GDT - 2/25/2024 Lightning @ Devils, 1 pm, MSGSN/TNT - Lindy Overcomplicates Things

ButlerBulldog

7 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

I didn’t even bother tune in for the game.  I am so disappointed.  It’s my fault I feel this way about the team because I had lofty expectations during the preseason.

Everyone did.  Fans, prognosticators…I’m sure Fitz himself.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah a second-round pick for Toffoli is pretty much the consensus.  

I feel like we should be able to pull a 1st for Toffoli.  You have to think there will be an all out arms race at the deadline in the west.  I would think a guy like Toffoli with Stanley cup experience and on pace for another 30 goal season would look great on any of Edmonton, Dallas, Vegas or Colorado.   All 4 still have their first round pick to use in a trade.   

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I feel like we should be able to pull a 1st for Toffoli.  You have to think there will be an all out arms race at the deadline in the west.  I would think a guy like Toffoli with Stanley cup experience and on pace for another 30 goal season would look great on any of Edmonton, Dallas, Vegas or Colorado.   All 4 still have their first round pick to use in a trade.   

I’d be thrilled with that return.  Get the feeling the word is out on Toffoli’s blatant lack of speed though.

16 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

He does have 25 goals and counting though.

Yeah that’s what I’m hoping GMs focus on.

• Like 1

They need to fire Ruff. Toffoli has 25 goals and is not the problem.  I still believe this team is a playoff team as currently constructed, even without Dougie.  They need a new coach that has experience and success at the NHL level.

Ruff can’t figure out the lines.  Players regressed.  He rides every goalie so he can use them as an excuse.  In that 5 game stretch with back to back games, he could have gone with Akita, but chose not too.  Everyone is great until he doesn’t like them.  Holtz, Timo, Akira, etc…

51 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

They need to fire Ruff. Toffoli has 25 goals and is not the problem.  I still believe this team is a playoff team as currently constructed, even without Dougie.  They need a new coach that has experience and success at the NHL level.

Ruff can’t figure out the lines.  Players regressed.  He rides every goalie so he can use them as an excuse.  In that 5 game stretch with back to back games, he could have gone with Akita, but chose not too.  Everyone is great until he doesn’t like them.  Holtz, Timo, Akira, etc…

I’m definitely not trying to imply that Toffoli’s been some major issue.  He scores goals and that’s what he was brought here to do.

BUT, he doesn’t really bring much else, and at times his lack of speed has hurt when Jack’s looking to pass to him and he’s a couple of steps behind.  I think there’s teams where he might be a better fit.

Anyway, given the state of the team, time to get a return for him.  If the Devils were firmly in a playoff spot, I’d hang onto him, and let him walk at season’s end.

Finesse wings don't usually get a first.  Grabner's the flash point for what Toffoli might get...we thought a 2 and Rykov was an overpay then lol (and to be fair ANYthing would have been an overpay with how Grabner did here).

Edited by NJDevs4978

20 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I’m definitely not trying to imply that Toffoli’s been some major issue.  He scores goals and that’s what he was brought here to do.

BUT, he doesn’t really bring much else, and at times his lack of speed has hurt when Jack’s looking to pass to him and he’s a couple of steps behind.  I think there’s teams where he might be a better fit.

Anyway, given the state of the team, time to get a return for him.  If the Devils were firmly in a playoff spot, I’d hang onto him, and let him walk at season’s end.

I agree, if Fitz believes the season is over, then he should trade Toffoli.  I’m just saying he is less of an issue than Ruff.

If Timo didn’t regress or Holtz developed he would have more alternatives.  Ruff was the guy that develops players and gets the most out his players.  He certainly hasn’t lived up to that.  Last year happened despite Ruff.  They were healthy and many had a career year.

Another issue is how many players are playing out of position.  I think this falls on Fitz too.  You have players playing a position their whole life and here comes the Devils and moves them to the opposite side or center to forward.  Today, on the left side, maybe on the right another day.