D battled the last two weeks in spite of being massively banged up.

The Dolphins O scored 7 points in their last 6 quarters of play. That's the issue. After being unstoppable most of the season, they just fell flat the last 6 quarters.

Just my opinion, but Tua is a liability. Take away his first read and he is done. I WOULD NOT pay Tua. The Dolphins have to try and find a better option (easier said than done) before Hill starts to slow down. Don't think for a second that the Bills success against Miami isn't tied to Tua being their QB. Look how close Miami came to beating the Bills in the playoffs last year with a 341st string QB?

On a side note.... Is it me or do the Chiefs ALWAYS seem to play banged up teams come playoff time while they are reasonably healthy? If they play the Bills next week, they get ANOTHER banged up team, but it would be Mahomes first road game. Plus the Chiefs would have a MASSIVE 2 day advantage in preparation for the game. But the Bills have to beat the Steelers first. 

I wouldn’t do a deal with Tua yet this offseason. I’d ride out the 5th year option and see if his play improves in the big moments against the better teams. The problem is who are we gonna replace Tua with if we were to move on? We all know how hard it is to find a franchise QB. Tua has elite ball placement and timing. He’s a very good QB, but he’s not all-around elite and he hasn’t been a difference maker. If you want $50 million a year, you have to be a difference maker.

On 1/14/2024 at 1:38 PM, MadDog2020 said:

I wouldn’t do a deal with Tua yet this offseason. I’d ride out the 5th year option and see if his play improves in the big moments against the better teams. The problem is who are we gonna replace Tua with if we were to move on? We all know how hard it is to find a franchise QB. Tua has elite ball placement and timing. He’s a very good QB, but he’s not all-around elite and he hasn’t been a difference maker. If you want $50 million a year, you have to be a difference maker.

You sign him unless you plan to completely rebuild and suck and draft a qb. You are right in theory 50 million is a lot but in today's League, 50 million for Tua, is on par, whether we like it or not and there are no better options not even close if they choose to not sign him. He has his issues and McDaniels stupid play calling at times doesn't help. He is a franchise quarterback at the end of the day unless you want to join the QB carousel you sign him cuz every other team in the league would have him in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Muevelos said:

You sign him unless you plan to completely rebuild and suck and draft a qb. You are right in theory 50 million is a lot but in today's League, 50 million for Tua, is on par, whether we like it or not and there are no better options not even close if they choose to not sign him. He has his issues and McDaniels stupid play calling at times doesn't help. He is a franchise quarterback at the end of the day unless you want to join the QB carousel you sign him cuz every other team in the league would have him in a heartbeat.

Yeah we really have no choice because again- who is the better option? There isn’t one. And I believe you can win with Tua, but he isn’t a guy who will carry a team like Mahomes or Lamar or Allen. He needs a lot to be right around him, but he is a damn good QB when he’s on. But I need to see him take another step in these big games against the better teams because he was putrid this year in those situations. 

• 3 weeks later...