2023-2024 NJ Devils season thread

MadDog2020

8 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Because of course 

Well yeah, ya know Smith's just gotta get as many minutes as possible, because he's such an experienced vet and all who's apparently chock full of intangibles.  

• Angry 2
  • Vomiting 1

35 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

This stupid season just needs to end. I’ve fvcking had it. 

I have, too.  If nothing else, I want stop thinking about this team’s extraordinarily stupid coaching staff (except Sarge) and their obsession with giving playing time to mediocre defenseman at the expense of better players.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

The Devils will go a whole week without doing something mind numbingly frustrating.

April Fools!

I was hoping the Hatakka move was an April Fools joke, and then I remembered that Brendan Smith is still on the team.

YARN | It will all be over soon. | Titanic (1997) | Video gifs by quotes |  9c70ad5f | 紗

One loss over the next two nights should do it.  Hard to believe that even if the Devils beat the Pens, that the Rangers won't completely wax them tomorrow night...I'm thinking full-on destruction, to the tune of 6-1 or 7-0 or something that brutal.  The Rangers are not only the FAR better coached team at this point, you just KNOW that they will absolutely show up for this one...even if the Devils have already technically been dead for weeks now, that won't stop the Rangers from wanting to throw the corpse over the side of the cliff, just to watch it splatter Wile E. Coyote style at the bottom of the canyon.

At least after this, there's the Mets...oh fvck...

As for the rest of the year...I expect it to get very ugly.  Think two lopsided losses against the Leafs, and maybe one win the rest of the way.  Groan has nothing to offer...Allen and Kahkonen did as much as they could, but things are going to even out, and they're not going to keep standing on their heads game in and game out.

More than ready for the hard reset that's coming.  Wake me up in June/July when Fitz can finally start addressing all that we know needs addressing.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Check out this guy, since the start of 2024:

27 GP, 16-8-3 record, .924 save%

That's Jordan Binnington.

To be clear, I do NOT want this guy, partly for the same reasons that I don't want Markstrom...both are too volatile for my tastes, even with so many goalies being volatile to begin with.

But being that he's cost-controlled for three seasons at a not-too-crazy hit ($6 million AAV) and that the Devils would be paying for his Age 31-33 years, I can him see being one of Fitz's Plan Bs, especially if the asset price isn't insane.

Would be a very dangerous gamble though...and one that I wouldn't be on board with.  2021-22 and 2022-23 (.897 save% and -26.6 GSAA) are plenty scary enough to turn me away. 

• Like 3

Binnington has been amazing for the Blues this year, really the only reason they're sniffing the playoffs and probably deserving of the Vezina if Hellybuyck didn't exist, but definitely a guy I wouldn't want to be buying HIGH on. Over the prior two seasons he ranked 10th worst by goals saved above expected, 3rd worst by goals saved above average. He has a MUCH better resume, in fairness, but just look at Ottawa's mistake in buying high on Korpisalo after one good season following some pretty awful ones. 

Edited by nmigliore
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

Binnington has been amazing for the Blues this year, really the only reason they're sniffing the playoffs and probably deserving of the Vezina if Hellybuyck didn't exist, but definitely a guy I wouldn't want to be buying HIGH on. Over the prior two seasons he ranked 10th worst by goals saved above expected, 3rd worst by goals saved above average. He has a MUCH better resume, in fairness, but just look at Ottawa's mistake in buying high on Korpisalo after one good season following some pretty awful ones. 

Yeah I'm thinking if anything, the Blues might look to sell him off at a reasonable price before he has another bad year...the win for them would be getting him off their books, which last year they probably didn't think would even be possible without potentially taking something crappy back.  So they probably know not to overplay their hand, especially since the previous two seasons were so lousy.

What I'm hoping is that Fitz doesn't think "Hey, here's a guy who I might be able to get without having to give up nearly as much as some other guys, and he won a Cup to boot, so there's my big get!"  Of course, if Binnington actually came here and played well, Fitz will look like a genius, but man, like we both noted, it's WAY too risky of a move.  The blowup potential is massive.   

• Like 1

On the subject of high cap hit veteran goalies... MAJOR no thanks to John Gibson. $6.4M AAV over three more years and his last good season was... 5 years ago. Maybe it's the name value but I can never understand why he's ever brought up as a potential solution. Since that last good year (2018-19), he ranks 2nd worst by GSAA and 21st worst by GSAx. 

Edited by nmigliore
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, nmigliore said:

On the subject of high cap hit veteran goalies... MAJOR no thanks to John Gibson. $6.4M AAV over three more years and his last good season was... 5 years ago. Maybe it's the name value but I can never understand why he's ever brought up as a potential solution. Since that last good year (2018-19), he ranks 2nd worst by GSAA and 21st worst by GSAx. 

Yeah hard no fvcking thanks to THAT guy.  He'd probably cost the Devils little in assets but that's EXACTLY what you'd be getting back.

re:  Binnington, if that were ever to happen, gotta think Berube wouldn't want the Devils head coaching gig.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Just from the eye test alone, Binnington already has a bit of an attitude problem, no?

Yeah; I kinda like that about him though. We need more attitude.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah; I kinda like that about him though. We need more attitude.

I think there's attitude and then there's the guy who's kind of a loose cannon and a douchenozzle, in a bad way.  To me the latter is closer to what Binnington is...especially when he's struggling.

Berube clearly was getting fed up at one point:

Blues coach Berube rips Binnington for his antics: 'Just play goal, stop the puck' (sportsnet.ca)

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think there's attitude and then there's the guy who's kind of a loose cannon and a douchenozzle, in a bad way.  To me the latter is closer to what Binnington is...especially when he's struggling.

Berube clearly was getting fed up at one point:

Blues coach Berube rips Binnington for his antics: 'Just play goal, stop the puck' (sportsnet.ca)

Since Berube is my top choice, let’s steer clear then lol

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

I prefer Berube as well, but does his coming here mean Rogalski stays?

There should be no scenario in which Dave Rogalski is employed with this organization beyond April 17.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2024 at 3:18 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Well yeah, ya know Smith's just gotta get as many minutes as possible, because he's such an experienced vet and all who's apparently chock full of intangibles.  

Ok geniuses,

Now that the season is as over as it gets, can you stop trying to make Smith happen already?  Can you give someone else a look?  Someone who DOESN’T kill whoever he’s paired with?  Just a crazy thought.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Ok geniuses,

Now that the season is as over as it gets, can you stop trying to make Smith happen already?  Can you give someone else a look?  Someone who DOESN’T kill whoever he’s paired with?  Just a crazy thought.  

Meanwhile, Hatakka scored a goal for Utica earlier today.  You can’t make this sh!t up.

• Angry 1